Getting cracking on cracks: Fixing cracks in door panel and hardtop

2002Apex5spd

As the months go by as I own my Jeep, I'm beginning to pick out the items I want to eventually replace, repair, or modify. One of the more obvious items that get my attention are the cracks in various parts. Mainly the passenger door panel and the hard top, though it wouldn't be complete without the ubiquitous center console cover crack either. This thing isn't a basket case but it wouldn't win high marks at Pebble Beach either.

I'm thinking of just going with a more hearty replacement on the center console anyway (like a metal lock box/ammo box type mod) so I'm not really including that one in this post, however if anyone has some kind of tip, trick, or way they fixed theirs I'm all ears.

The door panel, other than the crack, really isn't in bad shape. I'm guessing it's going to be either a epoxy and seal/hope for the best kind of fix but I am capable of doing plastic welding too. Not sure the makeup of this kind of plastic and if it would be receptive to that kind of work but I might try it out. I mean...it's already broken so worst I have to replace it anyway.

29640869967_2a40ae1ba1_h.jpg
Jeep issues by August Kelm, on Flickr

Hardtop is another story. It's not as bad as some I've seen, but it's not pristine either. It's in dire need of a new paint job/coating and as you'll see below, a few issues.

Outside of passenger side crack:

30708620528_6104a81d35_h.jpg
Jeep issues by August Kelm, on Flickr

Closeup view:

43669095165_2d1a986c6f_h.jpg
Jeep Issues by August Kelm, on Flickr

And inside:

43860651284_47aca96591_h.jpg

Rear drivers side above the rear tailgate window/door:

43669094885_04b80005ed_h.jpg

And thanks to a random jackass, a loose rear panel (due to a failed break-in attempt....all they had to do was try the damn door)

43860650684_9aacc29bda_h.jpg

From my research I think the proper epoxy to use on this thing (since it's not entirely fiberglass) would be this stuff: http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-5...0001&campid=5337789113&icep_item=140750521793

That being said, I've never done any kind of repair like this so any and all advise is most welcome. A list of needed tools, supplies, and PPE would be helpful too if at all possible. Might as well still be alive to enjoy the thing, right?

This site contains affiliate links for which Jeep Wrangler TJ Forum may be compensated.
You may be able to find the code for the door panel plastic on the inside. Most things have the type of plastic marked that way.

The hard top looks like a nasty crack. I don't know anything about fixing fiberglass (except that it can get itchy) but for the cost of a good used one it may not be worth it.

There must have been a time
when we could have said no.

@AndyG just posted this the other day about how he repaired the same crack in his door panel with black silicone. Check it out: Door panel crack repair

As for the hard top, it's made of SMC, which is similar to fiberglass. It could be repaired by anyone who has experience working with fiberglass.

Reactions: 2002Apex5spd
@AndyG just posted this the other day about how he repaired the same crack in his door panel with black silicone. Check it out: Door panel crack repair

As for the hard top, it's made of SMC, which is similar to fiberglass. It could be repaired by anyone who has experience working with fiberglass.
Awesome, going to check this out! Thanks for the link!

Reactions: Chris
You may have already done this, but if not, check out the Plastic Body Panel Repair section in the FSM. It lists the types of plastic used for each part, which might be helpful.

If you can fix the cracks in the door panels, please post pics of what you did! I've got the same cracks and would love to fix them.

Reactions: KCsTJ
You may have already done this, but if not, check out the Plastic Body Panel Repair section in the FSM. It lists the types of plastic used for each part, which might be helpful.

If you can fix the cracks in the door panels, please post pics of what you did! I've got the same cracks and would love to fix them.

I actually haven't checked that yet, thanks for the heads up. As luck would have it I work at a plastics factory and I just might be able to score some scrap plastic to use as a welding agent if its the right stuff.

Reactions: fuse
Saw this linked to the previous one. Went into my bookmarks. Might give this one a try over the other as it seems like this kind of fix will hold up a bit more over the years. It kind of looks like someone tried the silicone fix with the center console, didn't end well.

The repair is now 5 years old and still looks good.