Fuse b+ on a winch?

TonyArms

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
Hi, First time installing a winch on my TJ. safe to install the B+ right to the winch without any type of disconnect or circuit breaker ?
I understand the same question could be used for the starter but at least the starter in under the hood.
Thanks
Tony

Either way, winches have been run straight to the battery for years. Extra precaution with a disconnect; accident, folks messing with your winch, etc. Make sure it will carry enough (400) amps.

Last edited:
Reactions: Zorba
@tnjeepguy
Your 100% correct and I was in the middle of typing out almost the exact same answer but you beat me to it!

@TonyArms I've got my power cables running straight to my winch and have no issues whatsoever. I think the only "extra" thing i did with my winch was buy a cheap cover for it off Amazon just to keep the sun and dirt off of it.

The problem is it takes a big expensive fuse.

Best thing to do is just minimize the risk of it shorting to something. For example moving the contactor to under the hood near the battery means the wire running through the engine bay and out to the winch is only hot when the winch is running. I've been meaning to do this for about 2 years and still haven't.

Reactions: Rickyd
Apricate the feed back thank you
I'll run it straight initially to get the kinks out of it and then think about a disconnect.
I mean a ball of fire wouldn't be the worse way for this old girl to go out.
Tony

It's really a personal choice depending on your level of risk acceptance. They've been direct-wired for years, and you'll hear very few problems people have had. You'll also hear from people who say you're crazy to not put something inline to prevent a short because if that large-diameter cable shorts to ground, it'll start a fire and burn your TJ to the ground. If you do decide not to direct-wire them, there are two ways to do it (plus a third - using both). For short-circuit protection, use a large fuse (ANL fuses and holders are arguably best, but Mega/AMG work, too - search the forum for those acronyms for more info). Instead of adding short-circuit protection, you can add a manual disconnect (just make sure it's rated for the high current) or a solenoid so that those wires are not energized until you energize the solenoid by flipping an "Arm the Winch" switch. That way, you can limit when you have power in the cables to when you're using the winch. The third option is to do both - use a fuse and a solenoid.

Last edited:
Reactions: thedustyboot
It's really a personal choice depending on your level of risk acceptance. They've been direct-wired for years, and you'll hear very few problems people have had. You'll also hear from people who say you're crazy to not put something inline to prevent a short because if that large-diameter cable shorts to ground, it'll start a fire and burn your TJ to the ground. If you do decide not to direct-wire them, there are two ways to do it (plus a third - using both). For short-circuit protection, use a large fuse (ANL fuses and holders are arguably best, but Mega/AMG work, too - search the forum for those acronyms for more info). Instead of adding short-circuit protection, you can add a manual disconnect (just make sure it's rated for the high current) or a solenoid so that those wires are not energized until you energize the solenoid by flipping a "Arm the Winch" switch. That way, you can limit when you have power in the cables to when you're using the winch. The third option is to do both - use a fuse and a solenoid.

We use an alternate method sorta. We do very careful routing, extra chafe protection any place it gets remotely near any edge, then several restraints to keep it where we route it and then the last thing is to cover the + cable with the non split convoluted loom. We also cut the wire to length after routing, crimp on new ends with some adhesive lined heat shrink so there is no extra cable to wad up and figure out what to do with.

Emphasis on alternate, not superior.

Hi, First time installing a winch on my TJ. safe to install the B+ right to the winch without any type of disconnect or circuit breaker ?
I understand the same question could be used for the starter but at least the starter in under the hood.
Thanks
Tony

Which winch are you running? Relocating the control box under the hood is easier on some models. I run a Warn Zeon and have done so.

Reactions: freedom_in_4low
People argue like crazy over this. I come down firmly on the "fuse it" side. In fact, I have both a fuse AND a solenoid close to the battery - a lifetime of electronics just won't let me run that hot wire out to the front without protection. Routed correctly, the chances of chafing are minimal (but not zero), but the main thing is if you get into a front end collision. Arcing and spilled gasoline aren't a good combination.

Lots of discussion, the most recent was a thread drift here: https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/what-did-you-do-to-your-tj-today.1784/page-2490#post-1452209 - you'll have to scroll for a bit to get the entire conversation as it was somewhat off topic for that thread so other comments are interspersed.

