G2 Core 44 Axle Assembly, Dana 35 upgrade, Dana 44

FarminAg

Lifetime Supporting Member
Has anyone upgraded to a full G2 Core 44 assembly? After considering Super35 upgrade and, used Dana 44s with 140k miles on them, I've about decided to spend a little more money for a new beefed up assembly I should never have to worry about tearing up. Plus I can do this install myself. I can't replace axle shafts and install a locker in my shop or re-gear. The core 44 should bolt right in and come pregeared and locker installed if I understand correctly and only labor Ill be out is re-gearing front axle. Any one have experience with this or advice? Core 44 is 3600 on Morris 4x4. Seems high but so is every other option I've looked at. East coast gear supply Ford 8.8 can go over 4k after you add new parts. I don't want used shit under my jeep with 100k more miles than on my jeep. Its not all about saving money, Ill pay for quality. Plus I live in BFE and if I can do labor in my shop and never have to haul my jeep 100miles to mechanic shop it'll save me time and 100s.

I'd still strongly consider the Super 35, so long as it comes with 30 spline 1541H axle shafts as Revolution Gear's Super 35 kit does.

It's a simple elegant solution that is easily installed, works well, and it holds up to anything 99% of the members of this forum would ever wheel. Its shafts are even slightly stronger than the carbon steel 30 spline axle shaft that comes in a Dana 44.

I'd still strongly consider the Super 35, so long as it comes with 30 spline 1541H axle shafts.

It's a simple elegant solution that is easily installed, works well, and it holds up to anything 99% of the members of this forum would ever wheel. Its shafts are even slightly stronger than the carbon steel 30 spline axle shaft that comes in a Dana 44.
Not to mention added ground clearance and reduced weight, versus the G2 44.

My vote is for the Super35 as well. It seems that the OP is looking for a 100% bolt in option, however?

No experience here with G2. If you were to purchase a crate axle for the rear, what route would you take for the front?

I put a G2 44 in my 97 tj and love it. The over sized track bar does does touch the diff cover slightly and has worn a little bit of the cover in one small spot. Had it for 5 years and never a problem bolts right in.

I put a G2 44 in my 97 tj and love it. The over sized track bar does does touch the diff cover slightly and has worn a little bit of the cover in one small spot. Had it for 5 years and never a problem bolts right in.
I assume you're referring to a front axle, correct?

Yes front. I did slightly push the front axel forward when I put the long arm kit on. That might be why?

My vote is for the Super35 as well. It seems that the OP is looking for a 100% bolt in option, however?

No experience here with G2. If you were to purchase a crate axle for the rear, what route would you take for the front?
So for now nothing. But in the future another Dana 44 with arb locker. I like the option of being able to run bigger tires in the future with the Core 44, Im not sure the exact cost difference in Core44 and S35kit with Arb locker and re-gearing either way I go. But I'm looking at 2K in parts for S35 and 800 per axle to regear plus 200 for ring pinion? that's 3800 and I could have a Core 44 for 3600 and then regear Dana 30 for 1000 more.? so 800 difference? to have Dana 44 in the back instead of S35. The mechanic I use didn't call me back today so Idk on actual cost of regearing an axle but I think its about 800+ parts. kinda seems dumb to not do the front axle upgrade now too lol

Last edited:
Thanks for the feedback! Real world experience is knowledge I'm after.

I just don't have access to 4x4 mechanics where I'm from. It seemed to me it would be simpler if I could drop my Dana 35 and bolt in a fully assembled axle and save the labor on my Dana 35, plus hauling it 100 miles to a mechanic that will set it up for me was worth looking at other options. I may settle on the S35. Just trying to talk to you guys with all the experience.

I'd still strongly consider the Super 35, so long as it comes with 30 spline 1541H axle shafts as Revolution Gear's Super 35 kit does.

(y)(y)

I just don't have access to 4x4 mechanics where I'm from. It seemed to me it would be simpler if I could drop my Dana 35 and bolt in a fully assembled axle and save the labor on my Dana 35, plus hauling it 100 miles to a mechanic that will set it up for me was worth looking at other options. I may settle on the S35. Just trying to talk to you guys with all the experience.
Sounds like you have some decisions to make, both long term and short. My advice is pick which tire you want to run first. The rest of your build decisions will be dictated accordingly. 😉

I’ve got no complaint, in fact I’m very satisfied with the pair of Core 44 assemblies. The front is a high pinion with 3” 5/16” wall tubes with larger forged inner c’s and the larger JK ring gear and the rear is just as beefy, only drawback is the diff covers are a proprietary cover and I haven’t found an alternative but these haven’t been a problem. I was able to do a tie rod flip without additional bracketry, I run Currie Currectlync steering, Currie track bars front and back with no interference. 30 and 35 spline chromoly shafts, 5.38’s, ARB’s. Overall very pleased