FYI: Ordered a Stant thermostat from Amazon; received a Motorad

UPDATE: FlowKooler mailed out a MotoRad thermostat when a Robert Shaw was ordered.

I ordered a Robert Shaw thermostat from the FlowKooler website and today the thermostat arrived in the mail in a plain brown box with a white sticker that had 340-195 printed on it.
To my disappointment I received a MotoRad thermostat much the same as other members have received when ordering a Stant thermostat.
I wrote an email the FlowKooler requesting a Robert Shaw thermostat be sent OR provide a full refund.

• Angry
  • Sad
Reactions: Duner and MikeE024
UPDATE: FlowKooler mailed out a MotoRad thermostat when a Robert Shaw was ordered.

I ordered a Robert Shaw thermostat from the FlowKooler website and today the thermostat arrived in the mail in a plain brown box with a white sticker that had 340-195 printed on it.
To my disappointment I received a MotoRad thermostat much the same as other members have received when ordering a Stant thermostat.
I wrote an email the FlowKooler requesting a Robert Shaw thermostat be sent OR provide a full refund.

Man these suppliers are frustrating. I’m not sure if it’s playing on our intelligence or what. I ordered a mopar one through a dealership so I hope it’s the right one that comes in. This is getting ridiculous

@CharlesHS

I'm in the hunting for a t-stat club, the "mopar" t-stat I ordered was a motorad.

Any update from Robert Shaw?

I was told by FlowKooler that the MotoRad are the only thermostats they have available.
Apparently, unless you find somebody that has some new old stock; we are going to be stuck with MotoRad until somebody finds a better alternative.

Last edited:
I ordered a Robert Shaw in April and got the real deal. See pics below for info. Also just called them and he assured me if you order a Robert Shaw from him you will receive a Robert Shaw. He said when he puts in an order for them they make a batch just for his order.
Robt Shaw.jpg

rs2.jpg

Reactions: Duner

The 340 series is not a Robert Shaw and it states that right in the description. I wonder if they switched your order by mistake, or if you ordered it by mistake? The 340 also costs half what the genuine Robert Shaw ones cost.
Even if they were out of Robert Shaws they should not have sent the cheaper Motorad, without notifying you.

Last edited:
The 340 series is not a Robert Shaw and it states that right in the description. I wonder if they switched your order by mistake, or if you ordered it by mistake? The 340 also costs half what the genuine Robert Shaw ones cost.

Since you ordered and received a Robert Shaw 330-195 thermostat in April 2023; I ordered another Robert Shaw 330-195.
There is the distinct possibility that the wrong part was shipped, but that is not what they stated when I called.
Lets hope that there was a mistake made the previous time and they resolved the shipping problems.

i also recently (like, last week) ordered a Robert Shaw from FlowKooler and received the correct part.

Here it is next to the Motorrad that I got from Mopar.

PXL_20230715_010455919.jpg

PXL_20230715_010511949.jpg

I put them both on the stove in a saucepan full of water and found that they both open on the dot at 195, are stroked open 6mm at 210, and close off on the way back down at about 187. Robert shaw doesn't have a jiggle pin, but the one in the Mopar/Motorrad doesn't work in a horizontal application anyway. If you like to drill a hole to expedite air bleeding on refill, I'm not sure where you'd put it on the Shaw.

The Shaw looks completely different than any other thermostat I've ever seen which makes me curious about why. The larger plunger diameter of the Shaw adds about 50% to the flow cross section, and if it does flow significantly more, all it would do is shrink the difference between the water entering the block and leaving the head...but if AMC or Jeep/Truck engineering thought whatever difference they designed for was fine, then what is there to gain by changing it? Another thought is that the flow may end up as a wash since the plunger is all the way out so close to the hole in the cylinder head that it lives in. The best I can come up with is that being up against the perimeter could possibly result in a more linear flow vs stroke relationship which could smooth out the slight oscillation when the thermostat initially opens. What I can't figure out is why that would be a problem that needs to be solved. Maybe it's as simple as Shaw developed or re-applied an automotive thermostat, without looking at another automotive thermostat, so it just came out looking different.

