Good write-up on DIY re-gearing?

Hi, all I can say is what a learning experience….I am at 9 thousandths for backlash and the gear pattern is ok I think. But what do I know! I don’t know how much it is going to change when I try it with a crush sleeve and the proper torque. But this is as close as I can get it without doing that. My smallest pinion shim that came in the kit really f up the gear pattern so I ditched it and started over. This is using the factory values I measured from the old shims.

66E9EA71-560D-4867-A56C-10332D1C8BC6.jpeg

114282FE-85DA-4DDA-836C-AE26D8181A2D.jpeg

58679970-2E0C-41DF-B883-4078B976E3DC.jpeg

016ED4FB-EDAC-4994-AB91-1BB75AFD95CB.jpeg

I hate that blue paint 🙃
Looking at it, it looks a little shallow. As far as shims are concerned you need to mix and match until you get your correct depth. If you think you'll need a another one or two thousands, then you'll have to change out some other shims in order to get that combination since the smallest they make is .003

Pinion depth? I will Work on that! Thanks for the help I sure do appreciate it.

Hold up before you get too far. I'm looking at the pictures and your coast side looks like it could be good. The drive side looks a little shallow but there is huge distortion in the picture. Re-post with some normal looking photos like this picture...

IMG_20160806_115403318_zpsootuwk8a.jpg

I hate that blue paint 🙃
Looking at it, it looks a little shallow. As far as shims are concerned you need to mix and match until you get your correct depth. If you think you'll need a another one or two thousands, then you'll have to change out some other shims in order to get that combination since the smallest they make is .003
I think he is close but that blue does not give enough contrast.

Hi there, so today I got the back lash pretty close at 7-8 thousandths , I added the pinion shim .010 before someone said to hold up so I just went with it. The initial back lash with no changes to the carrier shims was 4 thousandths and the engagement pattern really showed that, it will be the yellow stuff. Adjusted the carrier’s shims and it is 7.5 thousandths. I honestly can’t tell if the pinion depth is better.

0BA3F177-3C6F-4507-9C67-73288112BAAA.jpeg

8357856C-0E3F-4C52-BE37-5B4C706FB99E.jpeg

EDFC138C-BC50-4728-9607-CA2A532F7822.jpeg

DF61E51F-DA38-4611-B487-7FC0CE933ED6.jpeg

9D003D5F-E05D-4289-B75F-F28BFCC520AB.jpeg

What gears are you using? Is 4 thou in the backlash spec range (I doubt it). Don't run patterns UNTIL backlash is in spec.

Going from blue to yellow makes it easier to read (at least for me), but be sure to spray the ring gear down with brakleen first. I can see the mix and it looks like an abstract painting😁. In addition, your patterns aren't showing up all that good....apply more resistance when running the pattern.

I can't really tell which pic is what, so clean the ring gear and repaint it with the added pressure. My guess is you will need to go back where you were previously (sorry I didn't catch you in time).

Reactions: Wildman
Thanks for replying, The gear set is the original 130 k mile unit. this whole exercise is just to get me back on the road for now, I had a complete bearing failures in the front dana 30. The rear diff fluid looks just as bad. This is my test to see if I can do it. So far I have made the set up bearings and used the original shim measurement for the starting point. That post is the Friday post. pinion shim was added, .010 thousandths and the backlash is 4 thousandths. I went ahead and painted the yellow and ran the pattern and as you can see it is not right. The blue yellow mix Is the 7.5 thousandths backlash and I wonder if I should just leave everything alone…..I wonder if I am chasing my tail with a wore out gear set. I just need to make it drivable so I can tear apart the rear end and see how bad it is….then possibly, just possibly I will order a new set for the front and back axels…..I am pretty sure no one here is capable of doing it. As a last resort I will throw it on a trailer and take it to a good 4 by 4 shop. Sorry for the crappy pictures.

Thanks for replying, The gear set is the original 130 k mile unit. this whole exercise is just to get me back on the road for now, I had a complete bearing failures in the front dana 30. The rear diff fluid looks just as bad. This is my test to see if I can do it. So far I have made the set up bearings and used the original shim measurement for the starting point. That post is the Friday post. pinion shim was added, .010 thousandths and the backlash is 4 thousandths. I went ahead and painted the yellow and ran the pattern and as you can see it is not right. The blue yellow mix Is the 7.5 thousandths backlash and I wonder if I should just leave everything alone…..I wonder if I am chasing my tail with a wore out gear set. I just need to make it drivable so I can tear apart the rear end and see how bad it is….then possibly, just possibly I will order a new set for the front and back axels…..I am pretty sure no one here is capable of doing it. As a last resort I will throw it on a trailer and take it to a good 4 by 4 shop. Sorry for the crappy pictures.
If you are reusing old gears do not try to change the pinion depth as you already have an established pattern and do not want to change that. You also do not want to try make your backlash too tight. Unless you know what the backlash was before you tore the diff down I would shoot for .010 and not any tighter. Any real changes especially pinion depth run the risk of the gears making noise.

Reactions: hosejockey61
Welp, that explains it. If you are not installing a new gear set, then no need to do the entire setup procedure. Simply replace the bearings with the same shims in the same location (hopefully you know what those numbers were). If your axle has a crush sleeve, then tighten that to the spec preload, usually 16-20 thou.

If you try to set up used gears (in a different housing), you can't do the normal procedure as your gears are already work hardened. In that case, it's best to paint a pattern BEFORE disassembly and then try to get your install pattern to match it. Not worth the effort IMHO.

Reactions: Blackjack
I have found setting gear pattern use a light coat of marking compound on clean gears. I see lists of posts with marking compound smeared all over the compound will transfer from one gear to the next making a clear pattern hard to see. I also wrap a rag around the pinion and pull down on it then use a wrench on the ring gear bolt to rotate the gears in the pattern marking compound to add some resistance or I hold the ring gear with a rag and rotate the pinion. Adding some resistance helps getting a clear pattern.

Lol, I will put it back to the original set up. Sorry for the confusion guys for the record the first one I did with the blue is what it looked like.