Front Runner Tailgate Table

Marklar1983

Average Joe
Supporting Member
I've been looking for a tailgate table that balances cost and function. The Overlander is nice and shiny, but more than I wanted to spend. I caught a sale on the Front Runner Outfitters table (https://www.frontrunneroutfitters.com/en/us/drop-down-tailgate-table-mkiii.html) and figured I'd take a couple pictures and share my experience. Tl;dr: The Front Runner table is easy to install in a TJ, and only requires modification/removal of the rear tail light wiring cover. I have a suggestion for that at the end.

First impressions: Solid, well built, good instructions for JK and JL installation. Lots of hardware and standoffs included for different vehicle installation. Packing material is light, and a corner of the table got dented in transit. Damage is minor and affects only form, not fit or function.

table 1.jpg

table 2.jpg

Additional tools: 10mm wrench to disassemble hinges, 4mm Allen driver for drill to set flange nuts (I used a Rivnut tool).

First, remove the plastic caps from the two screws closest to each hinge, and take the hinge screws out to separate the table from the tailgate frame. This makes the install a lot easier. Pay attention to the arrangement of the plastic bushings on each screw.
table 3.jpg

table 4.jpg

Do not use a level to align the frame on the tailgate unless you confirm that the tailgate is also level. Working by myself, it was easier to align the top of the frame with the top fold in the sheet metal. However, that put the top mounting holes really close to the internal structure of the tailgate, so I recommend shifting it 0.5" to 1" lower. Mark, drill, and install the top holes before marking the bottom.
table 7.jpg

Test fit with the top bolts installed
table 6.jpg

The flange nut tool provided requires a powered driver with a 4mm Allen. A rivnut tool worked for me. Install the nuts so the threaded ring is flush with the surface.
table 10.jpg

table 11.jpg

Reattach the table to the frame before attaching the frame to the tailgate. The shorter screw is the pivot, the longer screw runs in the slot. Leave the nylock nuts a little loose and tighten to your preference once installed.
table 14.jpg

Use the hardware recommended for the JK (short spacer with matching bolt and washers.)
table 12.jpg

And done!
table 13.jpg

table 15.jpg

Mine barely clears the bottom edge of the soft top bar, which is another reason to lower it a little bit.
table 17.jpg

If you want/need to keep the rear taillight, it should be easy to do. The wire goes through the tailgate approximately where the red circle is. The only modification is to remove the plastic cover from the taillight wiring and cut off the tab that secures the cover.
1701809081032.png

Nice writeup. Looks like a solid option.

That said, I have the Bestop InstaTrunk and just about any tailgate table sits higher than the top of the InstaTrunk preventing the tailgate from closing. Bummer but a necessary evil with soft top only and being in the NE.

Reactions: Marklar1983
Nice writeup. Looks like a solid option.

That said, I have the Bestop InstaTrunk and just about any tailgate table sits higher than the top of the InstaTrunk preventing the tailgate from closing. Bummer but a necessary evil with soft top only and being in the NE.

I have one, too. It’s just 4 bolts to remove, same as the table, so I’ll swap them as needed.

I have one, too. It’s just 4 bolts to remove, same as the table, so I’ll swap them as needed.

Do you mean you pull out the InstaTrunk and install the table as needed?

That wouldn't work for me. Very often I don't know I am leaving for the trails until a few hours before I leave. It's hard enough to have to install the Bestop cargo basket, the Trasheroo and the RotoPax.