The exercise gives some perspective on why we see so many blatant copies of American-design products come from China, or companies offering useless components like a drop pitman arm in a coil spring lift kit that doesn't change the track bar. Figuring out why someone else made a particular design decision can be almost as tedious as just engineering your own from scratch. It's much less work to just copy it without questioning anything.

At any rate, I'm not advocating for either one. They're close to the same price, Shaw probably has a better reputation (judging by the gnashing of teeth we have about our favorite thermostats being replaced by Motorrad) so I'm going to install the Shaw and toss the Mopar into the parts bin.

Rockauto has a Mopar thermostat listed and in stock. (52028186AC) However, it is $35.00. That would be expensive if it really is only a Motorad.

Rockauto has a Mopar thermostat listed and in stock. (52028186AC) However, it is $35.00. That would be expensive if it really is only a Motorad.

I've bought them directly from dealerships in 2018 and in 2023 and they were both MotorRad, so it's almost certain the Amazon will be.

Reactions: Duner and CharlesHS
I emailed FlowKooler yesterday and asked about whether they send the Shaw or motorads and they specifically said that if you order a Shaw, you'll get a Shaw. They a have a separate listing for the motorad version apparently.

Unless you call to confirm what they are shipping; you can almost guarantee the thermostat received WILL be a MotoRad.

You can't call Rockauto. It's an automated website. There is no "operators" to take your call. When I had an issue regarding a part not arriving, it was taken care of all through the website and then a couple of emails.

You can't call Rockauto. It's an automated website. There is no "operators" to take your call. When I had an issue regarding a part not arriving, it was taken care of all through the website and then a couple of emails.

Then email them to confirm what you will be receiving.
That will save you the hassles of returning what you didn’t order.

Yea, Motorad is crap and the Mopar version isn’t any better … Stant was great when available.

I can get American made Robert Shaw thermostats … the real ones work well, and fixing a million other things on the Jeep, then I’ll go back and swap the craptastic “Moparad”.

I have a small stock pile of these real Robert shaws as most of my hobby cars use the same thermostat 😎.

Reactions: Duner
As a point of reference, I purchased a t-stat advertised as MOPAR 52028186AC from Amazon a month ago. I received this in an Amazon box loose with no packaging:
View attachment 407963

Not much to add, except "Me Too". I took a chance on an Amazon "Genuine Chrysler 52028186AC Thermostat" for about $40.

It came loose in a padded envelope - not a "Chrysler" or "Mopar" to be seen. When I pay a premium for a part, I'd like to actually see in a Mopar bag!

It was marked "Motorad".

I returned it for a refund.

I'll drill an 1/8" hole in a cheap thermostat and save $35....

Reactions: FarFire70 and Duner
Ordered a MOPAR stat from RockAuto. Received a thermostat in a clear bag with the part number 52028186AC. Of course... It is stamped MotoRad. After spending $36 on this it sucks that it doesn't even have a MOPAR sticker.

Seems that this is going to be the norm when ordering OEM. Looking at the other MotoRad thermostats it looks like the only difference is the "OEM" has the hole with the pin in it.

Sharing in case someone is still curious. I'm rehauling my cooling system and wish OEM wasn't so hard to come by now.

I'm going to go ahead and install it for science. Let's see how it holds up.

1000007483.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Duner and Zorba
Ordered a MOPAR stat from RockAuto. Received a thermostat in a clear bag with the part number 52028186AC. Of course... It is stamped MotoRad. After spending $36 on this it sucks that it doesn't even have a MOPAR sticker.

Seems that this is going to be the norm when ordering OEM. Looking at the other MotoRad thermostats it looks like the only difference is the "OEM" has the hole with the pin in it.

Sharing in case someone is still curious. I'm rehauling my cooling system and wish OEM wasn't so hard to come by now.

I'm going to go ahead and install it for science. Let's see how it holds up.

View attachment 499396

And they were even nice enough to charge you $10 more than a Robert Shaw

Reactions: MoiTai