FRP tuning for 97-06 TJs

Hi everyone, Ryan at Flyin' Ryan Performance here.

Some of you may know us, some maybe not .
We specialize in Dodge/Jeep/Chrysler engine and transmission calibration, from 96 model year to present day. We have been doing so since 2011.
As it pertains to this forum, I cover the 97 (96.5 if you really want to split hairs) thru 06 TJ. YES this includes the 2.4 and 2.5.

We have been tuning these engines for the last 10 years. We have held the pump gas 4.0-based HP and 1/4 mile record , while still running a factory controller. We have held such records for 5 years running.

What makes FRP unique , aside from our dedication to excellence and extensive background specific to these platforms, is the fact we specialize in tuning these Jeeps remotely.
Gone are the days of having to do hit-and-miss mail order flashes to the tune of 400.00 a pop. No more piggyback controllers, or aux injectors that constantly fight the factory controller.
I have tuned Jeeps in 14 different countries and understand how to extract maximum safe power on a given fuel for a given application.

The gist of the process consists of:
1) buy a package off of our website- canned tunes are for stock or bolt on Jeeps, more modified Jeeps need custom tuning
2) With SCT you would load the base (or canned) tune, with HPTuners you would send us the tune from your Jeep specifically
3) after loading a base tune, datalog based on our instructions
4) I will send a revised tune - load and datalog
5) rinse, lather, repeat- canned tunes usually require no revising, custom NA or Boost tunes usually require 5-7 tunes from start to finish.

If you have a badass stroker engine, huge cam, want to run E85 or 15 psi of boost.....we can tune for it! FRP is the only OEM controller solution where drivability is not compromised in a highly modified application.

For those of you looking for in-person tuning, we have facilities in both Houston, and Tyler Texas. I am located at the Houston facility, Tyler is a satellite facility where I remote tune anything that comes in.

I am not much for forums - not much time for it these days, but I'll try to answer any questions that come up.

Regards,
Ryan Hogan
Owner, Flyin' Ryan Performance
The Woodlands, Texas

Last edited:
Nice to see you finally joined Ryan.

I have an FRP tune on my 4.0 as many of you already know, and in case you haven't seen me raving about how amazing it is already, I will say that it completely transformed the way my 4.0 drives, no joke.

I'd also like to add that I am not paid or endorsed by Ryan, nor did I receive anything for free. This tune really is a game changer in terms of waking up the 4.0.

You won't know what you've been missing until you try it, and after you do purchase it you'll be thanking me for having done so.

Ryan's tuning my stroker now! People really underestimate how important this is in the Jeep stroker community for some reason. I strongly recommend getting Ryan to tune your rig.

Side note--Ryan, would you say 9.75:1 is too high of compression to consider slapping a turbo on my stroker? 😊

Won't be tuning my 4.0L but I'm very familiar with your work on the 5.2/5.9 Magnums. I'm currently converting my 408 stroker Magnum in my 93 Dodge to OBD-II just so I can use your tunes... I hope to reach out in the next couple of days! :)

Reactions: Wildman
So what kind of actual gains are we talking about? And what does it do to the MPG's? 5 more HP to cut fuel economy in half? I'm stuck with E85 here in NY. The rest of you probably will too with the new administration pencil-whipping the Constitution. So what could realistically be done to the 4.0 having to burn ethanol gas? Fuel prices will have to rise soon now (my area has gone up $.25 already this week alone) so being stuck with E85, what can be done to a 4.0 to help improve economy and still help pep it up?

— I don't mean to sound dick-ish. If it comes off that way I apologize. —🐐

Ryan's tuning my stroker now! People really underestimate how important this is in the Jeep stroker community for some reason. I strongly recommend getting Ryan to tune your rig.

Side note--Ryan, would you say 9.75:1 is too high of compression to consider slapping a turbo on my stroker? 😊
Hey Chris- I owe you an email !

9.75 is not too much, although with as sensitive as yours has been to timing, I may want to toss a larger camshaft in to bleed off some cyl pressure.

