Gift card scammers - How I got even w/ them

WestCoastDan

TJ Addict
I’m sure most are aware of the various methods used by scammers to take advantage of people, they all suck, but I figured out a way to ‘get even’ w/ them.

It started w/a text claiming to be my boss in a meeting and he needed me to help him get some gift cards.

I knew it was total bullshit from the very beginning, but decided to ‘play along’ just to get some laughs at their expense.

I “complied” with their requests to get photos of the codes on the backs of Apple cards, but instead of sending them photos of the codes, I searched the interweb for a middle finger photo.
I followed that w/ an apology, then sent a pic of an actual asshole; real close up and wrinkly; and then another apology! 😂

They were so excited about the possibility of scamming a quick buck, they kept texting me back!

That’s when I looked up photos of a more graphic nature, accompanied by additional apologies… AND THEY KEPT TEXTING BACK!

I won’t share the images here, but with captions like, “Does this look infected?” and “Does this mean my dog has worms?”, you get the idea. 😂😂

Here’s the last part of the conversation…
IMG_5218.jpeg

Maybe they’ll stop reaching out to me now!
😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

• Haha
Reactions: Apparition
I’m sure most are aware of the various methods used by scammers to take advantage of people, they all suck, but I figured out a way to ‘get even’ w/ them.

It started w/a text claiming to be my boss in a meeting and he needed me to help him get some gift cards.

I knew it was total bullshit from the very beginning, but decided to ‘play along’ just to get some laughs at their expense.

I “complied” with their requests to get photos of the codes on the backs of Apple cards, but instead of sending them photos of the codes, I searched the interweb for a middle finger photo.
I followed that w/ an apology, then sent a pic of an actual asshole; real close up and wrinkly; and then another apology! 😂

They were so excited about the possibility of scamming a quick buck, they kept texting me back!

That’s when I looked up photos of a more graphic nature, accompanied by additional apologies… AND THEY KEPT TEXTING BACK!

I won’t share the images here, but with captions like, “Does this look infected?” and “Does this mean my dog has worms?”, you get the idea. 😂😂

Here’s the last part of the conversation…
View attachment 497797

Maybe they’ll stop reaching out to me now!
😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

now they'll sell your info to a bunch of other scammers since they know it's an active number

• Haha
Reactions: BlueC
That’s OK… I saved the photos, just in case!!! 😂😂😂😂😂😂

it's the circle of life. they did the same when they saved your photos to prove that it's a real number. they're gonna sell your number and in the end will get paid thanks to you responding. you'll send the same photos to the next set of clowns who try to scam you, they will then turn around and sell your number again, keeping the cycle funded.

I guess I'm behind (poor choice of words)..can't anyone access the numbers on the gift card? The store has to scan then to activate no? So what are scammers doing with the numbers?

I've been getting a lot of texts that start along the lines of "Hey! How have you been?". Clearly someone trying to get a response.

If its a number I dont have saved, whether text or call, I ignore it. If its someone actually trying to get a hold of me for a legitimate purpose they can leave me a voicemail.

Reactions: freedom_in_4low
You didn't "get even with them" the second you chose to entertain them.

There's sites/forums (like this one) where scammers willingly sell/trade/distribute personal information.
Your information is more 'credible' BECAUSE you chose to hold some type of conversation (whether good or bad).
Like @Ocho said, your information is likely already sold.

Funny thing, a few years back someone called my grandma, claiming to be me, and said I was in jail with a $3,000 bond.
She paid into it, and held her lips TIGHT for YEARS. I never even knew about it. She never acted any differently, or even mentioned a sliver of it.
It wasn't until a few years back that she mentioned it for the first time, at which point I was uber confused.

Grandma might have lost $3,000 to a scammer, but I know who I'm calling if I need to keep a secret.:ROFLMAO:

-

Side note here, scammers aren't dumb.
They know the ins-outs of scamming. It's quite literally what they do.
They're roaches of society, but they are aware of that.

They're not concerned with whether or not you can "get even" with them.
They're only concerned that you either A) reply or B) fall for the gimmicks.

I've been getting a lot of texts that start along the lines of "Hey! How have you been?". Clearly someone trying to get a response.

If its a number I dont have saved, whether text or call, I ignore it. If its someone actually trying to get a hold of me for a legitimate purpose they can leave me a voicemail.

I've had a couple of those as well. Glad it's not just me....it crossed my mind it could be somebody trying to get a hold of someone who used to have my number, but I've had this number since 2016, so probably not.

Reactions: tworley
Does not really matter that it is an active phone number to them They use a call generator and just dial every number possible and when you answer you hear the Blip and they transfer it to an operator. Unfortunately I do business all over the country and people move and keep their cell numbers so I have to answer. If I hear the blip I just hang up unless I’m bored and then I fuck with them and waste their time. My Dr’s office, the tire store and other legitimate callers come up as Spam on my iphone. Scammers keep calling because “Stupid People” fall for their scams. The Do Not Call list is worthless.

Does not really matter that it is an active phone number to them They use a call generator and just dial every number possible and when you answer you hear the Blip and they transfer it to an operator. Unfortunately I do business all over the country and people move and keep their cell numbers so I have to answer. If I hear the blip I just hang up unless I’m bored and then I fuck with them and waste their time. My Dr’s office, the tire store and other legitimate callers come up as Spam on my iphone. Scammers keep calling because “Stupid People” fall for their scams. The Do Not Call list is worthless.

I kept my southern Colorado number when moving back to OK. Since the scammers most often call from a number with a matching area code, I know if I get a 719 that isn't already in my phone, there's no point in answering. Almost all calls from any other area code in the country except for southern California turn out to be legitimate.

My spam text folder is full of stuff originating in England, for some reason.