Got tips? ...on a lift install...

TJ_KY

Hey all, I am new to the forum and I am installing a 2" BDS lift on my 2000 TJ this weekend. Any tips/tricks from those who have done it themselves would be greatly appreciated. I am also going to attempt to do a toe-in alignment after, so tips there would be great as well.

My suggestion for installing the lift is not to use spring compressors. I used them on my first lift install and they were more of a pain in the ass than anything.

The second time I put on a lift I unbolted the sway bar end links, the track bar, the brake calipers (I tied them up and out of the way with some wire) and let the axle fully drop to the ground while the Jeep was up on 4 jack stands.

That made life way easier than the annoying, cumbersome spring compressors.

Check out this thread by @Jerry Bransford regards to alignment and toe-in:
How to align your Jeep Wrangler TJ

Don't forget to loosen the control arms to allow the bushings to unload prior to installing the springs. Don't torque them back down until it's sitting under its own weight on the ground.

Start soaking the bolts in penetrating oil ASAP!

Reactions: Chris
X2 on not using a spring compressor, they're a PITA and can be dangerous. What I would start doing TODAY is spraying all of the nuts & bolts you will be removing with a product like Kroil or Liquid Wrench. No, WD-40 is not a suitable substitute unless you can find WD-40's new Penetrant which is similar to Liquid Wrench. By today, I mean today. Penetrants need time to work and if you give it enough time, it'll make all the nuts & bolts a lot easier to get apart if there's any rust or corrosion present.

And when you have the frame up on jack stands, support the axle with a floor jack so you can keep it under control as you unbolt things. Once you get the shocks, antiswaybar links, and track bar unbolted you can lower the axle with the jack so it will droop enough to allow the springs to be easily replaced.

Last edited:
Thanks all. Great tips. I was planning on borrowing the spring compressors from autozone, but my buddy who is helping me also said we likely wont need them. I have access to a vehicle lift, so I am hoping that'll make things a little easier as well. I will definitely load the bolts/nuts up with some liquid wrench today. I should have been doing it all week. lol Luckily I am doing it on Sunday, so I have today and tomorrow to keep spraying them. Is there a list of torq specs for all these bolts? I have a Haynes manual, so I can look in there as well.

Thanks!

Yeah, trust us on avoiding the spring compressors. Those things are seriously the biggest pain in the ass.

Reactions: TJ_KY
Not much to add other than start hosing all the bolts down with penetrant. You will see that once the control arms are loose, and the shocks, sway bars, and track bars are disco'd, the springs literally fall out.

Get some pics up when you are done.:headbang:

Reactions: TJ_KY
Not much to add other than start hosing all the bolts down with penetrant. You will see that once the control arms are loose, and the shocks, sway bars, and track bars are disco'd, the springs literally fall out.

Get some pics up when you are done.:headbang:

Thanks! I'll try and remember to get some good before/after photos. After photos will be easy since I can get those anytime haha

Here is a before and after shot! Thanks all for your help. The hardest part was reattaching the lower control arms (all 4 were pretty difficult). I ended up using the spring compressors on the rear coils, just barely had to compress them. I was able to get the front coils on without compressing.
IMG_2094.jpg

Looks so much better! If it were me I might put factory flares back on. I only say that because those bushcrackers look a little too wide for those wheels / tires.

Other than that, PERFECT!