Front Lower Spring Mount

RobertJ

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
Hey everyone. I have a badly rusted lower front spring mount on my passenger side. After I pulled the cup off I was left with this.

20190803_094349.jpg

Any recommendations for a patch? I have Googled like crazy and am not sure I can find what I need. I found a video where a guy fabricated his own, but a patch would make this 10 times easier.

Hey everyone. I have a badly rusted lower front spring mount on my passenger side. After I pulled the cup off I was left with this.

View attachment 107843

Any recommendations for a patch? I have Googled like crazy and am not sure I can find what I need. I found a video where a guy fabricated his own, but a patch would make this 10 times easier.
My patch would consist of removing a handful of fasteners, sliding that rusted hulk out from under the rig and replacing the whole thing with another one. That said, if you want to cut the whole perch off of the axle tube and replace it with a sound version, I can dig one up if you want to pay shipping for it.

My patch would consist of removing a handful of fasteners, sliding that rusted hulk out from under the rig and replacing the whole thing with another one. That said, if you want to cut the whole perch off of the axle tube and replace it with a sound version, I can dig one up if you want to pay shipping for it.

I hear you, and the thought is crossing my mind. I will reach out to you regading the perch. Thank you for the offer.

Last edited:
I would replace the front axle. Especially if it’s a stock Dana 30. Easy to find and cheap.

It is a stock Dana 30. I just took my plasma cutter to it just to get a better look at it. Not sure how easy it would be to find one that didn't have the same issues in N/VA.

20190803_104452.jpg

Cheapest Dana 30 I've seen is 200 bucks down here in the south. Factor in shipping and your probably closer to 350.00 minimum with freight shipping to a business address. So far I'm not finding much of anything under 180 bucks for spring mounts. Jeep Hut has some but I don't know if I'd go that route or not... Then again, I can't weld

Reactions: RobertJ
You could fix it for less than 350 yourself, but what will the rust monster hit next?
Time for a road trip.......

Reactions: RobertJ
So I found these patches for $58: (Dorman 523-280 Coil Spring Mount Kit)

Capture.JPG

I'm going to give them a shot anyway. The shock mounts are solid, and I can patch the rest with scrap metal. I'll let you guys know how it goes.