Got hit and insurance wants to salvage my TJ

myjeep3

TJ Enthusiast
Someone ran into my jeep and flipped over. Spoke with the insurance guy, and he asking if i have the title. He trying to salvage the truck, but
it took make millions hours to restore it from bottom up.. Can see it https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/1997-wrangler-tj-tub-off-restoration-build.25434/

How to deal with insurance in this case? don't want to lose the truck nor have a salvage title.
Please advise. Some pics of the damage.. Easy and quick to fix.

20210619_235646.jpg

20210621_170642.jpg

You should be able to keep your Jeep. They should just pay you the value of the Jeep prior to being damaged minus the value of what your Jeep is now worth wrecked. When my brothers car got totaled he was able to keep it and they just took a certain amount of money off of what they were going to give him for it. As far as keeping the Jeep from having a salvaged title I don’t know anything about that. Contact the agent your dealing with and tell them you want the Jeep. Don’t accept a check or give them your title until you’ve talked to them about keeping the Jeep. That way they can’t say a deal has already been made.

Reactions: Ephry73
You should be able to keep your Jeep. They should just pay you the value of the Jeep prior to being damaged minus the value of what your Jeep is now worth wrecked. When my brothers car got totaled he was able to keep it and they just took a certain amount of money off of what they were going to give him for it. As far as keeping the Jeep from having a salvaged title I don’t know anything about that. Contact the agent your dealing with and tell them you want the Jeep. Don’t accept a check or give them your title until you’ve talked to them about keeping the Jeep. That way they can’t say a deal has already been made.

Thanks for the reply. Did he get a salvage title? The repair is easy, am just trying to avoid a salvage title.

Try if you can, but unfortunately insurance co's are pretty quick to total vehicles these days because most of the body shops will rip them off. Just make it clear that you want to buy it back. It will have a salvage title, but not much you can do about it.

Try if you can, but unfortunately insurance co's are pretty quick to total vehicles these days because most of the body shops will rip them off. Just make it clear that you want to buy it back. It will have a salvage title, but not much you can do about it.
with a salvage title, will i have to apply for a branded title after?

Just be careful because once they declare it totaled the insurance is essentially expired on the vehicle. You don't need to turn over the title for that to happen. You don't want to drive it if declared totaled or you could be up the creek of you're in an accident.

You can try to negotiate with them. I had a Durango that was declared totaled a long time ago when I was younger. I was underwater with the loan and wouldn't have been able to afford anything else. I negotiated to repair it with only used parts and they agreed...no salvage title either. Maybe if you say you'll do the work yourself, they will bite. With an older vehicle less likely to happen though.

Fight it tooth and nail! Insurance companies LOVE to total vehicles. It took me 5 weeks, but State Farm finally saw it my way back in 2011. I'd just keep refusing, and consult a lawyer. "The vehicle was FINE until your client hit it."

if that is all of the damage dont make a claim and fix it yourself at a body shop. Good excuse to add some body armor to the rear corner.

edit- is the door fully closed and its off that much?

Everything in the insurance world is numbers.
Nothing more..nothing less.

They can't MAKE you salvage the Jeep.
That said a total loss claim will be less money than fixing it properly.

You need to weigh how much that is...(might surprise you)
The insurance company will give you the replacement market value within a 100 mile radius of your residence.
It's the law. In other words they can't give you the lowest number from any market in the country. Your replacement value will be the real world market value within a 100 mile radius of your residence.

Sometimes people have taken the total loss claim...then did a buy back on the vehicle at a reduced number.

You also can take a number from them..fix it yourself...and all is good.
Just know if that happens you can never go back on them wanting more. As in if later on you found out the frame was twisted etc...you can't reneg on your decision.

Things that also get factored in for your value would be things someone added.
But it's not everything!!
On a Jeep it would be...
Winch
Hitch
Side steps
Aluminum or chrome Wheels
Hard top
Premium radio
Fog lights

That's about it on a Jeep.

These things get factored in as they're an improvement over stock and someone (you) paid to buy/install them.

Are you dealing with your insurance company or the other motorist?

Everything in the insurance world is numbers.
Nothing more..nothing less.

They can't MAKE you salvage the Jeep.
That said a total loss claim will be less money than fixing it properly.

You need to weigh how much that is...(might surprise you)
The insurance company will give you the replacement market value within a 100 mile radius of your residence.
It's the law. In other words they can't give you the lowest number from any market in the country. Your replacement value will be the real world market value within a 100 mile radius of your residence.

Sometimes people have taken the total loss claim...then did a buy back on the vehicle at a reduced number.

You also can take a number from them..fix it yourself...and all is good.
Just know if that happens you can never go back on them wanting more. As in if later on you found out the frame was twisted etc...you can't reneg on your decision.

Things that also get factored in for your value would be things someone added.
But it's not everything!!
On a Jeep it would be...
Winch
Hitch
Side steps
Aluminum or chrome Wheels
Hard top
Premium radio
Fog lights

That's about it on a Jeep.

These things get factored in as they're an improvement over stock and someone (you) paid to buy/install them.

