Full doors stuck locked

Scoutmapper

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
I keep experiencing one of my doors get stuck in the locked position. I can't get it unlocked without taking the interior panel off and pulling on the rod to free it up.
Any idea what the root of the problem is?

Is the rod bent, when you had the panel off did you try and lubricate all the door mechanism? Just throwing thoughts out there. Possible small plastic bushings gone bad??

The last time I was in there about 3 months ago I lubed things pretty well with white lithium but it happened again. I don't think anything is bent.
From the inside when I work the lock rocker switch to the unlocked position it pushes back and refuses to unlock. Same with the key from the outside

When you had it apart, did you try locking and unlocking it and look to see if everything was moving with ease? Again just throwing spaghetti against the wall to see what we can figure out. Did you clean the door latch assembly last time? If not it may be gummed up?

The mechanism works fine. I worked it quite a bit while the door was open. Wondering if there is a bind with the door shut or something. I'll clean it up just in case there is some junk gumming things up.

The last time I was in there about 3 months ago I lubed things pretty well with white lithium but it happened again. I don't think anything is bent.
From the inside when I work the lock rocker switch to the unlocked position it pushes back and refuses to unlock. Same with the key from the outside
You have to work the lock and latch and watch for the rods bending or flexing to see what is moving that shouldn't be. When you get the flex taken out so the straight push works the release properly, they pop the lock with ease.

Reactions: John Cooper
I'll check it out again in a bit. I believe the force is being lost in the correct direction... Something is off... Like the rod is having a lean or hitting resistance somewhere.

Does the door latch mechanism release freely from the striker?
If the striker is out of adjustment; the latching mechanism can hang up and be difficult to unlatch.
This may effect how easy your lock is to operate.

Does the door latch mechanism release freely from the striker?
If the striker is out of adjustment; the latching mechanism can hang up and be difficult to unlatch.
This may effect how easy your lock is to operate.
That is probably a great place to start looking. It kind of pops open with a bit of force. Come to think of it this only happens when the hard top is on. Hummm

I pulled the panel off and got it open. I will need to dig a bit further on this as adjusting the door didn't help. I could work the lock easily but the inside rocker button is not putting the force in the right direction. Probably a worn out plastic clip or something. I just ordered a new clip from Quadratec and will look it over to see what I can figure out when it arrives.

I can't remember if the inside rocker button is pulling or pushing to unlock but I bet it's supposed to be pushing which is most likely to bend or bow it more instead of doing it's job. Even if it's supposed to be pulling, if it's already bent or bowed it's just trying to get back to it's less bent or bowed state instead of doing it's job.

Why does this bend bow have an affect on this? Because the rocker button is a mile away from the lock.

OK maybe a mile is an exaggeration but it's still on the far side.