Fuel Pump Replacement

There was never a tj 15 gallon tank. It was a marketing ploy. There are tons of threads talking about removing a section of tube inside the tank so it will fill up with 19 gallons.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

There was never a tj 15 gallon tank. It was a marketing ploy. There are tons of threads talking about removing a section of tube inside the tank so it will fill up with 19 gallons.
Not true, early TJs that were very basic stripped-down models came with physically smaller 15 gallon tanks with a different part number. It was only later the factory started using all 19 gallon tanks with the vent tube modified to limit the ability to fill them with more than 15 gallons if the TJ was a stripped down model.

Reactions: KCsTJ and Squatch
thats not a bad price...I thought it was discontinued....it is looking like I will need to drop the tank to fix the overflow issue, @104K I should probably do the pump at same time.

thats not a bad price...I thought it was discontinued....it is looking like I will need to drop the tank to fix the overflow issue, @104K I should probably do the pump at same time.
It would not hurt to buy a spare one. If your is still the OEM and not causing issues. Still has good pressure. I would run it till it dies.

I swapped my fuel pump when I replaced my tank. It wasn't OEM. but it is now.

Now the caveat when you drop your tank i believe you will be pulling the pump. If something happens to it a spare would be a good thing to have on hand. Also if its a cheap aftermarket pump then you can easily swap it.

Reactions: KCsTJ
Never seen or heard that, they must be rare.
Not true, early TJs that were very basic stripped-down models came with physically smaller 15 gallon tanks with a different part number. It was only later the factory started using all 19 gallon tanks with the vent tube modified to limit the ability to fill them with more than 15 gallons if the TJ was a stripped down model.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

@Jerry Bransford do you have advise for someone with the 15 gallon tank? I planned to pick up a Bosch fuel pump for my '97 SE so when the time comes I can replace it. I read your comments and checked my build sheet and it indicates a 15.3 gallon tank. Also, my door sticker shows a manufacture date of 4/96. For what it's worth, Advance Auto indicates that the Bosch 67655 will fit my vehicle. Thanks for your help.

@Jerry Bransford do you have advise for someone with the 15 gallon tank? I planned to pick up a Bosch fuel pump for my '97 SE so when the time comes I can replace it. I read your comments and checked my build sheet and it indicates a 15.3 gallon tank. Also, my door sticker shows a manufacture date of 4/96. For what it's worth, Advance Auto indicates that the Bosch 67655 will fit my vehicle. Thanks for your help.
The fuel pump assembly has an internal spring to self-adjust for height so it'll fit.

Reactions: RussTJ
P.S. You can also just replace the small fuel pump module by itself. The fuel pump module also includes the check valve that is the usual cause for fuel pump assembly replacements.

I'm hearing what sounds like a bird chirping noise coming from my passenger rear area, it only does it for a few minutes at startup. Does a fuel pump do that before it kicks the bucket or is it the emissions vacuum pump that is above the passenger rear tire? I've had an emissions related evap leak code for a little while now

Never heard anyone mention a fuel pump chirping. Not a bad CV joint in an aftermarket rear driveshaft is it?
No it's at startup when stationary. Cant confirm it's the fuel pump but can confirm its rear and most likely passenger side area.

Still have oem shaft, raising the TC drop kit from PO and ordering TW this week.

Possibly evap pump trying to create a vacuum and failing maybe?

I can try to be more specific when I return home, I'll post a new thread but figured while we were on fuel pumps if anyone else had tweety bird noises.

Last edited: