G2 Core 44 Axle Assembly, Dana 35 upgrade, Dana 44

“only drawback is the diff covers are a proprietary cover and I haven’t found an alternative”
That’s part of why I like the 489 Dana 44 from ECGS. Has the bigger ring gear and can use any available cover up to and including a stock steel cover if you want. Some of us can’t run a thick/bulky cover…

That’s part of why I like the 489 Dana 44 from ECGS. Has the bigger ring gear and can use any available cover up to and including a stock steel cover if you want. Some of us can’t run a thick/bulky cover…
Some of us have big bones and it doesn’t show. 😉

Reactions: MichaelGH
I’ve got no complaint, in fact I’m very satisfied with the pair of Core 44 assemblies. The front is a high pinion with 3” 5/16” wall tubes with larger forged inner c’s and the larger JK ring gear and the rear is just as beefy, only drawback is the diff covers are a proprietary cover and I haven’t found an alternative but these haven’t been a problem. I was able to do a tie rod flip without additional bracketry, I run Currie Currectlync steering, Currie track bars front and back with no interference. 30 and 35 spline chromoly shafts, 5.38’s, ARB’s. Overall very pleased
Isn't the larger JK ring gear mod only for the low pinion rear?

Honestly, if you can afford a bolt in aftermarket Dana 44 then do your research and buy it. It sounds like that’s what you prefer to do anyways. I am in a similar situation myself…

I'm thinking of doing the same thing with my 97 TJ.

Current running 33s with stock gears and a 4" lift. Perfectly capable of regearing the stock axles...but after adding up all the costs...not counting my labor...44s or even 60s are not much more.

Have you considered 60s?

Ultimately I want to put 35s and maybe eventually a wheelbase stretch and 37s. Planning on 4:88.

35s for now and I want to run the Rubicon with my dad before he gets too much older.

Nate on Dirt Lifestyle on YouTube did a great video with a cost comparison. Highly suggest it.

Now back to getting my stuck tranny out. Damn reverse torx bolt on upper passenger side stripped. Ground off the head but still not coming out. Another round tomorrow and if that doesn't work the bolts go back in and I pull the engine and transmission together so I can drill.

Have fun! Let me know how you break the cost to your significant other...

-Mac

Nope, the Core 44 housing for the front or rear run the larger ring gear and larger pinion shafts.
According to this the front high pinion JK axles still use the same 8.5" diameter ring gear, not sure if the pinion is still the bigger JK one. So I don't see how the G2 could be high pinion and still run the JK 8.9" ring gear, and I didn't see anything mentioning using Dana 50 high pinion stuff

https://www.dynatrac.com/blog/the-difference-between-new-generation-dana-44-axles-and-older-ones/

According to this the front high pinion JK axles still use the same 8.5" diameter ring gear, not sure if the pinion is still the bigger JK one. So I don't see how the G2 could be high pinion and still run the JK 8.9" ring gear, and I didn't see anything mentioning using Dana 50 high pinion stuff

https://www.dynatrac.com/blog/the-difference-between-new-generation-dana-44-axles-and-older-ones/
My currie HP44 w/JK gears

https://www.currieenterprises.com/currie-44-tj-front-axle

Reactions: suicideking
Do you know of anyone that specifically states the size of the front HP JK ring and pinion? I'm pretty sure it's a 8.5" ring gear with just a larger pinion.

At least on ECGS the shipping weight of a front 4.10 gear set to a rear is 16.0lbs and 18.2lbs
Not seeing a specific size but there's this

"Regardless of the version ordered, both use the larger JK Rubicon Dana 44 gears and axles for maximum strength."

https://www.currieenterprises.com/currie-44-built-to-last
Ironrock says the following

*Fits reverse rotation Dana Spicer 44 JK Rubicon
*8.50" ring gear diameter
*24 spline pinion
*10 ring gear bolts
*5.38 ratio

https://www.ironrockoffroad.com/pro...ll-jk-dana-44-front-rubicon-differential.html

Reactions: Apparition
The front is a high pinion with 3” 5/16” wall tubes with larger forged inner c’s and the larger JK ring gear and the rear is just as beefy,
The forged inner C's are a joke when the larger part for the lower balljoint is machined down that far. I can't see the value in putting on a monstrous inner C and then machining down the lower so the knuckle will turn. That and it still runs a TJ ball joint. Nothing against your choices but design work that poor is terrible.

Reactions: DrDmoney
The forged inner C's are a joke when the larger part for the lower balljoint is machined down that far. I can't see the value in putting on a monstrous inner C and then machining down the lower so the knuckle will turn. That and it still runs a TJ ball joint. Nothing against your choices but design work that poor is terrible.
Are you refering to all of these newer axles? I was just starting to look into replacing my front assembly with either a Currie or Carbon Dana 44.

Ironrock says the following

*Fits reverse rotation Dana Spicer 44 JK Rubicon
*8.50" ring gear diameter
*24 spline pinion
*10 ring gear bolts
*5.38 ratio

https://www.ironrockoffroad.com/pro...ll-jk-dana-44-front-rubicon-differential.html
Yeah so it's just a larger pinion, which I don't think is the weak point in that setup. If you can find the maximum input or output torque ratings from Dana, I think it will only be marginally better than a regular Dana 44. Though I think the JK specs are hard to find.

The best upgrade for gears in a Dana 44 is probably the jantz Jana 50 kit, though idk if it would even work in a JK based housing since it sounds like the JK pinion bearings might have a smaller spread. At that point you're back to the regular Dana 44 sized pinion though, so that's probably next to break.

A new Dana 44 Advantek front housing is probably the next strongest thing besides a Dana 60. The load ratings are just below a D50 gear set, but the pinion is massive, with a load bolt added it'd probably be a solid setup, assuming you retube the housing of course

Yeah so it's just a larger pinion, which I don't think is the weak point in that setup. If you can find the maximum input or output torque ratings from Dana, I think it will only be marginally better than a regular Dana 44. Though I think the JK specs are hard to find.

The best upgrade for gears in a Dana 44 is probably the jantz Jana 50 kit, though idk if it would even work in a JK based housing since it sounds like the JK pinion bearings might have a smaller spread. At that point you're back to the regular Dana 44 sized pinion though, so that's probably next to break.

A new Dana 44 Advantek front housing is probably the next strongest thing besides a Dana 60. The load ratings are just below a D50 gear set, but the pinion is massive, with a load bolt added it'd probably be a solid setup, assuming you retube the housing of course
If the Dana 44 with JK isn't enough then you should go Dana 60 anyway.

The best upgrade for gears in a Dana 44 is probably the jantz Jana 50 kit,
If you get to the point where that even begins to make any sense whatsoever, go get a bigger axle because a slightly larger gear set won't fix everything else that is wrong and by the time you do all of that crap to a TJ 44, you can afford a real axle.

Not sure how I would know ALL of them. Carbon can suck a dick as far as I'm concerned.
I thought the Easter Bunny knew everything? Let me rephrase the question in a more simplistic manner.
Do you find the Currie housing with their forged inner C's to be acceptable? I'm going to be replacing my front Rubi axle in the not so distant future. I cannot find a standard TJ housing anywhere. Everyone seems to only make these JK style housings.

And why no love for Carbon?

Do you find the Currie housing with their forged inner C's to be acceptable?
The C's are probably great, what he's saying is the C's aren't the weak link. The balljoints, bearings, and UJs are. As a person who has polished up a JK44 to be useable for 37's, yes he's right once you're all said and done you're most of the way to a 60 where nothing is the weak link.

I did a new UD44 for jk from ECGS. Locker, axles, shafts, balljoints for $3k. Eventually did Reid knuckles ($550), rare parts balljoints ($500), dual piston brakes (I got them used for $150 but usually upward of $1000), then if you want selectable hubs ($1800), add on C gussets and a truss ($500) you can see we are approaching a Fusion Dana 60 price point.