Garage Door Replacement

Smtwnwygrl

I'm looking to replace my old garage door. These garage door guys don't make it easy. They all want too much $$! I've read through several manufacturers' installation instructions. This is something I feel very comfortable doing myself. Choosing which manufacturer to go with is another matter. Just finding where to purchase a door directly has been a challenge. I finally found a door installer that would tell me where to get one. There is a large distributor of First United Doors, I can pick up a garage door 6 days a week, for $470. There is Overhead Door, 6 days a week pickup, $435. Then, I can order a CHI door, 2 weeks delivery, $455. Clopay, Wayne Dalton, and Amarr will sell me a garage door, all in the $600-$700 range. Raynor is dealer only, $990 quote. First United has a lifetime warranty. The others have a 15-year warranty. All the same type of door, 25 gauge steel, raised panel, non-insulated, 15X7. I guess it comes down to what is available, how long I want to wait for delivery, and what I want to pay.

I did my 9 ft tall x 8 ft door alone, and I've replaced both extension springs and torsion springs on a couple of other doors. The biggest part that bothered me with the install was the 100+ self tapping screws that hold it all together. There was no mention of torque in any instructions and what was probably "tight enough" felt too loose but going any tighter often ended up stripping the hole. IIRC a 3/8 torque wrench probably couldn't be set low enough to help me if I knew what it should have been.

Also keep in mind that any spring in action can cause huge problems but it's the torsion springs that can act like a high lift jack on steroids and crack if you're not paying complete attention to what your doing. I may be crazy but I felt better about doing the torsion springs with no one else around because I knew I wouldn't get interrupted or distracted while torqueing them and whether you're alone or not NEVER do it right in front of you, always do that on your right or left side, that way if something goes wrong you're less likely to become part of the damage.

My dad got his hand pretty mangled in the spring once working on our garage door as a kid. I don't think he's had feeling in his thumb ever since

A garage door replacement/install is easy if you know what your doing, if you don't know they can be dangerous in more ways than just the torsion spring. I have installed and adjusted quite a few over the years and still am very cautious when doing them, sometimes its easer to write the check 🤔

Reactions: bucky
It depends on your circumstances, but I'm an advocate of insulated doors. Even if you don't really need the insulation. Quieter and ruggeder with much better ding resistance.

Reactions: bucky and tworley