'GONK' noise coming from under toward the back when turning sharp at slow / medium speed

theRealCrazy

Would it be that my differential is on its way out? What can I check in my driveway to assess the issue?

From what I can tell, the glonk is subtle (if radio on you can't hear anything). It's only one gonk and then nothing till i turn again.

Happens with speeds between 10 / 25mph. Doesnt seem to do it in reverse. Everything else work like a charm. Any idea?

I'd be doubtful it's the differential. I think it would more than likely be something suspension related such as the sway bar bushing. You could drive at slow speeds in a parking lot and have someone follow along while you turn at very, very low speeds to see if they can identify where the noise is coming from.

I had a loud bind/pop at slow turning speeds before and it was the rear diff (locker was engaged at speed). Can you have someone walk beside you while you drive and turn to see if you (or they) can isolate it?

The only time I ever heard "gonk" was when my daughter was learning to talk and she was trying to make the sound of a pig. That word probably lasted at least a year or so in our house.

I wish I had recorded it to share with everyone. Kinda like how a recording of your gonk, shared with us may make it easier for us to help you.

Reactions: theRealCrazy
The only time I ever heard "gonk" was when my daughter was learning to talk and she was trying to make the sound of a pig.

Just checked this am, I didn't find your daughter under which was a relief.
On a more serious note I'm going to have the wife drive the TJ while I walk by its side, hopefully she'll not run over me.
I'll keep you guys up to date!

Reactions: JEEPCJTJ
Go through all your suspension components and make sure every bolt is torqued to spec. I had gonk/clunk issue that went away as soon as I tightened all my CA bolts.

hey man, i had a similar sound and couldnt track it down. I said screw it and replaced all the control arms and the track bar only to discover that the bar pin bushings on the rear shocks were half way gone and the clunking was just the shock moving around. Only took $500 to discover a $100 repair was needed...