General axle question...

MikekiM

TJ Addict
Supporting Member
My 2000 TJ6 has Dana 44 front and rear. Is it typical to build with matching 44's?

I've more frequently seen a lighter front axle.

Working through the initial steps towards regearing from my stock 3.73.

My 2000 TJ6 has Dana 44 front and rear. Is it typical to build with matching 44's?

I've more frequently seen a lighter front axel.

You likely have a Rubicon front 44. Is not, its a non TJ 44.

I've more frequently seen a lighter front axel.

Your 2000 TJ Sport would have come from the factory with a Dana 30 front axle. If you have a Dana 44 in the front now then someone took the time to swap it and re-gear it to match your rear axle ratio of 3.73. If your front axle originally came from TJ it would have been a Rubicon with 4.10 gears.

Is it typical to build with matching 44's?

I'm not sure if that question is about the factory build or an owner build but there's not a whole lot of difference as long as the gears match. I'm pretty sure the only difference between the TJ Dana 44 and the TJ Dana 30 is the differential itself and the Rubicon Dana 44 had a locker while the rest of either front axle is the same.

If you're looking to do monster truck stuff avoid them both and go big!

Quite the opposite... It's my DD and won't see much more than some dirt roads to camping spots and outer beach with soft sand.

One of the POs was a Master Mechanic at a local Jeep dealership. Not surprised to think he might have changed it. The guy I purchased it from (owned it for about six months) knew far less than I do.

So while my build sheet says Dana 44 with 3.73, with no mention to the same in the front, I should confirm that my gearing is indeed 3.73.. wouldn't be unrealistic to think it was re-geared already, though by butt-dyno says no...

You can jack it up and count revolutions of your DS vs tire, fairly easy to do in order to check your ratio. or are you suggesting that the front axle has a different ratio than the rear?