Front Speakers: What am I missing here?

Bayou Hazard

I bought all new stereo gear for my wife's TJ. When I pulled the front original 4x6 speakers, I realized that the 4x6 infinity's I bought would never fit. Then I looked at it and I have no idea what WOULD fit, or how they would mount (see the pic). What am I missing here? Mounting Brackets? I'm really good with stereo installs but this has me scratching my head.

Thanks,
Jim

IMG_E8035.JPG

Most people throw some 5.25" speakers in there. You need a bracket/adapter to be able to fit them. If you order from Crutchfield, you'll get the bracket and a wiring adapter to retain the factory plug.

The Polk DB522 is a really popular speaker. I have those in my Jeep. They sound great and are marine rated.

I just installed 4x6s from Crutchfield as well. The adaptor bracket was included. That’s the only way I think they would fit. I think you can buy them separately from crutchfield for no more than $10. It was a universal bracket.

B20999FE-F0E3-4188-A14E-65DC70A94410.png

Reactions: TJMIKE
I'm not sure if it was the 5.25 you had to modify as well, but for mine I had to cut out that little bracket there and then use the supplied bracket from Crutchfield. Simple but if I didn't find that info here on the forum I would have been lost.

I installed 5.25" speakers from Crutchfield, with their supplied brackets, and did not need to cut the metal frame shown above.

I installed the speakers into the bracket first, then the whole assembly into the dash, FWIW....

Last edited:
I’ve never seen those pods before. I saw some pictures of people stuffing polystyrene behind the speakers in the dash. So u would just install this instead?
yeah, you just toss your speakers in there and can trim the excess. I used these and some poly fill for the front speakers, and then just poly fill for the sound bar. Realistically the front speakers are mounted at such a crappy direction you don't get a ton of sound from them unless you fade it a lot to the front (if you have a windscreen up or something)

Reactions: skrelnik
Early TJs did not use a standard 4x6 speakers, they had different mounting bolt locations. Meaning aftermarket 4x6 speakers would not fit out out modifying the TJ's mounting plate. I did that to my '97 TJ and installed standard 4x6 speakers, it took maybe 30-60 minutes to cut/trim them to get the speakers mounted. Later model TJs went to a standard 4x6 mounting bolt configuration so aftermarket speakers mount without difficulty.

Yes 5.25" speakers are better but since you already have non-returnable 4x6 speakers, you might as well do what I did to make them work.

yeah, you just toss your speakers in there and can trim the excess. I used these and some poly fill for the front speakers, and then just poly fill for the sound bar. Realistically the front speakers are mounted at such a crappy direction you don't get a ton of sound from them unless you fade it a lot to the front (if you have a windscreen up or something)
I just ordered some of those baffles too. Those fronts are impossible to hear unless you fade the sound almost completely forward like another poster said. I hope this helps atleast a little.

Reactions: Cole
I just ordered some of those baffles too. Those fronts are impossible to hear unless you fade the sound almost completely forward like another poster said. I hope this helps atleast a little.
Are u running amp? I am planning on running those Polk db522 speakers. There rated for 100 rms. It seems really powerful for a 5.25 speaker. With out a amp you will never see the full potential of those speakers. I can see it being hard to hear the dash speakers though considering the close proximity that the sound bar is to your head. That’s pretty much all you will ever hear