Front lockouts or Yukon spin free hubs discussion

Since I'm running a Rock Jock HP44 with 30 inner splines, the 27 spline stub takes the abuse. Let's hope it stays that way. I'm still concerned for the future with these AVM steel hubs. I'd like to know more about them when I need to move to them at some point.

I think the concerns are warranted. I don't know what the alternative is should they prove unacceptable though. I know that Milemarker and Omix have never stood out as purveyors of quality. I know that drive flange kits don't work. I know a whole bunch of what doesn't and very little of what does if push comes to shove.

Maybe if the steel body survives and the guts prove to be problematic, we can figure out two things, where to buy the hubs outside of Yukon and how to fix the innards.

Ultimately I need them. But the choice between the 4.5 kit and the 5.5 kit is a turd sandwich.

4.5" kit = change to WMS width leaves you choosing between a very limited wheel choice or more scrub radius than is needed
5.5" = cost a metric butt ton more money if you're not already needing new wheels and tires.
You can switch to a JL/JT wheel to help with scrub radius. The problem then becomes wheel adapters, not the primary problem, and, if you want beadlocks. The latter is more of a significant problem.

Reactions: Longwhitejeep
You can switch to a JL/JT wheel to help with scrub radius. The problem then becomes wheel adapters, not the primary problem, and, if you want beadlocks. The latter is more of a significant problem.

I would love to get my hands on the Mopar beadlock capable 17s that come on the Rubicon 392. I'm gonna have to find some locally though, people on eBay want $2k and up for a set.

I don't necessarily need or want beadlocks, I'm just interested in having a flat ring to take rock damage instead of a comparatively delicate aluminum rim.

Is that rim delicate? Lol!
Rim 1.jpg

So, I had to get another hub as a spare and the only place to call was Randys. I spoke with a "Salesman" and told him that I needed the Warn 37780 lockout hub replacement and I asked if the replacement would be a Warn or AVM as I heard that Warn wasn't making the hubs any longer. After a long confusing conversation (it took him a long time to understand that I had a Warn front hub conversion kit and Yukon took that over and it was now their part number YA WU-07), he said that he had the replacement lockout hubs in stock. Great! I asked him whether they were Warn or AVM. His comment to me was that the picture showed Warn. :rolleyes: Knowing that he really didn't know anything, I ordered them anyway.

This is what I received:
IMG_7706.jpeg

465XP was on the box. They are not solid steel. They are some sort of cast but not sure what exactly. I'll have to weigh them against my Warn hub to get some determination. I'm a little concerned about the inside as the inside piece does not look like bronze as the Warn hubs had. Here are a few more photos of what I recieve

IMG_7702.jpeg

IMG_7703.jpeg

IMG_7704.jpeg

IMG_7705.jpeg

Reactions: Longwhitejeep
So, I had to get another hub as a spare and the only place to call was Randys. I spoke with a "Salesman" and told him that I needed the Warn 37780 lockout hub replacement and I asked if the replacement would be a Warn or AVM as I heard that Warn wasn't making the hubs any longer. After a long confusing conversation (it took him a long time to understand that I had a Warn front hub conversion kit and Yukon took that over and it was now their part number YA WU-07), he said that he had the replacement lockout hubs in stock. Great! I asked him whether they were Warn or AVM. His comment to me was that the picture showed Warn. :rolleyes: Knowing that he really didn't know anything, I ordered them anyway.

This is what I received:
View attachment 454546

465XP was on the box. They are not solid steel. They are some sort of cast but not sure what exactly. I'll have to weigh them against my Warn hub to get some determination. I'm a little concerned about the inside as the inside piece does not look like bronze as the Warn hubs had. Here are a few more photos of what I recieve

View attachment 454547

View attachment 454548

View attachment 454551

View attachment 454552

No that is not bronze. At first glance it looks like possibly sintered iron. @mrblaine you gotten your hands on these yet?

This is what I received:
View attachment 454546

View attachment 454547

View attachment 454548

View attachment 454551

View attachment 454552
Check with Warn's Customer Service dept. I broke a Warn hub several years ago long after they sold their hub line to Yukon and Warn still had a replacement hub for me.

Check with Warn's Customer Service dept. I broke a Warn hub several years ago long after they sold their hub line to Yukon and Warn still had a replacement hub for me.

I don't believe they sold the locking hub line to Yukon given that they still make and sell Warn hub locks. They probably made the distinction between the locking hub kit conversions and the locking hubs themselves. If that is true, then the discontinuation of that hub part number is going to be problematic. They may have some stock for warranty, hopefully that is true.

I did call Warn a couple of months ago and they said they discontinued the 37780 hub lock and there may be some left at some distributors but I'd have to call around.

I have but not with any degree of intense examination. I was pretty sure I stuck a magnet to them but I'll have to verify that.

A magnet definitely sticks to the AVMs and not the Warns. Between the AVMs being steel and the inner part steel as well instead of bronze, it would seem that stub shaft or inner shaft may break before the lock out hubs. This is disconcerting.

A magnet definitely sticks to the AVMs and not the Warns. Between the AVMs being steel and the inner part steel as well instead of bronze, it would seem that stub shaft or inner shaft may break before the lock out hubs. This is disconcerting.
You're screwed if any of those three parts break.

I've taken a few of those hubs apart and I don't recall any bronze parts in them except for make a thrust bearing. I have a few still apart so I can dig through them to see if I remember it correctly.

I think from the looks of it that the AVM 465 HP would be the better over choice over the 465 XP but I guarantee that there will be no way in hell to convince Yukon of that. Hope they enjoy the extra broken axle shaft warranty claims they will most likely deny anyway.

I think from the looks of it that the AVM 465 HP would be the better over choice over the 465 XP but I guarantee that there will be no way in hell to convince Yukon of that. Hope they enjoy the extra broken axle shaft warranty claims they will most likely deny anyway.

What is the difference between the 465HP and the 465XP? I haven't seen them side by side.