Fuel Pump Change

AJ'sLJ

Hello Jeepers,

I couldn't figure out how to message someone Individually so sorry if this has been asked and answered but here we go.

I have an 06 Unlimited with the inline 6 and I need to change my fuel pump. When I pump gas I have to go slow and my gauge is not reading correctly. I've seen others install non OEM pumps. Any recommendations and why would be helpful. Also, what else should I replace while in in this process. I want to buy once, cry once.

Thanks,

AJ

I used a Delphi pump in mine and it hasn't given me any trouble. I have seen a few other say the same. If you're dropping the tank you may want to use that as an opportunity to do some rust control in the area between the skid plate and the frame.

Hello Jeepers,

I couldn't figure out how to message someone Individually so sorry if this has been asked and answered but here we go.

I have an 06 Unlimited with the inline 6 and I need to change my fuel pump. When I pump gas I have to go slow and my gauge is not reading correctly. I've seen others install non OEM pumps. Any recommendations and why would be helpful. Also, what else should I replace while in in this process. I want to buy once, cry once.

Thanks,

AJ

Click my name, and look where it says "start conversation". That is how you PM.

I've had no issues 3 months on an O'Reilly's pump (Don't worry, I knocked on my desk). Because your sender and fuel delivery seem to be off, check the connection that (if it's the same on 2006 as it is on 03, which it should) is right behind the driver side wheel. It may just be corroded. You being in Cali, I doubt your carriage bolts will spin out but if they do, make sure you have a set. 7 bolts, 7 retainers, and 7 nuts. Anti-seize them after. Cali or not, you will never have an issue after that.

Delphi and Bosch are available on RockAuto for $165.

Now I’ve seen it all.
Amazon “can’t” ship a replacement fuel pump to CA. 🤦‍♂️

IMG_5587.jpeg

• Wow
Reactions: Irun and Danarch
Click my name, and look where it says "start conversation". That is how you PM.

I've had no issues 3 months on an O'Reilly's pump (Don't worry, I knocked on my desk). Because your sender and fuel delivery seem to be off, check the connection that (if it's the same on 2006 as it is on 03, which it should) is right behind the driver side wheel. It may just be corroded. You being in Cali, I doubt your carriage bolts will spin out but if they do, make sure you have a set. 7 bolts, 7 retainers, and 7 nuts. Anti-seize them after. Cali or not, you will never have an issue after that.

Delphi and Bosch are available on RockAuto for $165.

I think you have to have something like 20 posts before you can initiate a private message with people.

Reactions: Cooper Smith
The OEM unit which is made by Bosch, is available on Amazon for 150 bucks at the moment.

To fix the slow fill and burping, you have to remove the valve in the tank and sand it down.

https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/wrangler-tj-gas-overflow-fix.244/

Yes, if you have the pump nozzle kicking off and slow fuel flow when filling up, do this.

Basically, pulling the plunger cage off, filing down all the little ridges on the plunger some and putting it back together.

IMG_6245.jpeg

IMG_6239.jpeg

Reactions: Irun
Now I’ve seen it all.
Amazon “can’t” ship a replacement fuel pump to CA. 🤦‍♂️

View attachment 521386

I'm in Oregon. Let me know if you need me to help you smuggle parts over the border.

I've got a month on a $58 Brute Power pump from Rock Auto. No issues so far. Allegedly designed in the USA.

-Mac

Most every brand (except Bosch and Brute Power) are made in China. I originally bought a Napa pump, then returned it when I saw Made in China on it.

Last edited:
Reactions: TimV
I did a little bit of digging and Amazon MAY not ship these to CA because of Prop 65. They (CA) doesn't care about the human rights violations of child labor, but they are hell bent on protecting us from the cancer that a fuel pump could cause...
For shit sake, it's not like we are planning on eating them!

This place is just getting dumber, and dumber, and dumber.

Reactions: MountaineerTom
Yes, most likely.

When it sticks in the up position it will do that.

If it sticks in the down position, it will flow freely. So freely that all the sudden when it’s full it just dumps fuel everywhere out of the filler neck.

At least that was my case.

I just did that to mine last year. But I will say it was doing that randomly since I bought the Jeep. I started running Chevron Techron fuel system cleaner every so often. Mostly when taking it on a trip where I would drive constant for a few hours and run a whole tank out. After a handful of treatments, I went a few years without the overflowing happening. Maybe a coincidence, I don’t know. It held me over until I had another reason to remove the fuel tank (putting a a Savvy tank skid on).