Full moon strange happenings—check gauges light and charge rate displaying low

Fixer6

TJ Enthusiast
After a fun filled weekend of Thanksgiving grocery stuffing, and family members plus friends, (don’t worry, there was never more than six, and we are all cootie free, as far as we know anyway) as always here’s Monday! Go out to start the Jeep and she had an unusual stumble, followed by a “check gauges” light illuminating. Upon checking the gauges I noticed the charging rate was displaying low.

Promptly got out and raised the hood to find no accessories are turning on the running motor. Turned it off and continued the inspection only to find the serpentine belt was off. Having experienced that phenomenon before I began to look for patches of fur, and possible squishy internal parts that would belong to a critter of some sort. After not finding either, and scratching my head twice, I opened the hood all the way to the windshield header, and climbed on the bumper in order to pull the belt completely out to inspect it. That’s when I noticed the harmonic balancer was no longer in line with where the belt runs. The outer ring was about an eighth of an inch away from the fan blades, but still barely attached to the center.

So, having purchased one from the local auto parts store, the question are, is it going to be ok, or do I need to order the gold plated one from Mopar? Any advice on tacking this before I go figure it out? Do I need to remove my spare, turn my rear view mirror upside down, and unplug the number 4 fuse, and then me go topless in 30 degree weather to get this right?
Please school me on the best method on doing this, in the driveway. Thanks in advance!

66D00650-CBB5-49B0-8DAE-111B446F332A.jpeg

• Haha
Reactions: TheBoogieman
You don't have to get the MOPAR one, have had an aftermarket one on my 92 for 100K mi now.

You'll need a puller. Local parts store should have it as a free loaner tool. I bought a longer bolt like the crank bolt and some washers to make an install tool. The FSM says to hammer the new one on to get it started...no thanks.

You'll most likely have to pull the radiator to get the puller on it.

Reactions: Fixer6
A puller/installer tool I rented at AutoZone got it done. I bought aftermarket.

I didn’t have to pull the radiator, but that isn’t bad advice. I had to trim 1/4” off the wrench end of the install bolt I believe to make it fit, and there was a lot of cussing because it was so tight and moving the fan shroud and fan per wrench crank.

Reactions: Fixer6
Currently waiting on it to warm up a little more before slathering myself with butter so I can do this. Also eating a few cookies prior should help my motivation level.

• Haha
Reactions: JKP
As some things seem to be, it’s just more time consuming than difficult. I did not need to pull the radiator thought. The rubber hose transmission lines allowed me to raise it up just enough to be out of the way of the puller. Not enough room for a impact, but just enough for an air ratchet. I had some old spinning wire and used it to hold the radiator up while I worked underneath. Made sure the seal, and the timing cover was hospital clean before reassembling. A small block of wood and small shop mallet allowed me to gently tap the new one on just enough to stick the bolt and washer back on and tighten it into place. Torqued to 80 ft lbs, and put the serpentine belt back on. Reinstalled the radiator, fan shroud, and the fan clutch, then fired it up. All ok now, so I’m kicking back with a little Crown Reserve while the wife’s dancing in the kitchen making supper. Thank for all the advice prior. Sorry, I didn’t take any pictures during the surgery, but here’s one of the offending part.

2998FB57-AB4B-44FB-9B02-862E2642C894.jpeg

Reactions: cpwolf