Flat Towing With Genright Stubby Bumper

Onetime12

Supporting Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
We flat tow our TJ behind out motorhome for trips to river and also off-roading trips. I wanted to get rid of the crappy welded on mounts and install a new Genright Steel Stubby bumper. I did a lot of research for flat towing / bumpers just wanted to give an options for those in my boat.

I know that the Genright bumper is not rated to flat tow from the tow mounts, but I will be constantly checking mounts and bumper for issues. Just finished a 400 mile round trip from Downey, CA to Pirates Cove resort with no issues.

Here is the set up I used.

- Blue Ox tow bar
- Blue Ox tow bar off-road bumper mounts
- Genright Steel Stubby Bumper
- Axle Straps wrapped around front cross member (under brake lines)
- Harborfreight magnetic tow lights.

IMG_9901.jpeg

IMG_9902.jpeg

Here is the previous bumper and weld on mounts.
IMG_9882.jpeg

Reactions: TJ Starting
Damn I think I am required to brake tow as well.

There are a few different types available.

https://www.rvweb.net/best-towed-vehicle-braking-systems-reviewed/
Instead of using the magnetic lights you can also get these kits that integrates into the stock wiring. I used one of these kits on my ex's JK when we towed it behind our motorhome. I used the magnetic lights when I used to tow my TJ behind my truck/camper. Both ways work.

https://www.curtmfg.com/part/55363

Reactions: defenderu
Are you using some type of aux brake system? I've towed without and with before.
As of now I Do Not but I will purchase sometime of braking system, more for when I tow with my Tahoe vs my Motorhome, as my Diesel Pusher is more than capable to handle the TJ, but it definitely wouldn't hurt.

There are a few different types available.

https://www.rvweb.net/best-towed-vehicle-braking-systems-reviewed/
Instead of using the magnetic lights you can also get these kits that integrates into the stock wiring. I used one of these kits on my ex's JK when we towed it behind our motorhome. I used the magnetic lights when I used to tow my TJ behind my truck/camper. Both ways work.

https://www.curtmfg.com/part/55363
I went with the magnetic lights, as to not touch the stock wiring with the integrated harness, it takes all of 2 minutes to set up the magnetic lights.

I towed the JK with a diesel pusher but had the aux brake system just to keep PoPo off us.

And yep the magnetic lights work great. I was just trying to offer more options to people. Honestly after doing both I liked having the integrated wiring.

I toad my TJ basically the same way. I installed the plug-n-play harness for the lights, and purchased the RVi3 brake system. Just did a 2500 mile trip to Moab and Grand Canyon with no issues.

Reactions: Wildman
my Diesel Pusher is more than capable to handle the TJ, but it definitely wouldn't hurt.
While an auxiliary braking system will help the tow rig with lessening the distance to brake in an emergency, a more important reason to run one is when your non tow-rated bumper brackets fail, auxiliary braking units have a break-away pin that applies the brakes to your TJ. This allows you to come to a stop since your motorhome will be "dragging" the TJ by the safety cables only. It would be nice if you bought one sooner than later so the safety of everyone else on the road can benefit. I'm not trying to be shitty about it, but the safety of others and the liability you are putting on yourself by not having one is not worth it. (California is the sue capital of the world I think!!)

There's a thread on here about auxiliary braking systems. I personally use the InvisiBrake and a similar towing system as you and it works GREAT! (JCR bumpers are tow rated by the way) I mounted the unit just slightly behind the driver's seat and I almost forget it's there. Took a couple days but the InvisiBrake was fairly easy to install. Flawless operation so far and it's been in there for 3 years.

While an auxiliary braking system will help the tow rig with lessening the distance to brake in an emergency, a more important reason to run one is when your non tow-rated bumper brackets fail, auxiliary braking units have a break-away pin that applies the brakes to your TJ. This allows you to come to a stop since your motorhome will be "dragging" the TJ by the safety cables only. It would be nice if you bought one sooner than later so the safety of everyone else on the road can benefit. I'm not trying to be shitty about it, but the safety of others and the liability you are putting on yourself by not having one is not worth it. (California is the sue capital of the world I think!!)

There's a thread on here about auxiliary braking systems. I personally use the InvisiBrake and a similar towing system as you and it works GREAT! (JCR bumpers are tow rated by the way) I mounted the unit just slightly behind the driver's seat and I almost forget it's there. Took a couple days but the InvisiBrake was fairly easy to install. Flawless operation so far and it's been in there for 3 years.
I whole heartedly agree and will be purchasing a braking system soon. I also really like the Invisibrake, most likely the system I will purchase!

Reactions: 1904-06LJR
We flat tow our TJ behind out motorhome for trips to river and also off-roading trips. I wanted to get rid of the crappy welded on mounts and install a new Genright Steel Stubby bumper. I did a lot of research for flat towing / bumpers just wanted to give an options for those in my boat.

I know that the Genright bumper is not rated to flat tow from the tow mounts, but I will be constantly checking mounts and bumper for issues. Just finished a 400 mile round trip from Downey, CA to Pirates Cove resort with no issues.

Here is the set up I used.

- Blue Ox tow bar
- Blue Ox tow bar off-road bumper mounts
- Genright Steel Stubby Bumper
- Axle Straps wrapped around front cross member (under brake lines)
- Harborfreight magnetic tow lights.

View attachment 253638

View attachment 253639
Here is the previous bumper and weld on mounts.
View attachment 253640

I know this thread is a bit old, but have you towed more with this genright stubby bumper? I have been wanting to get it for my jeep. I am currently using a body armor bumper that I added the blue ox bolt-on tow brackets to. It worked great but the bumper is bulky and I wanted to clean up the front of the jeep.

20220905_220001.jpg