Front lockouts or Yukon spin free hubs discussion

I had not noticed this thread until this morning. It reminded me of when I was researching manual hub kits in 2018.
https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/advice-needed-choosing-a-manual-locking-hub-conversion-kit.16093/

Milemarker had a kit using AVM hubs manufactured in Brasil, so did Rugged Ridge, but comments about the hubs on the various boards weren't particularly positive. Another guy known as the "Ram Man" also marketed a kit using AVM hubs and a modified Timken unit bearing, but he came across in his promotional videos as a snake oil salesman so his kit was off my list as well. At least one of the suppliers recommended a maximum tire size of 33" with AVM hubs and Randy's/Yukon had no positive comments about them. I decided to stay away from kits using AVM hubs because I run 35" tires. How ironic that 5 years later Yukon is using AVM hubs.

I purchased the Yukon 5x5.5 manual hub kit (YU-WA-08) on Amazon, sale price $1,078.41. Black Magic 16" brakes were installed at the same time. I sold my 5x4.5" wheels and purchased a new set of 5x5.5" wheels, but re-mounted my existing Mickey Thompson 35" tires. A few months later I was able to purchase a pair of spare Yukon hubs, bearings, seals, etc. from a board member at a good price.

I have not experienced any negative issues with my Yukon hub 5x5.5 hub kit, have not yet needed any of the spare parts, and would make the same decision again.

View attachment 450023

I'm running the same setup (including the brakes) and have been very happy with it as well.

IMG_4375 (2).JPG