Got an email from Bestop

Not sure how this would improve the Sunrider function; seems more like eliminating it...
From what I could check just now, the left 'arm' measures just short of 25", end-to-end of the metal tube.
View attachment 388798

you’d be converting your front section into a trektop version.. no fold just a flip back so it would actually make the sun rider function bigger.

i’ll be back at my jeep in a few hours but i’ll measure mine and will report back

Reactions: WestCoastDan
My rear & side windows were removed entirely… and I was still getting bludgeoned in the head by the top while driving in my neighborhood.

Sorry man. Worth a shot mentioning it.

If I had the time and materials on-hand, I'd throw a strap together for you to try for free.

My manual mentioned its use and that's why I got one and even suggested it here.

2005 Manual.jpg

The Sunrider is a great feature, I use it all the time. Hopefully you can get yours straightened out.

As to Bestop, I agree they could give the aftermarket shopper a litte better guidance. I'm scared that whenever I end up doing a Replace-A-Top, something will be off and it'll disappoint the hell out of me.

I also wish they (and all companies, truthfully) did a MUCH better job of archiving digital documentation on their old products so current customers can see what the situation was when something was offered as new, sold, or installed. Especially when we're not the original owners of something that was offered or purchased 15+ years ago.

I suspect that Sunrider was never designed for highway speeds, more likely just around town. I never liked or used mine and it was only open at Bestop's photoshoot when they came to San Diego to take photos of my TJ and someone else's CJ with new Bestop tops they comped us.

This shows how Bestop positioned it for the shoot so yours looks like how they did it. That hottie was in their marketing department, that was a fun day on the beach back in around 2011.

View attachment 388707

View attachment 388708 :)

According to the manual, you were good to go highway speed if you removed the rear window.

05 sunrider note.jpg

Reactions: WestCoastDan
I finally received additional feedback from Bestop.

They created a case and sent me an email, to which I could not reply because their server was not properly configured.
I reached out to them from their website and referenced the case # in the original email, other wise i would have had to start from scratch.

As it is, I had to provide them with photos (again), proof of purchase (again), and a detailed description of the issue (again).

This time, they replied that there is a support strap that 'might' solve the issue, but they do not have any in stock at this time.
I should receive one as soon as they are available.

I can't wait to see what they provide...

I finally received additional feedback from Bestop.

They created a case and sent me an email, to which I could not reply because their server was not properly configured.
I reached out to them from their website and referenced the case # in the original email, other wise i would have had to start from scratch.

As it is, I had to provide them with photos (again), proof of purchase (again), and a detailed description of the issue (again).

This time, they replied that there is a support strap that 'might' solve the issue, but they do not have any in stock at this time.
I should receive one as soon as they are available.

I can't wait to see what they provide...

i knew i forgot something lmao..

measurement of my straight bar is exactly 26" from end to eyelet so in theory, if they were to send you those two bars, you could cut them to the right length and see what happens.

after thinking about it though, i wonder what would happen if you were to just remove this support bolt:

1674518119457.png

it looks like that's what's keeping the rear-most half of the front sunrider in the down position. if you remove it on both sides, does it allow the sunrider to open all the way up?

Last edited:
i knew i forgot something lmao..

measurement of my straight bar is exactly 26" from end to eyelet so in theory, if they were to send you those two bars, you could cut them to the right length and see what happens.

after thinking about it though, i wonder what would happen if you were to just remove this support bolt:

View attachment 394439
it looks like that's what's keeping the rear-most half of the front sunrider in the down position. if you remove it on both sides, does it allow the sunrider to open all the way up?

I'll have to look at how that "2nd section" folds back on mine...

Do you want a strap? I’m sure I have the 1” webbing and I have both the adjustment buckle and a hook…. I can make one for you.

This is a very generous offer.
I’m not looking to put anyone out.
How about if I don’t get one from Bestop in, say 30 days I’ll reach back out?

Reactions: MikekiM
I have the Bestop supertop NX which is basically like a factory style replacement. So far it has been great. The only disappointment I've had with it is the stupid reflective tramp stamp on the back that was an unexpected surprised not shown in the pictures on the site.