Getting a good ground on CB antenna mount

This is all very helpful. Anyone have any photos of where / how much paint needs to be removed from the tub when using the terraflex mount? Or is it only where the bolt washers contact the mount, and where the nut washers contact the inside of the tub?

This is all very helpful. Anyone have any photos of where / how much paint needs to be removed from the tub when using the terraflex mount? Or is it only where the bolt washers contact the mount, and where the nut washers contact the inside of the tub?
What mount is that?
If its the one that goes behind the light. It will have one bolt that will go thru the tub, this supposed to ground the mount. I would confirm the ground after installing it.

Related question: I’m planning to install this DAB* and Bluetooth add on unit from Kenwood:

https://kenwoodshop.co.uk/products/ktc500dab
Problem is the DAB antenna is supposed to go on the windshield with a grounding strap 'to bare metal under the headliner' with a magnetic attachment. What headliner? Best idea I’ve had so far is to use a Dremel to remove a circle of paint to attach the ground.

*european digital radio broadcast

The bracket itself needs to have a solid ground connection to the tub too. What has worked for me was to add a larger diameter mounting bolt with a big washer under the bolt head and another under the nut to increase the contact surface area. Grind the powder coating away from around the new bolt hole on the bracket you'll need to add, large enough that the washer is touching bare metal. Then do the same inside the fender, scrape off an area big enough for the second washer so it touches bare metal too.
Hi @Jerry Bransford ,

Thanks for this. I'm taking this approach. Would it be a good idea to use some kind of conductive grease to ensure a good connection between the washers and the mount, and between the washers and the tub? Or am I overthinking things?

What mount is that?
If its the one that goes behind the light. It will have one bolt that will go thru the tub, this supposed to ground the mount. I would confirm the ground after installing it.
Sorry, I should have specified. I'm using this. It's basically the Terraflex that's so popular on this forum, but it doesn't cost as much as a new CB radio. :) It arrived last week, and looks and feels very sturdy.

Uniden 520 and Firestik 2'. But in this thread, I'm just focusing on how to get a good ground, so was interested in how much paint to take off for the mount, etc.

Uniden 520 and Firestik 2'. But in this thread, I'm just focusing on how to get a good ground, so was interested in how much paint to take off for the mount, etc.
Getting a good ground is important. Another thing that is often over looked is the height of your antenna. I don't mean this as 2' 3' 4' ect. Your 2' antenna will have a sweet spot for its height in comparison to your jeep (the grounding) Sometimes by changing things such as adding/removing a spring mount or adjusting/removing the tip will bring your swr into the sweet spot. So don't get too crazy about grounding. Yes it is important but do what Jerry has stated above and start playing around with other factors.

Getting a good ground is important. Another thing that is often over looked is the height of your antenna. I don't mean this as 2' 3' 4' ect. Your 2' antenna will have a sweet spot for its height in comparison to your jeep (the grounding) Sometimes by changing things such as adding/removing a spring mount or adjusting/removing the tip will bring your swr into the sweet spot. So don't get too crazy about grounding. Yes it is important but do what Jerry has stated above and start playing around with other factors.
Thanks. I’m not having any trouble yet, I’m just getting ready to install the mount, and want to do it well. And then, yes, it’ll be time to tune!

Answering my own question: I should have just read Jerry's post more carefully. I get it now. Options seem to be:

1) Grind lots of powder coating off the back of the mount, and also grind the paint away from the tub where it touches. This way the mount is directly connected to the tub.

2) Grind a circle around the outside of the optional fourth mounting hole, and put a bolt in there with a big washer. Also grind away the paint on the inside of the tub, and put a big washer between the nut and the tub. This way the bolt acts as a connection between the mount and the tub.

3) Grind some powder coating away from one of the top holes on the mount (like this one displayed by @reddvltj), and attach a braided strap there. Keep it short, and run it to somewhere on the tub where you've removed the paint.

Am I right in understanding that any one of these will do? It looks like @Mr. Bills may have done all three!?