Fun new video of rock crawling in Johnson Valley

Jerry Bransford

Too many arguments and personal attacks, I'm done.
Supporting Member
This is a bunch of local friends I enjoy wheeling with doing a trail called Clawhammer in Johnson Valley California. While Clawhammer isn't in the top half of the most difficult trails in JV, it's definitely still a very challenging trail for even very well set up rigs. It has been a couple years ago since doing it and this video got me wanting to do again soon, hopefully in November when another JV run is scheduled.

P.S. Some will remember Marianne in her cowgirl hat in this video, she's the one I posted a few pics of here when she broke a Dana 35 axle shaft. The Dana 35 is gone and she's on 37's now with some new beefy f/r axles.

Anyway this very well done video from a couple weeks ago shows what rock crawling can be like here in the deserts of SoCal. Enjoy! :)

Last edited:
Very cool. Fun to watch! Ive come to really like the sound of metal scraping on rocks:)

Videos and pictures can never do enough justice on trails like that. Doesnt look super difficult, but in person I bet that is one tough route.

Reactions: Jerry Bransford
Specs could have been a little more detailed I thought.

Transmission: Stick shift

Ok...

Specs could have been a little more detailed I thought.

Transmission: Stick shift

Ok...
That's the first video I've seen like that that gave any information on the vehicle and person driving it including a cool nickname given everyone, we all thought it was cool it was there. Now you're complaining there wasn't enough info on the transmission? For its purpose, knowing whether it was a stick or automatic was plenty. It doesn't even matter for that purpose. You're certainly not going to be in 5th or 6th gear on that trail.

I wouldn't call it complaint, it was an awesome video. I just found it funny it was that vague on transmissions.

Sweet video. My favorite part is where those two rigs are both going at the ledge near the end of the trail. Neat to see rigs on 3.5-4" and 35's or 37's hi-lined or hi-line fenders are able to do. Always a little carnage, but they come out well. Nice wheelin'

Other thing that was neat to see is the variety of the rigs, pretty much one from every era going back to the CJ. I'll have to check out the guys other videos now.

Klingers LJ is legit! Fun video, reminding me why I am not a rock crawler hehe.
Jeff Klinger definitely has a good performing rig, he has done some seriously tough trails with it. He actually lowered it a couple inches maybe two months ago, before the video was taken.

Reactions: ac_
Oh, and another fun part of the video (just for the wrangler tj forum) was watching the 4-door "you know what" trying to make that ledge. With all due respect though, it had to be difficult in a 5,000lb LWB slug. Fortunately they winched him through.

Not my type of off roading but it was fun to watch others do it. Great video. What i found interesting was the one to make in impossible route had a long arm. I would have thought it would hang up.