Front tire, outside edge wear

WallyWest

TJ Addict
Just on the passenger front. The edge of the tread is getting rounded off. Driver side is ok, although perhaps a hint of the same thing. Not much, only because I was really looking.

Too much toe in? I would think that would affect both equally.

IMG_20220529_150847388.jpg

I’d say it’s from making right hand turns. Most all right hand turns are tight turns and put stress on the outside edge of the tire especially when going too fast around turns. You won’t see it on the driver tire since left turns aren’t as sharp as right turns.. just my $.02

How is the wear height in the center versus the outside blocks, are your tire pressures correct? If it's just the edge it's probably how you are driving and tire pressure. If it's even wear an inch or so in then it's more likely toe related but like you said, it would more likely be both. Hopefully it's not bent stuff and camber issues. In any case I'd be sure you rotate like @Thunderhead suggested, for me at a minimum when I change the oil.

Center looks ok, there's just some scrubbing going on at the outside edge. Maybe about an inch in as well. Going to check alignment but I did that a few months back when I did the ZJ steering upgrade.

They're 30 inch General Grabbers, I run them at 27 PSI. Checked regularly. They all hold pressure just fine.

Planning on control arms soon, I know the fronts are worn out. Not sure if that could be part of it. Nothing under there is bashed up, bent or anything.

Driving is almost entirely around town, nothing crazy.

Reactions: pagrey
It doesn't look terrible in the pictures, if it drives okay and the wear isn't completely out of wack I'd just keep an eye on it and run with it.

check your alignment. mine was wearing passenger tire more than the drivers and was wondering all over the road. good alignment and tire rotation cured it.

Given you can make a tyre alignment kit in about 10 minutes out of a tape measure, a couple of lengths of 2x1 sticks and a pair of old elastic cargo straps I would be doing that in the first instance and seeing what you have. My pax side tyre was completely blown out and it was all down to toe in.