Got my Warn 8274 home

John Cooper

TJ Expert
Supporting Member
Ride of the Month Winner
Got the wire rope off and getting ready to start cleaning it up and shining it up.

20240324_185141.jpg

Going to get a new plug and remote, clean, service and install hopefully before summer.

Congrats

@Blackjack is a great resource for all things having to do with winches, especially the 8274. He also sells the synthetic rope to fill the reel that he and mrblaine sourced.

@Wildman has quite a few 8274's and has done some upgrades. Anyway, they are good ones to help with what to look for when tearing it down and part numbers for rebuild parts.

If you need some help let me know. I'm not as knowledgeable as @Blackjack about them but I know a little about nothing.

You got it!!!!

I will be running a WRG winch rope and Blaine's ST fairlead.

I know Blackjacks line is longer, but I am on a tight limited budget right now.

Winning ride of the month really helped out a lot!!!!!!

This winch is in super good shape!!!! Got the top cover off, the oil in the bottom still looks great, I need to clean the inside of the top cover some, but I'm not going to have to do much!!!!!!

What does everyone use to seal the cover back on, and also where are you getting the bolts and nuts for the top and also for the mounting points. Ebay??

Reactions: Blackjack
This winch is in super good shape!!!! Got the top cover off, the oil in the bottom still looks great, I need to clean the inside of the top cover some, but I'm not going to have to do much!!!!!!

What does everyone use to seal the cover back on, and also where are you getting the bolts and nuts for the top and also for the mounting points. Ebay??

A thin bead of RTV around the top is all you need.
You can buy the mounting nuts from a few vendors. I'm in the garage so I'll get a link later.
@Blackjack might have them also?

Now is a good time to reseal the drum and all the other seals. You can get kits on Amazon or from other vendors also.

Warn originally used clear silicone but I use Ultra Black as that is what I keep around.

Once you get it apart give me a list and I will round up what you need.

Warn originally used clear silicone but I use Ultra Black as that is what I keep around.

Once you get it apart give me a list and I will round up what you need.

I have the Ultra Black here also.

All I think I need is the 3 top cover bolts and nuts and the 4 mounting bolts and nuts.

If you can point me in the right direction to get them I would appreciate it!!!!

Reactions: Wildman
Fastenal crossover for 8274:

Top bolts, SHCS 5/16 - 18 x 3/4" 93253
Top bolt sq nuts, 5/16 - 18 0170852 stainless steel (or zinc pack of 5 2137622)
Mount sq nuts, 7/16 - 14 37626
Freespool cover, 10 - 24 x 3/8 0148126

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07BNYSFDB/?tag=wranglerorg-20
These are the sq nuts for the top. I got these before finding Fastenal hardware.

Mount bolts are 7/16 - 14, depends on the mount as to how long, usually 1 1/2 grade 8.

Last edited: