Gotta sell one, 99 TJ Sahara or 06 LJ?

B.E. Coyote

I am new to Jeeps. Last week I didn't own one. Now I own 2.

This may be too long for some.

I know right off the bat that the LJ being harder to find is probably the quick choice, but limited funds, storage and use come into play. I looked for a long time and either looked at junk or the nice jeeps sold in hours before I could get in line. I kind of settled when I bought the 99 but it is growing on me. Days later the LJ popped up. Right place, right time and I bought it out of passion not putting a ton of thought into it.

I have a small camp in WV. I am getting a little old for the dual sport motorcycles I have been riding and transitioning to jeeps or something else.

My plan was to buy a cheap Jeep to keep there. It would probably stay outside 8 months a year and in a shipping container the other 4 months, Maybe make the 500 mile round trip home once a year for a week of maintenance. Mostly exploring FS roads and very easy 4x4 trails.

The TJ, I could probably sell for around $6500 . It has 190k on it. Rebuilt title from an accident in 06 when it had 60k on it. I know that lowers the value but I'm not concerned about mechanical issues from the accident at this point. 3" lift plus a 1" body lift. 3 speed auto (preferred?), 4.0. No CEL but the AC does not work. New soft top which I prefer to a hard top. The frame is awesome. Nicest one I have seen in all the TJs that I looked at. Interior is also very nice. 30/35 with the 3.07 gearing. Currently on 33's.. Actually drives fine and would likely be fine for what I would want to do with it now. Maybe down the line I would need to re-gear or change the axles etc.

The LJ I could probably sell for 12k. Has 170k on it. It is my favorite color bright yellow. 3" lift with a hard top. I would need to spend 1k on a soft top. 4 speed, 3 inch lift. Dana 30 in front, Dana 44 in back with the limited slip. 3.73 gearing. Frame has some light surface rust and I can find some flakes poking around inside the frame. Cold AC. Fuel gauge only reads full. Probably an easy fix but I haven't looked at it at all.

I'm leaning towards selling the LJ right now. I like it better but am thinking it is too valuable to sit outside unattended for long stretches and if I do get into "wheeling" I'd feel bad about dents and scratches where as with the 99' I would not care at all.

Keeping both isn't an option.

20210710_111417.jpg

I own both, so here's my take. Given limited funds, your described use, and the clean nature of the TJ, sell the LJ. You can use some of the funds to fix the TJ A/C, which is simple on a 1999 ( The A/C compressor is up top and easy to access/fix). With that done, you can drive the TJ and enjoy it.

I would love the yellow LJ I was looking for some time before I came across my TJ. If we were closer I would buy your LJ or interest you in my TJ haha but GLWS

Reactions: Irun
I would DEFINTELY sell the 06 LJ and Keep the 02 TJ. 2005/6 models have a couple potential problems that would absolutely prevent me from buying one.

Ahhh the fat finger strikes again. Yes 3 years of production and Jerry brings up a good point about the trouble years of the LJ too. With the crazy prices LJ's and their hardtops are bringing I would split the two and sell them.

Leaning towards the LJ going. I did see the tops can go for 1800 and up but if I split them I would have to buy a new soft top for it. If it had both tops I would consider it.

So what are the problems with the '05 and '06 TJ/LJ???
The OPDA (oil pump drive assembly) assembly was redesigned in 05 which caused a serious lubrication problem for itself. If it happens and it's not resolved right away it can take the cam out. There have been two aftermarket kits designed to help with that problem but neither proved to be a 100% permanent fix in all cases. Not to mention they're not always easy to get installed and working properly due to how installing it will screw up the engine timing if you don't get it right.

This forum has a thread on the OPDA issue at https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/what-is-the-opda-and-do-i-need-to-change-mine.80/

The other problem is with the automatic transmission controller which has some serious software bugs in it. Fortunately there's finally a fix for that by replacing the PCM with one from www.wranglerfix.com but it's still something that would likely eventually happen with the automatic your LJ most likely has. Hard shifts, shifting problems, transmission lockup, overheating codes, etc.. Not to mention the 05/06 PCM can cause other issues like with the O2 sensors.

There are some who claim there aren't any problems but they're either clueless or purposely misleading people who no nothing about the above issues and not equipping them to make informed and educated decisions.

• Haha
Reactions: L J and FarFire70
it's funny how quickly any TJ/ LJ comparison thread derails in to mine is better than yours. Everyone know which is better.;)

It seems the OP has rationally weighed the pros and cons and knows the obvious choice would be to keep the TJ. The LJ is more sought after, will be an easy sell, and bring more money. A salvage TJ will be perfect to avoid crying over when it takes damage from wheeling or the environment. If this was going to be a daily driver or build the choice might be different.

Reactions: hear and SoCalGlide