Front locker or tummy tuck?

locker

I mean lockers

😟 Anyone can run a trail with lockers. My 85 year old mother could drive my TJ, locked, up the Rubicon. It takes skill to run a trail with open diffs.
The new breed jeepers are going soft. Pansy asses.
Learn to drive off road! Then you can teach me something. And I'll shut up.

Something else to think about. Are you running the factory sport bar and windshield brace or are you caged?
With the improved traction from a front locker, you could find yourself lifting a tire (when you least expect it or plan for it) and flop it.

I think you are a little off on that. Extra traction makes it easier to to climb in a controlled manner. Last time out I crawled things that an LJ had to attack to get through. I can see the point that having lockers opens the next level of trails though.

😟 Anyone can run a trail with lockers. My 85 year old mother could drive my TJ, locked, up the Rubicon. It takes skill to run a trail with open diffs.
The new breed jeepers are going soft. Pansy asses.
Learn to drive off road! Then you can teach me something. And I'll shut up.
If you're just trolling ignore this. If you're serious, being from SoCal you should realize that there are a LOT of trails that can't be done with open axles no matter if you're the world's greatest offroad driver. Skill can only take you so far. Lockers are like suspension lifts, they become required once trails get too tough to do without them. And at 71, I can also say "old but still Jeeping". Exactly what SoCal trails do you claim to have conquered with open axles without having resorted to a winch? Us SoCal locker users want to know. Easy trails don't require lockers so if that's all you're doing I can understand your claim lockers are only needed for "pansies".

Last edited:
If you're just trolling ignore this. If you're serious, being from SoCal you need to realize that there are a LOT of trails that can't be done with open axles no matter if you're the world's greatest offroad driver. Skill can only take you so far. Lockers are like suspension lifts, yhey become required once trails get too tough to do without them. And at 71, I can also say "old but still Jeeping". Exactly what SoCal trails do you claim to have conquered with open axles without having resorted to a winch? Us SoCal locker users want to know. Easy trails don't require lockers so if that's all you're doing I can understand your claim lockers are only needed for "pansys".

Well, Jerry, you are correct. I made the error of drinking and posting last night. Frankly, I'm embarrassed. My last two posts in this thread are shamefull. For those I appologize.

I have, however, run many many trails with open diffs here in So Cal, that are rated "locker required". I'm sure you have also.
Not because I'm bitchin, but because us older guys learned to pick a good line to prevent putting a wheel in the air.

Well, Jerry, you are correct. I made the error of drinking and posting last night. Frankly, I'm embarrassed. My last two posts in this thread are shamefull. For those I appologize.

I have, however, run many many trails with open diffs here in So Cal, that are rated "locker required". I'm sure you have also.
Not because I'm bitchin', but because us older guys learned to pick a good line to prevent putting a wheel in the air.
I can agree with that. Here's an example I still get crap on. John Bull is a Big Bear trail we're both local to that I've done many times, it's pretty much known as a locker required trail. But I made it 8-9 years ago after having forgotten to turn my lockers on. While it definitely wasn't pretty, the Jeep made it though I was wondering why it had become extra hard lol. That was right after having had my previous TJ with its F/R automatic lockers stolen & I wasn't used to having to engage my replacement Jeep's selectable lockers. There are a lot of other SoCal trails though where that wouldn't be possible... lockers definitely being required for several of my more enjoyable trails.

Thanks for the reply, it wasn't clear if you were intentionally trolling or not so it's good to read it was just from "drinking and posting" ha! That's why I started my response by "If you are just trolling..." lol. :)

Reactions: OldButStillJeeping
To answer Jerry, and not to hijack this thread... I've run open diffs on Odessa or Dorman(?) I think it's called, in Calico, which has gotten worse over the years. John Bull I've never run, even though I lived "on the mountain" a couple years. Still have a property up there tho. It's just so limited on where you can drive up there. I stick to BLM land in the desert for most part.
Defense mine and the first waterfall in DV. Many "locker rated' club runs at TDS Safari and Cal4Wheel runs when I was a member. Played around at the Hammers, way before the KOH existed. Those hammer trails can hardly be considered a trail. They are rock canyons that jeepers abuse there rigs on. 🙂 Lots of winch time back then.
But back to the OPs question.
Somday I'd like to build low CG TJ, No lift other than a 1" body lift. Tummy Tuck and flat fender it and run 35s with no or maybe a 2" suspension lift. Throw on a SYE, Tom Woods and a winch and call it good. Lockers may come into it. But it would be badass even without lockers.

We're having a big run at Calico 4-12/14 it's a REALLY fun annual run with probably 25-30 Jeeps. Very sane during the day, very fun at night. I think you'd enjoy. You're invited! I'll be leading the run through Doran and Odessa, it'd be great to see you there. We've been doing runs in that group for probably 12-14 years now.

Reactions: OldButStillJeeping
We're having a big run at Calico 4-12/14 it's a REALLY fun annual run with probably 25-30 Jeeps. Very sane during the day, very fun at night. I think you'd enjoy. You're invited! I'll be leading the run through Doran and Odessa, it'd be great to see you there. We've been doing runs in that group for probably 12-14 years now.

Wow! Thank you. I will look into my wifes and my work schedule and we just might be able to pull it off. I'll PM you in a few days.
Still working for the man, April sched isnt posted.

Reactions: Jerry Bransford
Whoo Hoo!
We have a toyhauler for wifeys potty and for showers. Do you guy's camp at the Ghost Town camp?
Yes we do, the 'O' section nearest the road is where we get together for Saturday night's potluck & party. Reserve a campsite now, it often fills up well before we get there. I'll be at campsite O-17 with my tent trailer.

I think you are a little off on that. Extra traction makes it easier to to climb in a controlled manner. Last time out I crawled things that an LJ had to attack to get through. I can see the point that having lockers opens the next level of trails though.
Meaning what?

No comparison, they are two vastly different mods. You can do an Aussie locker install for around 300 bucks and a couple hours of your time. A full TT will be over a grand and take significant work to install. A third option is something in between; Aussie locker in front and the Barnes skid. The Barnes will give you about 1.5" extra clearance without major mods. I assume at 4" you have adjustable control arms to set the pinion angle and a sye. @bobthetj03 installed the same skid and should be able to answer any questions on the install.

Reactions: Jerry Bransford