Fuel pump shut off

dschwes

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
Is anyone else having an issue when you top off your tank and the pump doesn’t automatically shut off and you’re left standing in a pool of gasoline or worse, you have gas all over your shoes and pant legs? Every time I fill it the gas tank to capacity it does this. It’s not gas station specific so that isn’t the issue. Just curious if anyone knows what causes this.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yup, they changed the filler neck design and there's a check valve in the tank. Money is on modifying the check valve being the way to go.

i have an '06 that also had that issue.
With the fuel tank down and fuel pump removed you can reach inside and remove the the plastic check valve and remove a little material to make it function like new.

On edit: I elected to go this route because I was dropping the gas tank for another skid.

Reactions: dschwes
i have an '06 that also had that issue.
With the fuel tank down and fuel pump removed you can reach inside and remove the the plastic check valve and remove a little material to make it function like new.

On edit: I elected to go this route because I was dropping the gas tank for another skid.

That's the route I'm taking too, in just a few days.