So what kind of actual gains are we talking about? And what does it do to the MPG's? 5 more HP to cut fuel economy in half? I'm stuck with E85 here in NY. The rest of you probably will too with the new administration pencil-whipping the Constitution. So what could realistically be done to the 4.0 having to burn ethanol gas? Fuel prices will have to rise soon now (my area has gone up $.25 already this week alone) so being stuck with E85, what can be done to a 4.0 to help improve economy and still help pep it up?

I see a Prius forum in your future.

None taken. In 10 years of tuning, I have had to overcome alot of skepticism.
There is alot of "Fake News" in the Jeep community about what can and cannot be done with regards to tuning.

As far as a garden variety stock or bolt on Jeep 4.0, on 87 we pick up 15-20 whp/20-25 wtq across the ENTIRE RPM RANGE, from 1500 to 5300 rpm. (That's with our canned tune). That was our result on our 2004 4.0 5 spd TJ guinea pig, with 34" MTs and steel wheels so nothing done to fluff the numbers any.
On most of the other Chrysler platforms I tune, a typical increase from tuning alone without any further mechanical changes is about 5-8% on premium fuel.
The 4.0 picks up about 12% in contrast, and does so across the entire curve! Without the expense of premium gas!

I have not tested a 4.0 on 93 or E85, but I would expect the gains to be fairly minimal over 87 octane. Just not enough compression or cylinder pressure to properly utilize the extra octane.
Most of the 4.0 based engines I've had on the Dyno over the years have been strokers. And on those we net 50+ wtq with premium fuel and my tuning.

With regards to fuel economy, the drag profile of the TJ specifically makes it difficult to get any measurable improvement. On other platforms 1-2 mpg improvement is typical (albeit not guaranteed) , but on the TJ our findings have been that fuel economy stayed about the same.

What kind of hp and torque gains can one expect when having a tune done to a stock 4.0?
Are the improvement across the whole rpm range or are they just up top?
Any fuel mileage improvements?

What kind of hp and torque gains can one expect when having a tune done to a stock 4.0?
Are the improvement across the whole rpm range or are they just up top?
Any fuel mileage improvements?
Read what he just wrote above. He mentioned the numbers to expect on a factory 4.0.

Having the tune on my 4.0, I can attest to there being an extremely noticeable difference in power and drivability throughout the RPM range.

Do you mean E15? E85 is typically used to refer to an 85% ethanol/15% gasoline blend.

Reactions: pc1p
Hi Ryan,

I spoke with you on FB a while back. It's good timing as I'll need custom tuning for my supercharged 4.7 build, shortly.

Reactions: Wranglerfix
So as a guy that knows nothing about tuning or tuners, what would I need to order from you for my stock 2005 4.0 6spd? I've had quick looks at tuners in the past, but the cost to get stuff to Canada has been damn near the cost of the tuner itself.

The most noticable gains I think most TJ owners will appreciate is under the curve i.e. down around normal driving rpms. That's what got my attention with the first tune I loaded gun Ryan. Part and full throttle rpm below 3k rpm is what I mean. People love to compare peak hp/tq figures but that doesn't capture the biggest improvement. Just taking it for a spin compared to stock will though.

I'm stuck with E85 here in NY. The rest of you probably will too with the new administration pencil-whipping the Constitution. So what could realistically be done to the 4.0 having to burn ethanol gas? ..... what can be done to a 4.0 to help improve economy and still help pep it up?

A very big turbo turned up to 11, bigger fuel pump, injectors, and one of Ryan's tunes. E85 does not have the same energy density as gasoline and requires considerably more volume thus the bigger injectors and fuel pump.

Reactions: williambmac
Read what he just wrote above. He mentioned the numbers to expect on a factory 4.0.

Having the tune on my 4.0, I can attest to there being an extremely noticeable difference in power and drivability throughout the RPM range.
This definitely peaked my interest. What tuner did you use and was it a canned or custom tune?