Gas tank overflow

Status
Not open for further replies.

jamespwsullivan

MJ, TJ, XJ (R.I.P.)
Supporting Member
OK. I made a good faith effort to find an answer to this before I posted. I searched the forums and then started at the end of the General Forum working backwards, but after three pages all I had done was read a bunch of really interesting discussions.
I talked to Mitchell at JcrOffroad the other day and mentioned that this is my first TJ and how do I get the gas pump to shut off before gasoline starts spewing out of the filler neck. He laughed and asked me what year my TJ is. I say “2005 Unlimited” and he says “known issue.” That’s all I got. Is there a fix for this and if not, what do you guys do to keep this from happening? I am so used to filling the tank completely that I will have to retrain myself. So ????

Thanks Chris. I searched the forum for “gas tank overflow” but the search engine couldn’t read my mind. Anyone know if the part is still available? Looks like it disappeared a while back but I’ll start looking.

Reactions: Chris
I've seen that too. My jeep won't take gas unless pumping super slow, is that the same problem part?
Most likely the float is stuck in the closed/near closed position so it takes forever to fill. Mine would take literally 20ish mins to fill.

How is the float sticking causing gas to back splash out during filling once the tank is full?
Depends on where, when, and how it sticks and unsticks when hit with flowing fuel from the gas nozzle. Here is what we do know beyond a shadow of a doubt. Not a single fuel tank/filler neck had this problem when it was new. Something changed over time and exposure to fuel. If we return the function of the valve to the way it was when it was new, it operates as it did when it was new.

We know the problem isn't in the tank shell. It isn't in the filler neck and hose, so what changed that could cause the issue(s)? The only thing that has changed is the operation of the roll-over valve at the base of the filler neck inside the tank and it sticks, gets sticky, or is stuck at any place between fully open and almost shut. The sticky ones cause fuel spit back, stuck open isn't noticed, stuck almost shut causes you to dribble fuel in forever to fill the tank. How far it has moved upward in the cage determines how fast you get fuel in.

If you drop the tank, pop the cage out and file/sand down the nubs on the sides of the valve, the problem will be actually fixed and won't return. I even showed the owner on the last one that the filing down of the nubs is as simple as just rubbing them on the concrete we were sitting on.

So just asking cause I don't know...is the roller valve the same as the float?
If you are referring to the fuel level float, no, they are two different things. The plunger/roll over valve is right at the opening of the fuel tank neck. You can actually see and operate it by removing the lower end of the hose. I tried to jam mine down and run the GM hose. Worked for a few fill ups then it reverted to either splashing back or ultra slow filling.

Well no I must confess that my question was a bit dishonest as I know the difference between the two. My original question was in reply to the misstatment that the cause of the OP's problems was the float sticking and not the valve. I do disagree though in general that putting a GM filler neck on is not a fix for the OP's problem. It most certianly will not help with slow filling but works for splash back at least according to the GM engineers. Plus as a bonus you do not have to drop the tank.

Well no I must confess that my question was a bit dishonest as I know the difference between the two. My original question was in reply to the misstatment that the cause of the OP's problems was the float sticking and not the valve. I do disagree though in general that putting a GM filler neck on is not a fix for the OP's problem. It most certianly will not help with slow filling but works for splash back at least according to the GM engineers. Plus as a bonus you do not have to drop the tank.
GM engineers didn't design the TJ filler neck so TJ filler necks don't need GM band-aids.

That was never claimed... see you proved my point we are going to disagree on this.
It doesn't have to be claimed to be true and if anyone wants to debate a band-aid versus actually fixing the problem, that is a position I will not deviate from because I understand how it works, why it doesn't, what the problems are and what the solution, the actual solution is to fixing the problem. You are welcome to debate it from a position of ignorance all you wish, but at the end of the day, that is what is happening. Agree or not, my solution works every single time, the GM band-aid does not.

It doesn't have to be claimed to be true and if anyone wants to debate a band-aid versus actually fixing the problem, that is a position I will not deviate from because I understand how it works, why it doesn't, what the problems are and what the solution, the actual solution is to fixing the problem. You are welcome to debate it from a position of ignorance all you wish, but at the end of the day, that is what is happening. Agree or not, my solution works every single time, the GM band-aid does not.
See I knew that you would eventually appeal to your own superior intellect as proof of being right. Your ego allows for no other path.

Status
Not open for further replies.