Passenger Door is Stuck Locked

Linc2014

Hello Folks. I just purchased a 1997 Jeep Wrangler two door, it has a hard top and full metal doors. Here is my problem, the passenger door will not unlock. I can't open it from the inside or the outside, key is no help. No matter what I do I cannot get it unlocked. I took off the inside door handle to get to the linkage and try to release the lock by pulling on the linkage and still no luck.

If I can get the door panel off, I'm sure I could get it unlocked, but not being able to open the door I don't know if I can get the panel off. I'm stuck! Anybody have any thoughts on how I might be able to solve this? I also thought about trying to remove the door in order to work on, but I don't think I can with it being locked? My wife is not excited about climbing through the driver side to get to the passenger seat

We are excited to have the Jeep, we will be using it as a tow vehicle behind our RV and doing some offroading. We have so many great places to explore in and around San Diego.

Thanks for any insight that can be provided.

Mike

I was at your point a while back so I ordered a used latch loop {part that bolts to the body) climbed into the back seat and used a sawzall to cut the old loop. There was sufficient room to get the blade in between the body and door. When it was open I was able to remove the panel and repair the mechanism.

Reactions: InOmaha
The door panel on the inside is pretty easy to remove. If my memory serves me correctly, there are four screws total along the bottom of the panel and then a few retainer clips that hold it on. I think you can get to the screws along the bottom of the door by shifting the seat back and forth or tilting it forward.

Once it's off, peel the plastic seal off carefully and there's an access hole at the handle mechanism.

If you can access the screws to the door panel from inside, It might help greatly to remove the passengers seat and move it to the back of the Jeep in the meantime. If access to the screws are still not possible, then I guess removing the seat prior wouldn't help.

Off the top of my head I wonder if you can remove the door hinge pins and take the whole door off. Then take the panel off and grease everything up.

The door panel on the inside is pretty easy to remove. If my memory serves me correctly, there are four screws total along the bottom of the panel and then a few retainer clips that hold it on. I think you can get to the screws along the bottom of the door by shifting the seat back and forth or tilting it forward.

Once it's off, peel the plastic seal off carefully and there's an access hole at the handle mechanism.

There's one screw that the seat blocks access to.
I was able to get at it with a torx bit held in a pair of vice grips.
It just fit between the door and seat.

OP, you'll also have to remove the door handle loop and the window crank. This job sucks lol.

That was me for about 3 years. If someone locked my passenger door and pulled the handle it was a PITA to get unlocked.

Is your handle also loose? As in not held tight to the door. Like it's in a partially pulled state.

2 things to try

#1 roll down the window. Try unlocking with both the key and the inside unlock at the same time. Hip slam your door for good measure while doing so.

#2 I haven't had my door apart in a while. There's a spot internally you literally need to bump if the door handle is loose. The spring is worn/broken and the friction internally is high preventing the opening mechanism from returning. If I remember correctly, open palm slap down and right from the outside handle.

Then open up the door and clean and penetrating oil everything internally.

Just wanted to say thanks for all the suggestions. I had someone suggest hitting the door near the lock with your hand while trying to unlock with the key. Would you believe that it worked? Door is open! Now I can get the panel off and see what’s going on. Thanks again for your help.

Happy to be a Jeep owner and I hope to be able to contribute to this site in the future.

Mike

Just replying here to say that banging on the door below the lock while unlocking did the trick for me (2001 TJ full doors). Next, I suspect the issue is the latch itself as both handles are new and I verified all rods are secure and moving freely.