Going to 35's

fljeeper

TJ Enthusiast
I have a 98 Sport, 4.0, manual, Dana 44 rear. I am going to go from 32's to 35's. For all those who have actually had 35's with a 4.0, 5 speed, what axle gears worked the best for you?

Thanks,

Dan

The answer will be either 4.88 or 5.13. I would recommend 5.13.

Have you looked at grimmjeeper.com yet?

This question has probably been asked and answered 5,000 times in the various jeep forums.

The answer is 4.88 or 5.13 as noted in Post #2. However, since you live in Florida rather than Colorado you will probably be happier with 4.88. However, that is purely a personal choice.

Try to find and drive a similarly equipped TJ with 35's and the ratio you are considering before you make your final choice.

Reactions: jjvw
I agree that where it's flat like Florida is, 4.88 would be what I'd go for for 35's with the 5-speed and 4.0L engine. I ran 4.88 gears myself with that combination for years and even with my local mountainous terrain I loved the 4.88 gearing. Perfect on the highway too.

Reactions: Alex01
I have the same setup. I went with 4.88 and it is perfect. I have crawled over everything I have pointed the jeep at without needing to touch the throttle or clutch in 4 wheel low and can cruise on the freeway at 70 - 75 without my engine screaming at me too much.

Reactions: KCsTJ
Yep in Ontario where it's almost as flat as Florida everyone tends to go 4.88 for stick and 5.13 for auto. Have a look at grimmjeeper.com/gears.html you can plan for your ideal rpm. Generally 2000-2500 rpm at 60mph is a good bet.

There must have been a time
when we could have said no.