Gen III Hemi Swap into TJ Reference Guide & Swap Info

I guess that's all part of the "fun/challenge/problem" of doing modifications on our Jeeps because there are no two of them the same.

It truly is. And as I was finding out as I tried to go from the shorty to block hugger headers that alone caused me clearance issues.

I'm really interested in seeing how the Hemi sits in the frame rails and what things I'll have to change to make things work. But I've got yours and other Hemi swap threads to look at for reference and inspiration.

I guess that's all part of the "fun/challenge/problem" of doing modifications on our Jeeps because there are no two of them the same.

I haven't done anything else to my Jeep for a while, the project I'm in the middle of right now is acquiring all the items I need to lower my 1951 Ford Victoria by 3".
Raise one up and lower one down.🤪

• USA Proud
Reactions: Wildman
I haven't done anything else to my Jeep for a while, the project I'm in the middle of right now is acquiring all the items I need to lower my 1951 Ford Victoria by 3".
Raise one up and lower one down.🤪

I'd LOVE to have other projects but at this point my Jeep seems to occupy all my time & effort. Then once mine is done I'll have my daughters TJ to fix.
Then I hope to start doing some traveling for a while.

I'd LOVE to have other projects but at this point my Jeep seems to occupy all my time & effort. Then once mine is done I'll have my daughters TJ to fix.
Then I hope to start doing some traveling for a while.

I hear that loud and clear!
As much as I absolutely love my Jeep I have a few other vehicles and hobbies that I like equally as well. I'm like a lot of other people in that I need a hundred hours in a day to get some of my stuff done. I've mostly been working on my two cars this year doing some mods and upgrades on them. On the 51 Ford Victoria I just finished replacing all the brake system and upgrading to front disc brakes and a dual master cylinder. That makes the car so much safer to drive over the old drum brakes single masters cylinder. On my 1962 Ford Galaxie convertible I stripped the interior and made a few changes and repairs while I had the interior out. Also on both cars I added seat belts because my wife felt very uncomfortable riding in them without belts. She's not wrong I just probably would not have put them in without her asking. I think that's a man thing. LOL..
I also have a 1970 ROKON 2wd off-road motorcycle that I plan on doing a full restoration on. It's in original running condition so it will probably only take a repaint and clean up for the most part. Along with that I have a 1970 RUPP Black Widow motorcycle waiting for a restoration.
And...... As if that's not enough I am way way behind on flying my plane this year. I had planned on flying more than I have the last several years and that's not happening either.
Somebody, I don't know who told me that a lot of this may be self-inflicted, but I know they're wrong. They have to be wrong, right?

• USA Proud
I hear that loud and clear!
As much as I absolutely love my Jeep I have a few other vehicles and hobbies that I like equally as well. I'm like a lot of other people in that I need a hundred hours in a day to get some of my stuff done. I've mostly been working on my two cars this year doing some mods and upgrades on them. On the 51 Ford Victoria I just finished replacing all the brake system and upgrading to front disc brakes and a dual master cylinder. That makes the car so much safer to drive over the old drum brakes single masters cylinder. On my 1962 Ford Galaxie convertible I stripped the interior and made a few changes and repairs while I had the interior out. Also on both cars I added seat belts because my wife felt very uncomfortable riding in them without belts. She's not wrong I just probably would not have put them in without her asking. I think that's a man thing. LOL..
I also have a 1970 ROKON 2wd off-road motorcycle that I plan on doing a full restoration on. It's in original running condition so it will probably only take a repaint and clean up for the most part. Along with that I have a 1970 RUPP Black Widow motorcycle waiting for a restoration.
And...... As if that's not enough I am way way behind on flying my plane this year. I had planned on flying more than I have the last several years and that's not happening either.
Somebody, I don't know who told me that a lot of this may be self-inflicted, but I know they're wrong. They have to be wrong, right?

I learned how to fly with bush pilots in AK back in the 70's. Did my ground school in the 90's but ran out of funds for flight school & then life happened and I never followed thru after that.

I'd enjoy any of your other current projects and even know 3 of the 4 of them.

I learned how to fly with bush pilots in AK back in the 70's. Did my ground school in the 90's but ran out of funds for flight school & then life happened and I never followed thru after that.

I'd enjoy any of your other current projects and even know 3 of the 4 of them.

Bush pilots are amazing and I love all the bush planes.!!
I figured if anyone would know what a ROKON is it'd be you... "Bush Bike"

Bush pilots are amazing and I love all the bush planes.!!
I figured if anyone would know what a ROKON is it'd be you... "Bush Bike"

Had a 2WD version when I was in AK. That thing is a beast...

Bush pilots are some crazy people. I have tons of stories....

I think I've heard of Rupp before and swear I have a Rupp mini bike but I could be mistaken too.

Reactions: Daubie3
Had a 2WD version when I was in AK. That thing is a beast...

Bush pilots are some crazy people. I have tons of stories....

I think I've heard of Rupp before and swear I have a Rupp mini bike but I could be mistaken too.

bwpic.jpg

Here's a restored RUPP Black Widow.
It's not mine but the same thing.

IMG_20220526_194640707_HDR.jpg

This is my actual ROKON Trailbreaker, without the gas tank on it..
Gas tank had rust in it so I was running it off the mustard bottle gas tank I MacGyver'd.. LOL

IMG_20190909_110851217_HDR.jpg

My Cessna 172 that I need to spend more time with..

