Garbage OEM fog light mounting brackets

DeltaNu1142

TJ Enthusiast
Granted I've only spent the last 15 minutes actually dealing with this... but I'm short on patience and ideas. One of my '05 fog lights is loose. I wouldn't usually care, but the state tax otherwise known as vehicle inspection requires that the fog light beam doesn't drift up up and blind people, and I guess I agree. However... one of my screws is apparently stripped. The other one tightened down adequately. This one spins & spins...

IMG_0515.JPG

My next step is to grind the plastic "nut" (circled) off the right side of the mount and go get a bolt/washers/nut combo to tighten this thing. Has anyone else come up with a better idea?

Granted I've only spent the last 15 minutes actually dealing with this... but I'm short on patience and ideas. One of my '05 fog lights is loose. I wouldn't usually care, but the state tax otherwise known as vehicle inspection requires that the fog light beam doesn't drift up up and blind people, and I guess I agree. However... one of my screws is apparently stripped. The other one tightened down adequately. This one spins & spins...

View attachment 529218

My next step is to grind the plastic "nut" (circled) off the right side of the mount and go get a bolt/washers/nut combo to tighten this thing. Has anyone else come up with a better idea?

i don't have a solution, but lest you think of just buying some "nice" replacement lights like KC's, the mounts aren't better in a way that prevents this issue. I'm always pushing my fog light back into position as there's no detent and inadequate friction to hold them in place. I may clearance the bracket with a dremel so I can fit a star washer in between that will bite into the plastic and keep it stationary.

Reactions: red02tj and PRNDL
OK - I took a Dremel to the mount and removed that plastic bit that the bolt threads into.

IMG_0516.JPG

I'm of the firm opinion that anything you want to stay attached to your vehicle shouldn't rely on coarse metal threads into plastic... nutsert-type fasteners excluded, of course. This bolt looks like something that would come in the hardware bag of a flat-pack particle board night stand from Walmart.

I'll go to the hardware store today for a bolt, washers, and locknut (and maybe a star washer, good idea @freedom_in_4low), and drill the hole on the right side out to the diameter I need. I might even do the other one out of spite for the design.

Last edited:
I found a state inspection station that doesn't nitpick all the little things like that. It's such a relief and takes 5 minutes to get my new sticker. I even have my LED driving lights setup to come on with the high beams. 🤫

• Wow
Reactions: ColoJeep
I found a state inspection station that doesn't nitpick all the little things like that. It's such a relief and takes 5 minutes to get my new sticker. I even have my LED driving lights setup to come on with the high beams. 🤫
That's funny, I set my F150 to do the same and this shop hasn't caught that any time I've had it in for inspection...!

I like the shop, it's local and I've used them for all the repairs I've needed on other vehicles, but maybe I need to find another one. In any case, the battery tie-down and wipers needed fixing and if nothing else the sticker is giving me the motivation to get them done.

Last edited: