Goodbye Guys

The 70 series is bigger than anything we get except for the 200 series and the tundra.
They dont look as "tough" though! lol, Hilux utes (trucks) are still the top selling utes in Australia but they are not as big as a Tundra or Tacoma plus you are hard pressed to get a crew cab 99% of utes are now Dual cab and single cabs are all tray back cab chassis.

I'm planning 1400 mile round trip at the end of the year and my 98 TJ does require some maintenance to make the journey there and back (really looking forward to it by the way ) but the part of the fun is sorting out all the bits I need to do before I go...Its the same for any 24 year old vehicle.
In my opinion its what makes my Jeep have character not like a clinical soul-less new car.

1649496039022.png

Reactions: TheBoogieman
@P1W you’ll like the Runner. If you get a TRD, all the 4wd/crawl options are fun to play with.
This was my runner before I sold it for a truck…ragrets! 😢

E2841D99-FC39-4E76-92FC-AB406DABC4D1.jpeg

Reactions: P1W
I took mine to the Floriday Keys. It was 1200 miles one way. It was a fun 16 hour drive getting there. The trip back seemed more like 30 hours.
Our roads out here are so bad that it will take me 15 hours one way to do 600 miles haha...plus a 3 hour ferry ride between the islands

• Wow
Well guys, it was nice while it lasted. I sold my TJ a couple days ago. I really loved driving that thing. I just didn't feel it was reliable enough and because of that I rarely took long wheeling trips. The thought of breaking down a hundred miles from home was unsettling. A trip to Moab was never going to happen....until now. I will be picking up my 2022 TRD Off Road Premium next week.

I appreciate all the help I received from the Forum. You guys truly know your sh!t and without the support I probably wouldn't have lasted as long as I did.

I wIsh you all the best...even Blaine. Take care!!!
Too bad you sold your TJ. I got a 2018 4x4 manual 6 speed, and is nice ( good on gas ), BUT, NOTHING like a Jeep. I actually got the TJ after the Taco. You will love it, but YOU WILL MISS THE TJ FOREVER, so hang around, you will someday buy another TJ.......

@P1W you’ll like the Runner. If you get a TRD, all the 4wd/crawl options are fun to play with.
This was my runner before I sold it for a truck…ragrets! 😢

View attachment 321587
Was it any good offroad? When I did red cone last year I was behind a group of like 10 of these looking built (but maybe they only paid for aesthetic stuff idk) and they all were struggling at some washout that my party of jeeps had no struggle on. They actually had to pull over and let us go around. Still not sure if it was the vehicle or the operators

My wife and I drove our YJ on a 3500-mile vacation from Arkansas to Yellowstone and back through Sturgis and Custer SD. Had one no-start condition caused by a corroded battery connection. 10 minutes and we were on our way again.

My wife and I drove our YJ on a 3500-mile vacation from Arkansas to Yellowstone and back through Sturgis and Custer SD. Had one no-start condition caused by a corroded battery connection. 10 minutes and we were on our way again.
That's a long trip, especially in a YJ. :)

Good buy.

This is the comfort adventure vehicle.

Can run about 60% of what I do with the LJ. Mostly due to it’s my daily and I have mechanical sympathy for it.

FBF6094-E-F2-B3-49-B6-B73-E-FFB1-C619-C13-C.jpg

Reactions: P1W
Was it any good offroad? When I did red cone last year I was behind a group of like 10 of these looking built (but maybe they only paid for aesthetic stuff idk) and they all were struggling at some washout that my party of jeeps had no struggle on. They actually had to pull over and let us go around. Still not sure if it was the vehicle or the operators
Took it to uwharrie once in stock form, easy trails..kind of scary taking a $40k vehicle on trails with rocks. Another time in soft sand coming over a hill. Used the crawl assist buttons… came up and over easily.
That being said, I don’t think Runners should be taken in the same type of trails as jeeps, if say they both had a 2” lift and 33’s. Just not capable in that sense.
I think if anyone is looking for an over lander with easy to medium trails, it works perfect. My wife just wanted a functional Runner that could handle just that.

Reactions: lBasket
@lBasket
Took it to uwharrie once in stock form, easy trails..kind of scary taking a $40k vehicle on trails with rocks. Another time in soft sand coming over a hill. Used the crawl assist buttons… came up and over easily.
That being said, I don’t think Runners should be taken in the same type of trails as jeeps, if say they both had a 2” lift and 33’s. Just not capable in that sense.
I think if anyone is looking for an over lander with easy to medium trails, it works perfect. My wife just wanted a functional Runner that could handle just that.

Reactions: lBasket
@lBasket
Okay yeah that sounds about right. The TRD has lockers doesn't it? I was surprised they were having trouble but that does make sense. Bet it's comfortable though lol nothing like the wind on the highway in a TJ lol

I've run several trails at Windrock where "JK Bro's" told me I should turn around and wouldn't make it.

Sure you lift wheels and always have the specter of a CV shattering, but the 5th gen locked with Atrac on does some serious work.

That said I use it for family adventures into the woods, camping, and moderate wheeling - only because it is my daily.

Uwharrie, LBL, Franklin St. Forest, Ozarks, etc... yeah I'm taking the 4R as its more comfortable on both the pavement and moderate trails you find in most "overland / touring" areas.

After running the Red Clay Rally in the LJ - which had a lot of hard wheeling - I'm contemplating taking the 4R over the LJ this year. There were a ton of 100 series, 4R, Tacomas, and FJ's at the rally and they did better than the solid axle crew on the the long boggy / mud filled / rut nightmare due to better ground clearance (no diff pumpkin). Keep in mind these were all very well modified and on 33-35's for the most part.

Actually took the 4R to Windrock for the Shamrock Shakedown last month over the LJ and had a blast, hitting several blacks in it.

I'm just grateful to be in a position to have both and I do have more fun in the LJ simply because its purpose in the driveway is to get wheeled.

image000000.jpg

I've run several trails at Windrock where "JK Bro's" told me I should turn around and wouldn't make it.

Sure you lift wheels and always have the specter of a CV shattering, but the 5th gen locked with Atrac on does some serious work.

That said I use it for family adventures into the woods, camping, and moderate wheeling - only because it is my daily.

Uwharrie, LBL, Franklin St. Forest, Ozarks, etc... yeah I'm taking the 4R as its more comfortable on both the pavement and moderate trails you find in most "overland / touring" areas.

After running the Red Clay Rally in the LJ - which had a lot of hard wheeling - I'm contemplating taking the 4R over the LJ this year. There were a ton of 100 series, 4R, Tacomas, and FJ's at the rally and they did better than the solid axle crew on the the long boggy / mud through / rut nightmare due to better ground clearance (no diff pumpkin). Keep in mind these were all very well modified and on 33-35's for the most part.

Actually took the 4R to Windrock for the Shamrock Shakedown last month over the LJ and had a blast, hitting several blacks in it.

I'm just grateful to be in a position to have both and I do have more fun in the LJ simply because its purpose in the driveway is to get wheeled.
The obstacle I mentioned was a washout where it was deep holes on alternating sides - it seemed to me with IFS didn't handle it as well as a solid axle. I think as the one side got pushed up in our jeeps, it pushed the over side down into the pit. With IFS, the other side just floated. Although that wouldn't be much of a problem. No clue if they had them or turned them on they refused to talk to me lol.