Gas mileage check

Had to convert from KMs to MPG (USA Gallon) and am getting an average of 15.5 -16 MPG using 91RON this is all non HWY, city and suburb driving only.
Not sure if this is good or bad? not worried about squeezing the wallet on fuel costs as I knew TJ,s were thirsty before I got one.
91 RON is our standard or regular Gas with 95 and 98 RON for older VVT and performance engines It runs fine on 91 with no pinging.

Cheers
Anywhere from 15 - 18 is normal. ( At least in my 02 Sport manual trans)

Reactions: Fishtaco
15-16 MPG city driving is very acceptable with a TJ. I doubt you are running rich unless you are blowing an SES light with O2 sensor codes.
4.0 usually run a bit on the lean side,
I get around 10-12MPG on the highway and 8 MPG around town, but I have a lot of mods.

When my Rubicon was bone stock I could manage 16-18 MPG on the highway as long as I kept it @ 65mph, anything over that and the mpg dropped.
it did throw both pre cat 02 codes a few days after I bought it but they have not come back. I bought a full set of NTK,s from RockAuto but have since been told they are not the same as export TJ 02,s and wont work, I just cant see it being so! I contacted NGK USA Australia and Japan and all they could tell me was they have a different coding and number? $180 from RockAuto shipped $800 au for aussie NTK,s sounds like Globalization to me.

We suck at work vacation perks here in the USA.
I have a brother in Sweden and they have good work perks like you guys.
I wish I can go and retire in Australia or New Zealand. Maybe Papua New Gunea.
We also get "long service leave", stay with a company 10 years and you get an extra 13 weeks paid leave thats every 10 years or paid pro rata after 8 years if you quit, also 10 days per year paid "personal leave", Australia also has the most public holidays of any country, thats why everything is so expensive here we are never at work :)
Perth is the best place in the world to retire if you can afford to its like CA was in the 1950s :)

I served this country but will definitely leave the USA when I retire.
Perth has a Navy/submarine port and is a USA Navy friendly city, people here are encouraged to take US service persons into there home when on shore leave, Young Marines are very respectful until ya get a few beers and cocktails into them, 18 is the drinking age here and they love it! Perth people have possibly been on more US Aircraft carriers than 99.9% of US Citizens lol

Reactions: TJ2
What CA fuel watered down? lol Outside rush hour (hours) I found CA driving pretty good on the Hwys, actually Perth is a lot like a mix of Long Beach and San Diego without the Walmart crazies :)
And here I though Australia had something going for it. I mean, minus your crazy vehicle regulations, gun laws, batshit crazy younger generation, and nearly every living organism around you actively trying to kill humans thing.....I thought that you at least had space; even in the metro areas. I was way off. 😆

I have a stock '97 TJ 2.5L 5-spd (with 31" tires). The first tank I measured was 16 mpg, this was 100% city driving. This was after I did a full tune-up and changed out all fluids. However, I did have an SES light that I cured with a new full exhaust system (including cat and O2 sensors). I will measure my next tank and report back.

Reactions: Fishtaco
Always a trade off. My family hails from Norway/Sweden and I'd love to live there some day. But the taxes are crazy high even under American standards.

I have a stock '97 TJ 2.5L 5-spd. The first tank I measured was 16 mpg, this was 100% city driving. This was after I did a full tune-up and changed out all fluids. However, I did have an SES light that I cured with a new full exhaust system (including cat and O2 sensors). I will measure my next tank and report back.
Tune up for me is more than just the spark plugs and O2 sensors.

Always a trade off. My family hails from Norway/Sweden and I'd love to live there some day. But the taxes are crazy high even under American standards.
Yeah, but with the Swedish babes will be a wash.
I am just sick and tired of these. I need more mileage (I mean gas mileage).
1606609537245.png

Last edited:
And here I though Australia had something going for it. I mean, minus your crazy vehicle regulations, gun laws, batshit crazy younger generation, and nearly every living organism around you actively trying to kill humans thing.....I thought that you at least had space; even in the metro areas. I was way off. 😆
We have to let you people believe these terrible things else you will all want to come and live here :) you can have licensed firearms but they must be kept in a secure fixed gun safe you must register for spot checks and not be semi or automatic but aint that what bump stocks are for?
A tourist got eaten by a great white shark last week and they put over 45 rounds into it but it just kept chewing. Fools go surfing and swimming during the wale migration and we no longer net sharks on all but the most popular beaches where its catch and release.
More people die of bee stings than things that bite ya I cant ever remember anyone dying from a snake or spider bite.
Dogs die all the time but they do persist in trying to eat venomous snakes from the middle. :)

• Haha
Reactions: TJ2 and ejay
I don't really need super good Gas Mileage anyway! Perth's most popular beach on a very busy day and its only 8 1/2miles from the city centre costs me a gallon :)

perth-western-australia-december-st-view-scarborough-beach-near-perth-sunny-warm-summer-day-vi...jpg

I use Fuelly to track all my fill ups on all my vehicles. Here is my Jeep:

1036969.png

And as a comparison, here is my Lexus LX450:

188474.png

behind those numbers are years of data. The joke, when I bought the Jeep was—it gets better mileage than the Lexus. (Even if just barely.). If I’m looking at a vehicle, and want real world fuel economy data, I start at Fuelly.com

I get a very generous vacation at my place of work..... I never have time to take it however. Finding employees in my field is very tight and has been for a number of years. I do actually get paid for 75% of the vacation time I can't take so that buys a few TJ/CJ parts.

Reactions: TJ2