G2 Rear Disk Brake Conversion Dana 44

Crashtown

Found a local steal on a G2 rear disk brake conversion kit. I have read a few install reviews & figure I will need the longer wheel studs & E-brake cables. Not sure if I'll have to remove the axle shafts on my stock Dana 44. I hope my Eagle Alloy 15x10 fry 3.75 b/s wheels will clear. Any input?
Screenshot_20200605-092826_Chrome.jpg

Reactions: TJ4Jim
Unless I am misunderstanding your post; you will need to remove the axle shafts to remove the drum backing plates and install the brake conversion kit.
As for clearance between the calipers and rims; I believe you should be OK.
There are numerous sources for the longer studs; Summit, JEGS, and Rock Auto are to name a few.

Reactions: Crashtown
Are you wanting rear disks more for better braking or for easier maintenance?
I need better braking, especially in reverse. If backing down a hill or driveway, it won't come to a complete stop unless I'm in neutral. I have troubleshot everything. Brakes are adjusted & bled. I have the 3-speed auto with 4.56s & 35s. I think I just have too much torque for the stock drums. Gotta do something & this kit kinda fell.into my lap for $325

Unless I am misunderstanding your post; you will need to remove the axle shafts to remove the drum backing plates and install the brake conversion kit.
As for clearance between the calipers and rims; I believe you should be OK.
There are numerous sources for the longer studs; Summit, JEGS, and Rock Auto are to name a few.
Removal for the install. Someone mentioned that I might as well change my bearings while they are out.

I need better braking, especially in reverse. If backing down a hill or driveway, it won't come to a complete stop unless I'm in neutral. I have troubleshot everything. Brakes are adjusted & bled. I have the 3-speed auto with 4.56s & 35s. I think I just have too much torque for the stock drums. Gotta do something & this kit kinda fell.into my lap for $325
Are you saying your front brakes are locking up? Disc brakes require more force to apply than drums, you may make the situation worse.

Are you saying your front brakes are locking up? Disc brakes require more force to apply than drums, you may make the situation worse.
Nothing is locking up. Brakes work fine forward & on flat ground in reverse. My old house had a downhill driveway about 25'. When I would back down it, there was little stopping power until I reach the level street. If I coasted down in neutral, no problem. If I was in reverse in a parking lot it was OK. Searched for some kind of transmission/ brake switch with no luck. Bigger tires & bigger wheels need bigger brakes anyways.

Nothing about what you're describing will be fixed by converting the rears to disc brakes. They are not proportioned enough to do as much as you're expecting. I honestly don't understand the problem you're talking about, either. You keep saying your brakes work fine, but it sounds like the opposite. Your front brakes probably need some help. Consider not just checking the material left in the pads and rotors, but also the age of the rubber lines and the age of the brake fluid. You'd do better to fully flush your fluid all around and then see if any front components are beyond wear. Replacing front rubber hoses, and even caliper assemblies, is is really easy.

Ya, as you press hard on the brakes the proportioning valve pretty much shuts off the rear brakes. If you are pushing hard on the pedal and the fronts don't lock something isn't right. Bigger brakes is true but really only for the fronts. I'm not trying to rain on the rear disc parade but it would really suck if you spend all the time and money and didn't fix the problem.

Thanks for the feedback. The funny thing is that I posted this over a year ago on some other forums & everybody said convert to disk brakes.

Nothing about what you're describing will be fixed by converting the rears to disc brakes. They are not proportioned enough to do as much as you're expecting. I honestly don't understand the problem you're talking about, either. You keep saying your brakes work fine, but it sounds like the opposite. Your front brakes probably need some help. Consider not just checking the material left in the pads and rotors, but also the age of the rubber lines and the age of the brake fluid. You'd do better to fully flush your fluid all around and then see if any front components are beyond wear. Replacing front rubber hoses, and even caliper assemblies, is is really easy.
My brakes function normal except in a situation where I am reversing downhill with my automatic in gear. There is very little stopping power. I can't even come to a complete stop. If do the same thing in neutral, it stops without hesitation. I used to have this downhill driveway, but have since moved. My Jeep is almost done with an engine rebuild & I haven't driven it in a while. I do recall the front brakes locking up on this busted driveway while the rears would spin in that particular situation. My concern is that I have a vehicle is that out of control when reversing downhill unless I pop it out of gear. While I am cognitive of that, I don't want it to be a risk if I'm out on a 3 or 5 point switchback. If that seems like a portioning valve issue, I'll follow that lead & yes this is an issue that nobody else has run across. All of us would rather have disk brakes over drums & I couldn't pass this conversion up regardless. I flushed most of the brake fluid when I put SS extended lines a little over a year ago.

Ya, as you press hard on the brakes the proportioning valve pretty much shuts off the rear brakes. If you are pushing hard on the pedal and the fronts don't lock something isn't right. Bigger brakes is true but really only for the fronts. I'm not trying to rain on the rear disc parade but it would really suck if you spend all the time and money and didn't fix the problem.
what front brakes are you running for 35s?
Rolling on stock front brakes

So if my front brakes lock up & the vehicle is still in motion draggin the tires backwards downhill, it's normal? This only happens when my automatic is in gear. Out of gear it stops on a dime. It seems like the drivetrain is overpowering the rear brakes.

So your front will lock and the tires get dragged while I’m reverse?

So your front will lock and the tires get dragged while I’m reverse?
Yes. Slowly downhill. Won't come to a complete stop until on level Ground. This is with the tranny is reverse. Stops on a dime in neutral. This was on a busted up driveway with gravel here & there.

So if my front brakes lock up & the vehicle is still in motion draggin the tires backwards downhill, it's normal? This only happens when my automatic is in gear. Out of gear it stops on a dime. It seems like the drivetrain is overpowering the rear brakes.
If your fronts are locking up that really means the fronts are working well, they should be locking in the situation you describe. If you want an easy solution just put it in 4wd while you are backing up. The front brakes will stop the back wheels through the drivetrain. I don't really know how strong the stock rear brakes are supposed to be on any Jeep, disc or drum.

Reactions: Steel City 06
I
If your fronts are locking up that really means the fronts are working well, they should be locking in the situation you describe. If you want an easy solution just put it in 4wd while you are backing up. The front brakes will stop the back wheels through the drivetrain. I don't really know how strong the stock rear brakes are supposed to be on any Jeep, disc or drum.
I vaguely recall trying it in 4WD with no change in result while troubleshooting. Doesn't it seem odd that a vehicle won't come to a complete stop on a hill though? I have operated everything from farm tractors, to underground coal mining equipment, to cargo jet support equipment... they all were able to completely stop on any kind of slope