Getting ABS from a JL to work on a TJ

Yoda

TJ Enthusiast
Generally I hate older ABS systems from the 90's and 2000's. They are too slow and you'll need a half a mile to stop in the snow once the ABS kicks in. I've pulled the fuse in my TJ and feel as though I have better control in slippery conditions than the stock ABS controller can provide.

That said, I have the opportunity to get a set of JL Dana 44 axles from a wrecked JL for really cheap. I've driven in a JL and played around with the ABS and it is light years ahead of the TJ/XJ ABS system. It got me thinking... if I swap in the JL axles could I get the JL ABS system to work in a TJ?

Obviously the TJ ABS controller would have to be swapped out for the JL one but my concern is more the electronic compatibility. I know the TJ ABS module doesn't communicate with the PCM. The only outside world function of the TJ ABS module is a hard-wired warning light on the instrument cluster and it also connects to the OBD2 data link. I don't think the TJ ABS talks to the PCM at all and that is a standalone system all on its own.

Does the JL ABS controller work similarly? Is it a standalone system? It would be pretty cool if I could install it and make it work. Anyone have any idea? Thanks!

Wanted to add....that this is probably not just JL specific. If I were swapping in JK or any number of other axles I would still have a problem with the ABS tone rings not being correct. So you either buy custom tone rings if they even exist, or install the ABS module of the donor vehicle....or ditch ABS altogether.

Why not ask the brake master himself, @mrblaine?

Though I am skeptical he has any use for ABS on the rigs he builds, he may still have some answers.

• Haha
Reactions: ColoJeep
I'm sure the ABS system in a JL is similar to the JT, with that the control is imbedded in the computers that control the whole vehicle... I don't think it would work as easily as you'd like it to...

If it is optional you cant pay me to have ABS activated on ice, snow, and loose stuff out on the trail. Thankfully my TJ either doesn't have it or it appears to have been disabled somehow by a previous owner.