Front Shock Shaft Exposed at Ride Height

richardh

Supporting Member
I'm installing new springs on my TJ, and I have a question about how much shock shaft is ideal to expose. I went from a Rubicon Express spring to a John Currie spring. 4" lift for both.

I don't have previous measurements from the Rubicon Express springs.

I just put the TJ down on 4 wheels for the 1st time after the install to measure the ride height.

The rancho has 10" of shaft when fully extended. When the TJ is on 4 wheels, the front shock has 6 1/4" of showing.

What is the ideal amount? I would imagine about 5", but I'm not sure.

Factory was 4". You have more uptravel currently (not a bad thing). But pull your springs out and cycle your suspension to make sure everything has a place to go at full bump and not crashing into each other. The more room things have, the better your ride quality will be.

Reactions: macleanflood
I'm installing new springs on my TJ, and I have a question about how much shock shaft is ideal to expose. I went from a Rubicon Express spring to a John Currie spring. 4" lift for both.

I don't have previous measurements from the Rubicon Express springs.

I just put the TJ down on 4 wheels for the 1st time after the install to measure the ride height.

The rancho has 10" of shaft when fully extended. When the TJ is on 4 wheels, the front shock has 6 1/4" of showing.

What is the ideal amount? I would imagine about 5", but I'm not sure.

Yes, 50/50 would be ideal.
Your springs may settle a little.
Are you actually able to use all that travel, or are there other clearance issues?

I "should" be able to use all the travel. When cycling the suspension with 35" tires mounted without springs from full droop to full stuff, there are no clearance issues.

If I had a set of 37" around, I think I would have no clearance issues with those either. 🤔

Agreed, 50/50 ideally. Remember to articulate the axle too in case you haven't, meaning one side full droop, other side fully compressed. This puts the compressed wheel a lot closer to stuff than just raising the axle up. Test steering lock to lock too of course.

You also want to consider when your springs begin to unseat. Any down travel past that isn't really doing anything for you.

I "should" be able to use all the travel. When cycling the suspension with 35" tires mounted without springs from full droop to full stuff, there are no clearance issues.

If I had a set of 37" around, I think I would have no clearance issues with those either. 🤔

It’s not just about tire clearance. At 6” of up travel I would be looking at diff to trackbar clearance, and also track bar to driver side axle coil mount.

As the axle cycles up, it swings to the passenger side because of the track bar, I had to cut a chuck out of my driver side coil mount to solve this.

Best to pull your springs and cycle the suspension and see what your clearances really are.