• Love
Then Yep it might have been a Rupp mini bike I'd owned. I spent a lot of time on that thing before I got a Yamaha dirt bike.

Then Yep it might have been a Rupp mini bike I'd owned. I spent a lot of time on that thing before I got a Yamaha dirt bike.

RUPP made several models, but all were very similar. Most of the others had a headlight and tail light. The Black Widow was their "Racing" model to compete with the 100 c Japanese bikes..but they fell short.

RUPP made several models, but all were very similar. Most of the others had a headlight and tail light. The Black Widow was their "Racing" model to compete with the 100 c Japanese bikes..but they fell short.

This was 50 years ago so my memory of it are a little off. Mine was missing the cover for the clutch and I have scars on my left leg where it ate a little calf once. But for a 13 year old kid it was a load of fun. I came from a No motorcycle family so my parents weren't real thrilled when I came home with it. It was in rough shape but I got the engine running and it worked.

• Love
This was 50 years ago so my memory of it are a little off. Mine was missing the cover for the clutch and I have scars on my left leg where it ate a little calf once. But for a 13 year old kid it was a load of fun. I came from a No motorcycle family so my parents weren't real thrilled when I came home with it. It was in rough shape but I got the engine running and it worked.

We definitely need to DM sometime to reminisce and compare the fun kid days..
Sounds like we're the same age, or close..

Reactions: Wildman and Daubie3
Dammit! My little exhaust port heads suck!

😳

GOOD thing is that they flow as well if not better than many aftermarket heads that other brands pay extra for. Yes the Eagle heads are better but... The early Hemi heads do a pretty good job.

Last edited:
In October of last year I did an Eagle head head swap with the smallest shelf cam that Cam Motion makes. Stock short block. I went with .070 Cometic head gaskets to lower the compression a bit. Full Scat Pack exhaust minus the cats. This is all in a 2007 Charger that I bought in limp mode for $2000. This thing screams and is a blast to drive. I can't imagine this engine in a Jeep. It would be wild.

I bracket raced for about 10 years. 340 with W2 heads. My professionally ported W2's with stupid expensive rocker gear and headers would not flow what these Eagles do. Bad ass head for sure.

In October of last year I did an Eagle head head swap with the smallest shelf cam that Cam Motion makes. Stock short block. I went with .070 Cometic head gaskets to lower the compression a bit. Full Scat Pack exhaust minus the cats. This is all in a 2007 Charger that I bought in limp mode for $2000. This thing screams and is a blast to drive. I can't imagine this engine in a Jeep. It would be wild.

I bracket raced for about 10 years. 340 with W2 heads. My professionally ported W2's with stupid expensive rocker gear and headers would not flow what these Eagles do. Bad ass head for sure.

Thanks for the input on this kit. Should be an interesting modification and upgrade. The 2.0 Hellfire cam offered with this kit looks to be pretty mild also but better than a stock cam.

Just to NOTE here: If doing this swap to Eagle heads you have two choices when it comes to your intake manifold.
1) Reuse the stock 03-08 intake manifold but the runners will be smaller & you'll need some adapter plates form MMX.

Early 5.7L to 5.7L Eagle HEMI Intake Conversion Plates

2) Get a 09-current truck intake manifold and run it. Now I'm not sure how much room in between the throttle body & hood. JeepSpeed does make a 90* adapter that I'm waiting to get a price on.

1718228513825.png

Nice! The 6.1 8 speed swap was relative easy if you can fabricate. Without hijacking the thread I can shed some light on the swap. When I get time I’ll do a detailed write up.

I have over 1,000 miles and loving it. Did the Rubicon a few weeks ago and plenty of on/off-road with no issues The 8 speed feels like you have an extra 30-40 HP vs the 5 speed and you can hit 100mph+ very easily. Not that a jeep should be going that fast.

As far as I know there are only 3 TJs running the 8 speed and we are all slightly different. There is not a lot of support, however Hotwire and Jeep Speed Shop helped where they could, but I was left to figure a lot out on my own.

The trans harness is completely different since it’s wired as a standalone hot rod harness with its own computer and canbus input.

I made my own gas pedal bracket, trans mount, exhaust, AC lines, and power steering lines. I re-used my TJ PSC pump since the bolt holes lined up perfectly, but had to make a simple spacer to align the belt.

My 6.1 came from a Cherokee and I didn’t need to change the accessory drive since everything fit…closely.

I used the Holley mounts and they worked great once the motor is in but it’s a PIA getting the motor and trans in.

You have to run a 1” body lift. I spent weeks trying to fit the exhaust and trans and couldn’t fit them without a lift. I am running a belly up skid plate so that might have played a part.

Stock SRT manifolds will not fit on the driver side with a long arm set up. Spent countless hours trying. Ended up using a modified shorty holly header to fit everything.

For my 2000 TJ I used a 05 ram computer, flashed the TCM in the trans for a 16 challenger.

6.1 and the 8HP70 bolts right up but I needed a different starter, shifter and trans dust shield.

Feel free to DM if you have any more questions.

Hammer do you happen to have any pictures or drawings of your fuel pedal bracket? Be nice to have the information here plus I'm starting my Hemi swap and need to make or find a bracket.

Thanks