Gas tank skid plate and hardware replacement parts?

Dell380

Hey all, just bought a 1997 Wrangler TJ and I'm loving it! Needs some work because it's rough around the edges and one of the things Needed to be done is replace the Gas tank skid plate. I found a Mopar skid plate on rock-auto for 113 and the straps are about 25, but I'd like to get all the nuts and bolts to replace the old ones. If possible could someone tell me what bolts and nuts I'd need and how many of each for the job, I can't seem to find it anywhere. Thanks!

My go to for OEM used Jeep parts has been Davey's Jeeps and they're not to far from you. Just FYI there are 2 OEM style fuel skids, the early one which was a bit flimsy but the later skid is stronger and interchangeable. They can usually help with your needs.

Don't go by what parts are posted, do a parts request as not everything is listed daily.

https://daveysjeeps.com/

My go to for OEM used Jeep parts has been Davey's Jeeps and they're not to far from you. Just FYI there are 2 OEM style fuel skids, the early one which was a bit flimsy but the later skid is stronger and interchangeable. They can usually help with your needs.

Don't go by what parts are posted, do a parts request as not everything is listed daily.

https://daveysjeeps.com/
Nice, will definitely check them out!

There are only 7 bolts holding the skid on, 4 above the bumper and 3 on the other side. You can pick them up at any ACE or Home Depot. Take one out from above the bumper and go get 7 new ones.

You will need to drop the fuel tank so you have all that to deal with as well. Unless someone has ideas on replacing the skid without dropping the tank.

You will need to drop the fuel tank so you have all that to deal with as well. Unless someone has ideas on replacing the skid without dropping the tank.
I'll try to get one out and take it to Lowe's or ACE, not crazy amount of rust on it but I feel like it could be enough just to make it a hassle. Who knows, we'll see once i start.

I dropped my gas tank just a few months ago. I don't remember what the bolts were but I did need a couple replacements. Whatever they were, I bought 7 stainless steel replacements to hopefully avoid future rust issues at a local ACE Hardware.

I'll try to get one out and take it to Lowe's or ACE, not crazy amount of rust on it but I feel like it could be enough just to make it a hassle. Who knows, we'll see once i start.
The tank skid is hung with 7 5/16-18 x 1" grade 5 carriage bolts with a low height shoulder. The nuts are free spinning washer versions with about a 9/16" diameter washer.

I just removed mine a few days ago. Drive it until the tanks mostly empty to make it easier, or just drop it down on the jack nice and slowly and drain the gas out before reinstalling. Above the tank there's a fuel line that is separated by pushing in two tabs, a breather tube that just slips out of it's hose, and an electrical connecter with a red tab to disconnect. There's enough length in the electrical connector once you pull it free from it's retainers so that you can lower the tank a bit to get more access to the connector. You'll need an extension to get to the nuts in front of the tank. The 4 at the back are super easy to get to as long as your bumper isn't in the way somehow. As long as all 7 nuts come off cleanly you can reuse them. If your skid is too crusty to live then you may have some problems with your straps but you'll probably be able to reuse them. You won't need any bolts if the nuts come off okay and you can start them again.

I just removed mine a few days ago. Drive it until the tanks mostly empty to make it easier, or just drop it down on the jack nice and slowly and drain the gas out before reinstalling. Above the tank there's a fuel line that is separated by pushing in two tabs, a breather tube that just slips out of it's hose, and an electrical connecter with a red tab to disconnect. There's enough length in the electrical connector once you pull it free from it's retainers so that you can lower the tank a bit to get more access to the connector. You'll need an extension to get to the nuts in front of the tank. The 4 at the back are super easy to get to as long as your bumper isn't in the way somehow. As long as all 7 nuts come off cleanly you can reuse them. If your skid is too crusty to live then you may have some problems with your straps but you'll probably be able to reuse them. You won't need any bolts if the nuts come off okay and you can start them again.
Thanks for the information!

Reactions: EzPeezy