Going 37s Stick with Super 35 or build a Dana 44?

TJBrad04

I have been running a 4.88 Super 35 with an ARB that has treated me well with my 35s. Moving up to a triangulated 4 link in the back that will require a truss and also adding 37s. The 4.88s will work fine for the 37s, but not be ideal since I'm running a 5 speed.

I think I'm at a cross road....

Do I keep things simple and truss the S35 or sell it and build a stronger Dana 44 with a 5.13? Im thinking the S35 with a truss would be a hard sell in the future....

You’d probably be best off going with aftermarket axles front and rear. ProRock, RockJock and other brands of aftermarket Dana 44 axles are stronger than TJ axles and would stand up to 37s better than a TJ Dana 30/35/44.

A lot of the users here will likely tell you not to consider a TJ axle for anything larger than 35s. A few will probably recommend Dana 60s.

No axle that ever came on a TJ is strong enough for 37's and they can't be made strong enough. Not with trusses, not with bigger alloy axle shafts, and not with internal or external sleeving. Not to mention there are many (true) experts who believe the TJ's wheelbase is too short as-is for 37's.

I have heard this before and don't understand it. I understand wheelbase vs bellyheight, but not why tire size is a factor? Are 37s a hindrance or just diminishing returns?

I’d swap in a 44 or better at minimum. I’ve been on a 44 and 37’s for a few years now and have gone through one stock shaft and one rear stock locker

I have heard this before and don't understand it. I understand wheelbase vs bellyheight, but not why tire size is a factor? Are 37s a hindrance or just diminishing returns?
Weight transfer (particularly on steep inclines typcially found off road, in the rocks) , managing the much larger tire size, departure angle, break over angle, shifting center of gravity in relation to the “37’s,” will all benefit from a stretch.

As you increase tire size, you are effectively shortening the wheel base since the distance between the back of the front tires and the front of the back tires is shorter.