Reactions: Rut Row
People argue like crazy over this. I come down firmly on the "fuse it" side. In fact, I have both a fuse AND a solenoid close to the battery - a lifetime of electronics just won't let me run that hot wire out to the front without protection. Routed correctly, the chances of chafing are minimal (but not zero), but the main thing is if you get into a front end collision. Arcing and spilled gasoline aren't a good combination.

Lots of discussion, the most recent was a thread drift here: https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/what-did-you-do-to-your-tj-today.1784/page-2490#post-1452209 - you'll have to scroll for a bit to get the entire conversation as it was somewhat off topic for that thread so other comments are interspersed.

There isn't an argument, there is a difference in theory and practical application. You have a lifetime of electronics, I have almost a lifetime of doing shit that works in spite of the theory.

There isn't an argument, there is a difference in theory and practical application. You have a lifetime of electronics, I have almost a lifetime of doing shit that works in spite of the theory.

Nothing wrong with empirical results - but let me ask you this: Have you been in an accident with spilled gasoline? I saw one once, it was NOT pretty, so it scares the shit outta me!

Nothing wrong with empirical results - but let me ask you this: Have you been in an accident with spilled gasoline? I saw one once, it was NOT pretty, so it scares the shit outta me!

I have seen folks with their faces blown off with a pistol and survive. I still own guns. They are not locked up, nor do they have trigger locks. They stay loaded and ready to use. I don't have to release them from a cage with a fingerprint reader either. However, I have been in several accidents and none of them spilled fuel. I also have never seen any of the folks I'm around with a TJ on the street or on the trail have a fuel related fire.

We all have personal belief systems based on our experiences. There is more than a little bit of wisdom involved in not forcing those beliefs on others.

We all have personal belief systems based on our experiences. There is more than a little bit of wisdom involved in not forcing those beliefs on others.
AMEN Brother! I'm not forcing - just pointing out the possibilities, however remote. I wouldn't wanna legislate it for sure! I also think its perfectly OK to ride in the back of a pickup truck!

Reactions: ColoJeep
AMEN Brother! I'm not forcing - just pointing out the possibilities, however remote. I wouldn't wanna legislate it for sure! I also think its perfectly OK to ride in the back of a pickup truck!

Yes, but is it okay to ride in the back of a pick-up leaning over the cab with a rifle at night, shitty headlights blazing away while bombing across the NM prairie chasing jackrabbits and trying to shoot them using iron sights? My dad used to get together with his drinking buddies, get liquored up, and away we'd go. Not sure if it was okay, but we had a blast doing it. I'm surprised we all didn't die looking back on it.

We use an alternate method sorta. We do very careful routing, extra chafe protection any place it gets remotely near any edge, then several restraints to keep it where we route it and then the last thing is to cover the + cable with the non split convoluted loom. We also cut the wire to length after routing, crimp on new ends with some adhesive lined heat shrink so there is no extra cable to wad up and figure out what to do with.

Emphasis on alternate, not superior.

I was thinking the same thing routing in a safe place, cut to right length, secure the cable along the inner fender wall.
I'm also a fan of using a piece of heater hose if there is any chance the cable might rub.

Reactions: JMT and Plumber1
Yes, but is it okay to ride in the back of a pick-up leaning over the cab with a rifle at night, shitty headlights blazing away while bombing across the NM prairie chasing jackrabbits and trying to shoot them using iron sights? My dad used to get together with his drinking buddies, get liquored up, and away we'd go. Not sure if it was okay, but we had a blast doing it. I'm surprised we all didn't die looking back on it.

A certain GMC pickup didn't have a tailgate. We went to the dump, about 6 miles away over mostly high speed roads. I was the tailgate, sitting crossways at the very end of the 9 foot bed, holding onto the bed rail with my left hand.

• Haha
Reactions: P man
PO put circuit breakers on my setup and I keep it disconnected from the battery until needed. Mr Blaine would cringe if he saw how PO routed the cables through the sheet metal. Reroute is on the long list of things to do in the future.

IMG_2084.jpeg

IMG_2085.jpeg