Are you dealing with your insurance company or the other motorist?
Dealing with the other insurance. Will probably cost me less then 1000 to fix it. I put a lot of time into restoring it, so dont want to let it go. How is the value determined? Is it based on sale price for the same year and mileage?
Dont mind taking less number and repair it.

if that is all of the damage dont make a claim and fix it yourself at a body shop. Good excuse to add some body armor to the rear corner.

edit- is the door fully closed and its off that much?
door isnt closed fully.

Dealing with the other insurance. Will probably cost me less then 1000 to fix it. I put a lot of time into restoring it, so dont want to let it go. How is the value determined? Is it based on sale price for the same year and mileage?
Dont mind taking less number and repair it.
Insurance companies gather information on used vehicle values geographically.
They go to great lengths in setting a replacement value for a total loss claim.
Example...
They have field reps throughout regions of the country who visit used dealers and note...
Year, make, model and mileage
And all the equipment on the vehicle.
A GMC Denali will have a lot more equipment obviously than a TJ Wrangler but nothing goes unnoticed even in plainly equipped Jeep.

Extra things on a TJ that get factored in would be...
Winch
Hard top
Aluminum or chrome wheels (not fancy wheel covers)
Fog lights
Tinted glass
Rollover protection (they all have it but it still gets marked)
Hitch
Aftermarket radio is considered a premium sound system
Grill guard
Side steps
And a few others....

Some of the above equipment may or may not be factory installed but it's noted because say your Jeep came with steel wheels but you put aluminum wheels on.
Fog lights weren't on from the factory but you added them.
Someone (you) paid to add those things and they get noted so the unfortunate motorist can't say i added this and that but not getting money for thosr extras.

Of course the most important piece of the puzzle is how much it's being sold for equipped in such a fashion.

All of this information gets entered into a huge database.
The adjuster will assess the damage and once certain things are entered into their computer program it will say fix it or total it.
If it says total loss that's when all the above information the insurance companies gather comes in play.

Your replacement value will be based on all the info gathered from the reps and the replacement market value within a 100 mile radius of your address.

TJ's are getting more scarce so other items will have to be used...internet, private sellers, possibly expanding further than 100 miles. (If not enough entries are in the system within 100 miles) they'll do more to get you an accurate replacement number.

It will be interesting to see what number they give you for a total loss claim.

My advice...get your number and then discuss some options with the adjuster.
Don't discuss options first. They don't need to know how bad you want to keep it.
Get your replacement number...then discuss different avenues.
Remember the Insurance company isn't opposed to easier routes of remedy for themselves too. (No rollback...no auctions...etc. )

Keep me posted and good luck.

Reactions: myjeep3
They hit you. They have to pay to fix your car. You do not have to accept what their insurance company says. You can and should say no. Go get some estimates for repair and start from there. This will be a negotiation and you need to take control of it.

Most importantly, they are basing the value for totaling it on a basic, 20 year old TJ. Yours is a fully restored TJ with lots of mods and you have it all documented. So, because the value of your TJ is much higher than a worn out stocker, they may not be able to pull the total card.

Threaten a lawsuit. You will be suing the driver/owner of the car (not the insurance co.). They are ultimately responsible for paying for the damages if the insurance co doesn't pay in full. For example, a person hit the front of my car and their insurance company wanted to put aftermarket parts on my car. I said no. It has to be factory due to how thin the metal gets on the Chinese fenders. Ultimately, the person that hit me had to write a check for the diff between aftermarket and factory parts because their policy only paid for aftermarket parts. My point is you don't have to accept what the insurance co. says.

I don't know the laws in your state, but it is best to call an attorney. The first consultation is usually free.

Any receipts for parts and/or work you had done will help get the value number higher. I’ve had that work in my favor in the past.

Personally, I always file a claim through my insurance and pay any deductible up front. I pay them, they fight for me, and then the deductible gets reimbursed once fault is officially determined and they get paid. So much less to deal with, and as far as I'm concerned you pay for that service with your premiums.

Reactions: srimes
Several years ago I was in a wreck while driving my '92 Geo Metro (my commuter car). The drivers side fender was crushed and they totaled my car. I told them I wanted to keep the car. They gave me a check for the value of the car (minus savage value) and I kept the car. Went to the junk yard, got a new bumper (and an alignment) and drove the car for another three years. The title was unchanged. If you don't turn the title over to them, I don't see how they can change it to a savage title.

Personally, I always file a claim through my insurance and pay any deductible up front. I pay them, they fight for me, and then the deductible gets reimbursed once fault is officially determined and they get paid. So much less to deal with, and as far as I'm concerned you pay for that service with your premiums.
Only when you have full coverage they will do that. Otherwise you must negotiate personally with the other insurance.

Several years ago I was in a wreck while driving my '92 Geo Metro (my commuter car). The drivers side fender was crushed and they totaled my car. I told them I wanted to keep the car. They gave me a check for the value of the car (minus savage value) and I kept the car. Went to the junk yard, got a new bumper (and an alignment) and drove the car for another three years. The title was unchanged. If you don't turn the title over to them, I don't see how they can change it to a savage title.
Good stuff.