Fuel tank woes

oaklandopen

So ive been wanting to fix the pump shut off valve thingy for a while and decided to tackle it today. So I took the tank down after work, everything was going ok, slow and steady.

When I attempted to disconnect the fuel line from the pump of course the nipple snapped...fml. so I got a new pump module from Amazon

But the problem was when I was going to clean up the check valve I realized it doesn't just come out. That is unless maybe I cut around and rip it out, then reseal it. I don't really want to do this but if someone tells me that's the only way I might consider it. Otherwise I just reached my arm in and tried to scrape around the float with my fingernails to get any buildup off. I don't really want to buy one of those either

What a pain

Well if he just snapped it out I was wayyyy too nervous to attempt that. I saw that vid a while ago but forgot how he took it out

It just came out way too easy in that vid. I know it snaps on, maybe I can wiggle it
Manipulate your thumb and index finger under two of the tabs and tilt the valve assembly slightly to one side.

I was at a junk yard back in November and there was a Wrangler there. It was was an older one, but I can’t remember the year. I was going to remove that piece and get it, but I wouldn’t come out either. I stuck my phone up in there and it appears to be different that what the ones I’ve seen that just pop out.

EDIT: It was. 2002

FC296C0C-9DF7-4F82-8709-1354A6E8C375.jpeg

97754057-F56D-4C92-800F-CACD274D74B8.jpeg

5332C63D-DC1F-4D62-9CCB-D7AF10FEF5FA.jpeg

56AF10E9-C55B-4EAE-BA83-79599A48D952.jpeg

I'm not sure I even want to watch a video where he calls it a "2006 Jeep Cherokee" in the first 5 seconds...:rolleyes:

I got past that part because I didn't have my speakers on until a few seconds later. Even after that I had trouble with the video. The guy reached in and pulled out a check valve that must have just been sitting in the tank then tells us how he already did the repair on it.

Reactions: Squatch
I got past that part because I didn't have my speakers on until a few seconds later. Even after that I had trouble with the video. The guy reached in and pulled out a check valve that must have just been sitting in the tank then tells us how he already did the repair on it.

Exactly. Had it looking like a cooking infomercial when they stick something in an oven and simultaneously pull out the same dish that's finished already

Reactions: MaloStapalo
It just came out way too easy in that vid. I know it snaps on, maybe I can wiggle it

It just came out way too easy in that vid because it comes out easy. Grab it with your whole hand and rotate the bottom until it pops off. It takes literally a few seconds.

Even after that I had trouble with the video. The guy reached in and pulled out a check valve that must have just been sitting in the tank then tells us how he already did the repair on it.

LOL, a few seconds of video with his arm in the tank wouldn't help you. The guy did a service to the TJ community.

Last edited:
So I ended up doing one side then the other to get it out. Made me nervous as all fack

So I played with the part a little bit and noticed although it was really clean the tolerances between the housing and spring loaded check were not allowing smooth action, thus making it get stuck easily. There were 3 sort of guides moulded in and all I did was take my leatherman file to it, then the diamond grit side. The operation is now smooth

20190508_173355.jpg

Now all that's left is to put the new pump in. Im gonna have to dump the rest of the fuel cuz plenty of dirt got in when I removed the retainer ring and old pump

I did mine last summer and it cured my problems. Mine was stuck shut so it wouldn't take fuel. Haven't had a problem since. I too was scared taking off. I used a small screwdriver and pried the tabs loose before I removed it.

If you can get past your snobbery for a few seconds, it is one of the smarter things out there to learn about. :rolleyes:

Lol I got about 5 seconds total of info from that video. All relating to the check valve only..... not dropping the tank or unhooking the fuel lines or anything like that

Update: for some reason everything went back together faster and easier than it came apart. New fuel pump, shaved pressure check valve, etc. I think I left myself with as much gas as I had rum tonight but I made it to the nearest station and put in 19.43 gallons

Everything all honkey dorey

Lol I got about 5 seconds total of info from that video. All relating to the check valve only..... not dropping the tank or unhooking the fuel lines or anything like that

Update: for some reason everything went back together faster and easier than it came apart. New fuel pump, shaved pressure check valve, etc. I think I left myself with as much gas as I had rum tonight but I made it to the nearest station and put in 19.43 gallons

Everything all honkey dorey
Well then, you got 5 priceless seconds of info given all the ignorance and confusion that exists over how to fix this issue. That 5 seconds is also fairly new knowledge that wasn't around a few years ago. Those of us with a high level of appreciation for getting to the root cause of a problem and a simple fix, find it to be most excellent.

You also have to take into account that some of us have been dropping TJ tanks and swapping fuel pumps etc. for about 20 years so something new that we didn't know or haven't seen, well, that's pretty special. Dropping a tank, yeah, not so much.

Reactions: MountaineerTom
Well then, you got 5 priceless seconds of info given all the ignorance and confusion that exists over how to fix this issue. That 5 seconds is also fairly new knowledge that wasn't around a few years ago. Those of us with a high level of appreciation for getting to the root cause of a problem and a simple fix, find it to be most excellent.

You also have to take into account that some of us have been dropping TJ tanks and swapping fuel pumps etc. for about 20 years so something new that we didn't know or haven't seen, well, that's pretty special. Dropping a tank, yeah, not so much.
Screenshot_20190509-221530_Google.jpg