Gas cap replacement suggestions?

Ted05Rubi

TJ Enthusiast
The locking gas cap on my 05 Rubicon is a PIA. Since most of the Jeep is unsecured, I'm thinking of getting a non-locking cap. Any concerns I should have regarding seal/vacuum etc.? How about sources? Thanks

Reactions: JMT
The locking gas cap on my 05 Rubicon is a PIA.

I had the factory keyed-to-ignition locking gas cap and it was becoming more and more difficult to remove so I replaced it with a non-locking gas cap.

Any concerns I should have regarding seal/vacuum etc.? How about sources? Thanks

I bought a MOPAR non-locking cap from RockAuto for ~$20 and haven't had any issues in over five years.

I had the factory keyed-to-ignition locking gas cap and it was becoming more and more difficult to remove so I replaced it with a non-locking gas cap.

I bought a MOPAR non-locking cap from RockAuto for ~$20 and haven't had any issues in over five years.
That's what I'm thinking makes the most sense, since I'm not worried about theft or vandalism.

I too got tired of my locking gas cap but made sure the non-locking replacement was the OE Mopar. The gas cap is part of the evaporative system and if it leaks any air during the vacuum test conducted every time the Jeep is started, you'll get a Check Engine light. Some aftermarket caps can leak and cause that CEL. Locking aftermarket gas caps are especially prone to allowing vacuum leaks during the test.

I too got tired of my locking gas cap but made sure the non-locking replacement was the OE Mopar. The gas cap is part of the evaporative system and if it leaks any air during the vacuum test conducted every time the Jeep is started, you'll get a Check Engine light. Some aftermarket caps can leak and cause that CEL. Locking aftermarket gas caps are especially prone to allowing vacuum leaks during the test.
That's exactly what I was concerned about. OEM it is. Thanks for the conformation.

Necro-thread.

I’ve thrown a P0455. My Jeep has an aftermarket gas cap installed by previous owner.

I’ve had the Jeep over a year and have had no issues. But the gas cap seems like the place to start.

Finding a part number for a 2002 Mopar Gas cap has proven harder than it should be.

Anyone know the correct part number for my ‘02?

This is an OEM one for $8.25 on Amazon.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0050ISS7Y/?tag=wranglerorg-20

I put one from a 2016 Cherokee on my 2003 TJ. Perfect fit. A lot of Jeep/Dodge/vehicles use a compatible cap

Last edited: