Front wheel bearing replacement on 02 Sahara

CODE5

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
I have successfully pulled the wheel bearing assembly off the front of the Dana 30. I'm planning to replace the rotors, calipers, pads, etc.

The only thing that concerns me is that when I pulled the hub assembly the u-joint and inner axle came out with it. I cleaned everything up and am planning to get the hub installed. Is there anything special I need to do with putting that axle rod back in so it lines up safety in the front differential? I noticed when I cleaned it up that the little black plastic thing on the axel doesn't sit flush like it did originally. When I placed it back in to test fit I checked and I can spin the wheel and the other front wheel spins like it is in the gear.

Pic below:

IMG_2444.JPEG

IMG_2452.jpeg

Sounds normal. Just be careful not to tear the axle seal when putting the axle in.
There is not a in or out of gear on the differential.

Reactions: CODE5
Yes, know that there's an inner seal the tip of the axle shaft has to pass through on its way to the differential. Rest the axle shaft on the axle tube opening and as you shove it inward, push down on its backside to raise the tip so it can find its way through the seal. Once it's past the seal, you may need to very slightly rotate the shaft so the spines fit together properly. Pushing too hard before the shaft's tip is past the seal can damage the seal so take it easy. :)

Reactions: ColoJeep and CODE5
Yes, know that there's an inner seal the tip of the axle shaft has to pass through on its way to the differential. Rest the axle shaft on the axle tube opening and as you shove it inward, push down on its backside to raise the tip so it can find its way through the seal. Once it's past the seal, you may need to very slightly rotate the shaft so the spines fit together properly. Pushing too hard before the shaft's tip is past the seal can damage the seal so take it easy. :)
Good to know! Yeah I gently placed it back in and slowly turned until I felt like it was back in place and then the other wheel turned so I think I'm good. I just was afraid to tighten everything up until I found out a little more information. So far so good! :)