Frustrated - Engine Chugging

RonT

I have a 2005 Wrangler X, 4.0L inline six with 125K miles. Suddenly the Jeep will start chugging while driving down the road then shuts down.I have replaced both the Cam and Crank shaft position sensors, two O2 sensors, installed new plugs and the coil pack. Neither of which solved the problem. When this happens, I turn off the ignition key and restart the engine it will run again but the problem repeats. Sometimes I can drive it for day or two with no problem, sometimes it occurs repeatedly.
I'm at a loss. Has anyone experienced this issue and how did you fix it?

Oh... I also really hope you used OE Mopar sensors for the replacements. If not, you may have found your problem!

Reactions: KCsTJ
I failed to mention, yes it throws à check engine light. The Codes were recorded on the check engine scanner. Thats why i replaced the sensors, to no availe $350. later. I have since learned the cam/crank sensors send the message that something is wrong, but not these sensors, hench, check engine light. Since it feels like a misfire I changed plugs then the coil pack. No change.

Last edited:
A code doesn't really tell you what is wrong; it gives the starting point for the diagnostic process.

So if the code says #2 cylinder is missing there is a good chance it has nothing at all to do with ignition or fuel, the problem could be a blown head gasket or leaky valve.

And that is why having a good mechanic with at least $5,000 of proper tools for a friend and paying for the diagnosis actually saves money.

I didn't pay my friend and mechanic, Dex, to diagnose the slight surge as the torque converter unlocked and locked.
Four dealers and two nationwide transmission franchises told me I needed a new transmission but I passed on the idea because the engineer at Amsoil went over my transmission fluid lab test and he said there was nothing mechanically wrong. I somehow stumbled on the culprit and replaced the faulty throttle position sending unit, for $9.00, and it was working fine when I sold the truck with 623,000 miles on that transmission.

Code was for a missing cylinder.

10626190_10204730849497388_242086625146280090_o.jpg

Last edited:
Finally. I have solved the mystery. All this time I had a control wire to the starter that was it the process of breaking off. On my way home the jeep chugged and the check engine light turned off . Next morning it wouldn't even click. Went to the starter and found a wire with no connecter. Hope this find will help éthers.

Reactions: Tigerman and Shatto
Knock on wood, no problème since the repair. Bizar that a damaged starter control wire would cause the engine to chug and knock out the instrument panel. I hope others can gain from my expérience

Reactions: Chris
Knock on wood, no problème since the repair. Bizar that a damaged starter control wire would cause the engine to chug and knock out the instrument panel. I hope others can gain from my expérience

Thanks for the update. That is bizarre, but I’m glad the issue seems to be solved.

Thanks for the update. That is bizarre, but I’m glad the issue seems to be solved.
Same problem has resurfaced. I have no idea where to start. Might have to wait until something breaks and take it from there.

Same problem has resurfaced. I have no idea where to start. Might have to wait until something breaks and take it from there.

Sounds like you have a poor connection somewhere. Post a picture of your battery and the connections to it. Take a picture of the starter wiring also.

Reactions: Chris
Sounds like you have a poor connection somewhere. Post a picture of your battery and the connections to it. Take a picture of the starter wiring also.

Sounds like either this or bad pre-cats.

What are pre-cats and where are they located?
Interesting enough the jeep runs fine on my way to work in the afternoon. At night driving home is when it acts up. The only change I can see is now my headlights are on.
I'm going to check my ground connections, clean them up and make sure the contacts are good. Does anybody know where I can find a wiring diagram for this TJ?

Update.
I found the gremlin that has caused the chugging. A corroded headlight connector plug; I replaced the plug and have been driving problem free for three days.
What I don’t get is why a non-relevant electrical connection would take over the motor functions. That’s crazy!
At any rate, hopefully others with a similar issue can learn from this.
That is twice now that I have had engine problems cause by an unrelated electrical connection.