Gear Lube Blowing Out Vent After ARB Locker Install

g.hayduke

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
Ride of the Month Winner
Hello Gang

I just had an ARB locker installed in my LJR rear Dana 44. There have been some issues but right now, the only remaining issue is that it's blowing gear lube out of the vent. I drove it less than 2 hours after picking it up from the gear shop and it left a few drip as I pulled into the garage. Then I noticed the frame and side of the gas tank are also coated. In case you aren't aware, the vent for the rear diff is terminated in the left rear corner of the tub. FUCK!

Anyway, I suspect the installer neglected to do what's required for this step in the instructions:
20220530_113056.jpg

Can anyone confirm if you need to add a hole or notch at the bottom of the left axle tube when installing an ARB locker in a Dana 44 for proper oil drainage? The manual makes reference to a "Salisbury axle" but the illustration looks like a Dana 44 cover. From my research there was apparently some Dana/Salisbury cross pollination but I thought maybe in this case it's an Aussie-ism.

Apparently, the left axle tube is filling up with lube and then I'm guessing air pressure in the axle as it heats up must be pushing the lube up the vent tube and out.

If anyone knows of another explanation, please share. I don't have any gear lube on hand and don't want to recycle what's in there so I'm not prepared to investigate at the moment.

TIA

Reactions: Grant Lasson
Too much diff fluid (edit: overfilled) and it’s self correcting.

Seriously? I don't think so. Would almost have to be filled through the vent tube to get that much excess lube in there. I watched him fill it actually. No excess lube.

Nice try though.

Last edited:
Seriously? I don't think so. Would almost have to be filled through the vent tub to get that much excess lube in there. I watched him fill it actually. No excess lube.

Nice try though.
Ok.

Edit: the illustration doesn’t look like a Dana 44. I looked up Salisbury axles and read mention of Dana 60. Someone smarter will chime in.

it'll spit what it finds excessive.
the drains are recommended so 1 might think they should have been verified or created.

Salisbury refers to the style of axle where the main carrier casting is part of the axle housing like Dana 44 versus a removable carrier style like a 9inch.

Your oil problem could be overfilling or not ensuring proper drainage the only way to know is to inspect.

Too much diff fluid (edit: overfilled) and it’s self correcting.

I might have been too hasty. The filler hole in my Riddler cover is higher than I realized. Maybe it is/was that full. Worth a check. Thanks for the suggestion.

And you're right. The illustration doesn't exactly match a Dana 44. Maybe I have 1 less serious problem than I thought. Would be a nice change in pattern.

20220530_180734.jpg

Reactions: taylormade73
I might have been too hasty. The filler hole in my Riddler cover is higher than I realized. Maybe it is/was that full. Worth a check. Thanks for the suggestion.

And you're right. The illustration doesn't exactly match a Dana 44. Maybe I have 1 less serious problem than I thought. Would be a nice change in pattern.

View attachment 333918
Hope it’s just that for you.

Reactions: pagrey
If you have an air leak it will blow fluid out. Especially if your vent is plugged.

No air leak. Compressor only runs for a couple seconds after every other actuation. Then it shuts off and stays off.

And if the vent was plugged, how would fluid be blowing out of it?

it'll spit what it finds excessive.
the drains are recommended so 1 might think they should have been verified or created.

I'm looking for confirmation if any mods are needed for oil drainage on a Rubi Dana 44. I'm sure there are tons of people here who have put an ARB in a Rubi Dana 44 who would know if any mods to the case were needed.

the fluid level hole should be just above the bottom of the tube, shouldn't it? just high enough to allow enough lube down the tube to keep the bearings wet, correct? that fill/level hole is at the top of the tube and if filled that high would result in a good deal of seepage into those tubes, correct?

same thing happened to me when I installed an ARB locker in my rear Dana 44, overfilled, self corrected, cleaned up, everything is good now...in other words, @taylormade73 was dead on correct...and no mods needed for me...

You installed it yourself in a Rubicon Dana 44 rear axle?

Did you see drain holes already there for the axle tubes?

Hello Gang

I just had an ARB locker installed in my LJR rear Dana 44. There have been some issues but right now, the only remaining issue is that it's blowing gear lube out of the vent. I drove it less than 2 hours after picking it up from the gear shop and it left a few drip as I pulled into the garage. Then I noticed the frame and side of the gas tank are also coated. In case you aren't aware, the vent for the rear diff is terminated in the left rear corner of the tub. FUCK!

Anyway, I suspect the installer neglected to do what's required for this step in the instructions:
View attachment 333904

Can anyone confirm if you need to add a hole or notch at the bottom of the left axle tube when installing an ARB locker in a Dana 44 for proper oil drainage? The manual makes reference to a "Salisbury axle" but the illustration looks like a Dana 44 cover. From my research there was apparently some Dana/Salisbury cross pollination but I thought maybe in this case it's an Aussie-ism.

Apparently, the left axle tube is filling up with lube and then I'm guessing air pressure in the axle as it heats up must be pushing the lube up the vent tube and out.

If anyone knows of another explanation, please share. I don't have any gear lube on hand and don't want to recycle what's in there so I'm not prepared to investigate at the moment.

TIA
I ran into this with my arb install, it was blowing oil out of the vent for a while. I thought it was overfilled but after a bent axle I pulled the cover to service the diff. The oil was very low, I dropped the carrier and oil came out of the tube. I covered the pinion and sealed the axle tube and used a cut-off wheel to make the slots. Cleaned it up and removed the rags from the axle tube and pinion. Problem solved.

Reactions: Matt131
You installed it yourself in a Rubicon Dana 44 rear axle?

Did you see drain holes already there for the axle tubes?
I did not do the install, yes, it is a Dana 44 Rubicon axle, and no, I do not have any drain holes in the axle tubes, just the vent...

It needs the drain, just like @tworley is showing. IF it has the right amount of fluid it shouldn't ever puke.
I did my own ARB/gear install and didn't make the drain big enough. It barfed like a mofo till I enlarged it. Been ok since.