Fuel Tank, Skid Plate, & Fuel Pump

Dave Kerr

'04 LJ
Supporting Member
I took a bone yard radiator guard brace to the powder coater today to get it ready to swap out. Mine is nasty.
I have an 04 LJ. I have it on my list to remove the fuel tank, treat and paint the frame rails and crossmembers around it, powder coat the skid plate, and finish off that area of the Jeep. What I'm thinking is to buy a bone yard skid plate (mine is nasty), get it powder coated, and swap it out to save time.
Are there different size fuel tanks and skid plates I should consider? Do I replace the fuel pump/sending unit/ fuel lines while I'm in there? Is the OE stuff OK?

Are there different size fuel tanks and skid plates I should consider? Do I replace the fuel pump/sending unit/ fuel lines while I'm in there? Is the OE stuff OK?

IIRC, they're all the same size, but later ones are thicker (so better).
Not sure what year they changed.

IF you can find a new OEM fuel tank skid plate, the '03-'06 is the one you want. I wouldn't try to get one from a junkyard. For the cost you will have in an OEM one, you may consider an aftermarket skid plate. Even the '03+ skids are as thick and sturdy as the aftermarket options.

I replaced my fill neck and both tubes with Spectra products from Rock Auto.

I also drilled out the mount holes on the fuel neck and replaced them with stainless nutserts. Makes pulling the tank that much easier.

-Mac

I wouldn't try to get one from a junkyard.
Why not? Spending $30 vs $250 on something that's going to get banged up anyways doesn't make any sense to me.

For the cost you will have in an OEM one, you may consider an aftermarket skid plate.
Not a problem if you spend the 30 bucks to get a clean junkyard one. Plenty of untouched skids out there.

Even the '03+ skids are as thick and sturdy as the aftermarket options.

Not even close. The late TJ skid is 0.085" thick. Most aftermarket skids are 3/16" steel (0.1875).

Reactions: Weasellee
Thanks for all the info. So skid plate and filler tube assembly. Don't f with the fuel pump.
Noone mentioned straps. Are they an automatic to replace?
Will fuel lines need attention?

Thanks for all the info. So skid plate and filler tube assembly. Don't f with the fuel pump.
Noone mentioned straps. Are they an automatic to replace?
Will fuel lines need attention?

To be clear, the problem isn’t the filler tube assembly. It is the fill neck check valve located in the tank

Why not? Spending $30 vs $250 on something that's going to get banged up anyways doesn't make any sense to me.
Because by the time you buy one from a junkyard, clean it, paint or powder coat it, you'd be better off buying aftermarket. And where the OP is from, finding a good one in a junkyard would probably be like trying to find a needle in a hay pile.

Not even close. The late TJ skid is 0.085" thick. Most aftermarket skids are 3/16" steel (0.1875).
My post was supposed to say that the aftermarket is thicker than the OEM. I missed a "not" in there (not as thick and sturdy).

Reactions: Weasellee
Get new straps also. I’ve not had an issue with the lines but i have replaced the little C type clips that the fuel line connectors use. “Help” rack at most auto part stores have variety packs that work. If rust prone area plan to replace all the skid plate mounting hardware too, I actually keep this stuff in stock. 🇺🇸

B