Got a new project thrown at me yesterday.i

DavidBT

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
I was driving around testing my mxt275 mobile and my uv-5r with my sister in-laws help yesterday. The good part, we were able to talk to each other about 5 miles across a couple different neighborhoods. She was at home with the uv-5r and one of my Motorola's I picked up at Costco several years ago. I could hear both HT's clearly. Now the bad part. Stopped to grab some beer at a local store and when I came out there was steam and fluid under the jeep. I loosened the radiator cap and was able to get it home without over heating. So the top tank split with about a 6" crack. I haven't done any major mechanical work in quite awhile, but I ordered all the parts to replace all the cooling parts and will be attempting this in my driveway. I've read quite a few posts already and will be checking out more as I go. And watch quite a few YouTube videos too.

mopar is the radiator you want. easy enough to swap out. highly recommend a thermocure complete flush. 8mm square socket for the block drain plug. use proper coolant and distilled water.

Reactions: Peppergat
mopar is the radiator you want. easy enough to swap out. highly recommend a thermocure complete flush. 8mm square socket for the block drain plug. use proper coolant and distilled water.

With the bad radiator, should I try and flush it before or after? I'm planning on replacing the water pump, and thermostat also. Also doing the idler arm and fan clutch while I have everything apart.

Reactions: txbemis69
With the bad radiator, should I try and flush it before or after? I'm planning on replacing the water pump, and thermostat also. Also doing the idler arm and fan clutch while I have everything apart.

i flushed mine with the old radiator in the jeep. just stayed close to the house while out driving around. i left the thermocure in for three days of sporadic driving. pulled block drain plug to get as much old fluid out as possible. filled with distilled water and drove it a couple more days and drained the system again. next day was radiator swap with zerex go-5 coolant and distilled water mixed 50/50.

i flushed mine with the old radiator in the jeep. just stayed close to the house while out driving around. i left the thermocure in for three days of sporadic driving. pulled block drain plug to get as much old fluid out as possible. filled with distilled water and drove it a couple more days and drained the system again. next day was radiator swap with zerex go-5 coolant and distilled water mixed 50/50.

I was thinking about taking the radiator with me to Tucson when I pick up the new one. I wasn't having any over heating problems, I was just going to flush the block with a hose.

mine started leaking where the aluminum is pinched to the plastic at first and was a slow leak. then the plastic tank split right beside the cap. split was approx. 4-5 inches long. with it leaking fairly well i didn’t want to get to far from the house as i didn’t want to get it over heated/stranded. my jeep only has 55k miles on it so i left water pump and t-stat alone. did replace both radiator hoses while there. good luck on yours!

Reactions: DavidBT